- EBS (R12) can be deployed on OCI or OCI-C, to know more about OCI (Region, AD, FD, Tenancy, Compartment, VCN, IAM, Storage Service) click here and to understand the difference between OCI & OCI-C click here
- If you are a beginner then check 15 Things Apps DBAs Must Know on EBS on Cloud
In September 2018, Oracle released EBS Cloud Manager GUI to build & manage EBS (R12 on Cloud). Prior to this, there was Command Line Interface to Deploy EBS on OCI-C called EBS Cloud Admin Utility.
Note: EBS Cloud Manager is GUI that runs on its own VM with Load Balancer (LBaaS) and is used to centrally build & manage EBS R12 on OCI.
High-Level Steps to deploy Oracle EBS (R12) on Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI)
There are two steps to deploy Oracle EBS (R12) on Oracle Cloud Infrastructure. First & one time task is to deploy EBS Cloud Manager and then provision this with each EBS (R12) Environment every time you need. Below is the detailed description:
One Time Task
- Prepare Users/Groups (in both OCI & IDCS) to deploy EBS Cloud Manager VM on OCI.
- Create Network Resources (VCN, Subnet, Security List) to deploy EBS Cloud Manager VM on OCI.
- Create EBS Cloud Manager VM.
- Configure EBS Cloud Manager VM.
Tasks for each new EBS (R12) Environment
- Create Network Resources (Subnet, Security List) to deploy EBS Instance on OCI.
- Create EBS Instance using One-Click Provisioning on OCI using EBS Cloud Manager.
- Configure Post Install Steps & Access EBS on OCI
1. Prepare Users/Groups for EBS Cloud Manager on OCI:
- Create Group in IDCS and give this group role compute and Database.
Note: OCI since Dec 2017 is integrated with IDCS to protect OCI services like Compute, Database, Network etc. OCI has its own Groups too (apart from IDCS group) and later we’ll map IDCS Group with OCI Group.
- Create Group & IAM Policy in OCI: This group (keep name same as IDCS group so that it is easy to remember) will be mapped to IDCS Group and in IAM Policy, grant manage access to manage all resources in compartment & buckets (object storage) in tenancy.
Note: IAM Policies for OCI can only be applied to a group in OCI, the group in OCI will be mapped to a group in IDCS, and the user will be added to the group in IDCS.
- Create a user in IDCS: This user will be used to login to EBS Cloud Manager as Administrator. Add this user to IDCS group created above and also add role “Application Administrator” to this user.
Note: EBS CLoud Manager is GUI app used to build & manage EBS R12 on OCI. You need to create this user for every user that needs access to EBS Cloud Manager to build & manage EBS on OCI.
- Create a user in OCI: Create a user in OCI Console too with the same name as IDCS and add into OCI group, same group name as IDCS Group.
- Map Group in IDCS to the group in OCI under Federation section OCI where IDCS is IdP for OCI. This is covered in our Advanced IAM Module in Certified Oracle Cloud Architect [1Z0-932] course. If not already attended, register for FREE 2 Hours Masterclass on How to be a Certified Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Architect click here
- Create Virtual Cloud Network (VCN) in OCI for EBS Cloud Manager & EBS R12. This will be the network inside which your EBS Cloud Manager, EBS Database Tier, Application Tier, and Load Balancers will reside.
Note: You can use an existing VCN if already created in OCI or create a new one.
- Create VCN Internet Gateway (IGW), this will be used if this network on OCI needs to talk to the Internet.
- Create two Route Tables (of target type as Internet Gateway), one for EBS Cloud Manager and second for Load Balancer and both connecting to IGW created in the previous step.
- Create two Security List (Firewall)
a) One for EBS Cloud Manager and second for Load Balancer, In Security List (Firewall), allow port 22 for Ingress (Incoming) and All ports Egress (Outgoing).
b) Second, for Load Balancer, delete all Ingress/Egress Rules. These rules will be created by EBS Cloud Manager when creating Load Balancer as a Service (LBaaS).
- Create Three Subnets inside VCN created earlier.
a) One to Host EBS Cloud Manager
b) Two Subnets in different Availability Domain (AD) for Load Balancer in Active-Passive Mode.
Note: In OCI, there is two type of Load Balancers, Public & Private. Public Load Balancer is deployed in Active/Passive mode and needs two subnets in different Availability Domain (AD) & Later we’ll add 5 more subnects to existing VCN to configure
c) EBS Database Tier (Primary & Backup)
d) EBS Application Tier
e) EBS Load Balancer (Primary & Standby)
3. Create EBS Cloud Manager VM
- Download “EBS Cloud Manager” virtual machine image from Oracle eDelivery.
- Create Bucket in OCI Object Storage and copy EBS Cloud Manager image, downloaded in the previous step into this bucket.
Note: There is a different type of storage in OCI, like block, object storage, file storage service.
- Import Compute Image in OCI from the image uploaded in OCI’s Object Storage.
- Create EBS Cloud Manager VM (Compute) using image imported in the previous step.
- Upgrade EBS Cloud Manager to the latest version using Self Update Utility (selfUpdate.pl), follow 2434008.1 (Managing the Oracle E-Business Suite Cloud Manager Virtual Machine).
4. Configure EBS Cloud Manager VM
- Collect details required for EBS Cloud Manager Configuration like Region Name, OCID of Tenancy, Compartment, User created in IDCS & OCI.
- Run EBS Cloud Manager Script for first time to configure EBS Cloud Manager (perl /u01/install/APPS/apps-unlimited-ebs/bin/configure.pl).
Note: Prior to EBS Cloud Manager, CLI EBS Cloud Admin Tool to build & manage EBS. If you are migrating from EBS Cloud Admin tool to EBS Cloud Manager then use option 2 Upgrade.
a) Select Option 1: EBS Cloud Manager VM – Fresh Installation.
b) Provide a password for EBS Cloud Manager Admin user when prompted.
c) Provide required details when prompted like OCI Username, Compartment Name, API Public Key, OCID of User, Compartment, Tenancy etc.
d) Provide security list created earlier for EBSCM VM when prompted.
e) Choose Load Balancer created in past or create one.
f) Provide Subnet created earlier in which you wish to keep this load balancer (You must select two subnets in the different AD for Public Load Balancer as Primary & Standby LB).
g) Provide Security List associated with Load Balancer.
- Register EBS Cloud Manager as Confidential Application in IDCS.
- Run EBS Cloud Manager Script for the second time and enter details of IDCS application (Client ID, Secret, Tenant) created in the previous step & collect Login URL for EBS Cloud Manager Application.
- Use Login URL received from the previous step to login to EBS Cloud Manager and Access EBS Cloud Manager Console
5. Create Network Resource for Deploying EBS Instance on OCI using EBS Cloud Manager
Once EBS Cloud Manager is configured, the next task is to extend VCN (created for deploying EBS Cloud Manager) by adding more subnets for EBS created.
- You can run script ProvisionOCINetwork.pl script that will create additional subnets for “One-Click Provisioning”
a) Two subnets in different Availability Domains (ADs) for Hosting Primary & Secondary Load Balancer for EBS Apps Tier
b) Subnet for hosting EBS Application Tier
c) Subnet for Database Tier
d) Subnet for Backup Database
Note: Ensure that CIDR you select for Subnets here don’t overlap with CIDR you selected during EBS Cloud Manager Configuration earlier.
Note: Ensure to check logs /u01/install/APPS/apps-unlimited-ebs/out/ProvisionOCINetwork_[DAY][MON][DATE][HH][MM][SEC][YYYY].logNote: There are two type of provisioning using EBS Cloud Manager
a) Basic Provisioning
b) Advanced Provisioning
Above steps are for creating basic EBS Environment, If you want advanced EBS Provisioning then there will be additional network required for same.
6: Create EBS (R12) on Cloud using EBS Cloud Manager following One-Click Provisioning
Note: There are two type of provisioning using EBS Cloud Manager
a) Basic Provisioning
b) Advanced Provisioning
In this section, We deploy EBS R12 using One-Click Provisioning (Basic Provisioning).
- Login to EBS Cloud Manager.
- Access “EBS Cloud Manager Environment” page, Click “Provision Environment” and then click on “One-Click“.
- Select EBS R12 type that you want to deploy like Environment Name, EBS Type (Demo or Prod), EBS Version (12.2.x), Database Version (Ex 184.108.40.206) and hit submit.
- Monitor Provisioning Progress under “Activities” page on EBS Cloud Manager.
7: Perform Post-Provisioning
- Configure DNS Entry for EBS Hostname with IP Address. From machine (laptop/PC) where you are accessing EBS, make sure EBS Load Balancer Name is resolved to appropriate IP Address.
- (Conditional): EBS Database Tier can be deployed as IaaS or PaaS (1 Node VM DB System, RAC 2-Node VM DB System, Exadata DB System). If EBS Database Tier is deployed as Exadata DB System then update sqlnet.ora & create listener.ora on second Exadata VM Node.
- (Optional): Configure TLS/SSL to terminate at Load Balancer of EBS. Note: Load Balancer as a Service (LBaaS) in OCI will be used to terminate TLS at load balancer and traffic from Load Balancer to EBS Application Tier will be in clear text (If you want to configure TLS from Load Balancer to EBS Application Tier, you can do so)
Note: When you configure TLS to terminate as LBaaS, change following parameters in EBS Context File s_webentryurlprotocol, s_local_url_protocol, s_url_protocol, s_enable_sslterminator, s_active_webport, s_webssl_port, s_https_listen_parameter, s_external_url , s_login_page
- (Conditional): If running EBS R12.2, it uses WebLogic Server so open Admin Console port (default 7001/7002) from security list & on primary application tier add run on Host using “firewall-cmd”
- (Conditional): If creating Vision Demo type EBS on OCI, enable sysadmin user (enableSYSADMIN.sh) & demo users (enableDEMOusers.sh)
Note: Don’t run these two scripts on Fresh or Production Type EBS.
- Re-start Services on Database & Application Tier and Test Access
- Doc ID 2434500.1 Deploing Oracle E-Business Suite Cloud Manager on Oracle Cloud Infrastructure
- Doc ID 2438928.1 Requirements for Oracle E-Business Suite on Oracle Cloud Infrastructure
- Doc ID 2434008.1 Managing the Oracle E-Business Suite Cloud Manager Virtual Machine.
- Doc ID 2066260.1 Getting Started with Oracle E-Business Suite on Oracle Cloud
- Using One-Click Provisioning in Oracle E-Business Suite Cloud Manager on Oracle Cloud Infrastructure
- Using Advanced Provisioning in Oracle E-Business Suite Cloud Manager on Oracle Cloud Infrastructure
- Performing Post-Provisioning and Post-Cloning Tasks for Oracle E-Business Suite on Oracle Cloud Infrastructure
- Configure TLS at OCI Load Balancer
- EBS on Cloud Advance training
- Oracle EBS(R12) on Cloud for Apps DBAs & Architects Training Step By Step Activity Guides/Hands-On Lab Exercise
- E-Business Suite (EBS) on OCI | Block Volume Cloning | Automated Way
- Blog ([Q/A] Oracle EBS (R12) on Cloud: Database Tier on Cloud & Apps Tier On-Premise)
- Blog (Oracle EBS (R12) On-Premise to Cloud Migration (Lift & Shift) : 10 Things You Must Consider)
- [Video] Oracle EBS (R12) On Cloud Deployment Architecture: IaaS (OCI vs OCI-C) & PaaS (DBCS | DBaaS | ExaData CS)
- Oracle E-Business Suite (R12) On OCI for Apps DBAs
- Certification for EBS (R12) on Cloud for Oracle Apps DBAs
Next Task For You
If you are an Oracle Apps DBA and just starting out your journey to Oracle public Cloud then we highly recommend you to download our FREE Guide that contains 7 Things Every Oracle Apps DBA & Architect Must Know To Build & Manage EBS (R12) On Cloud in order to manage and migrate Oracle EBS R12 on Oracle Cloud.
Or Click on below image to get the Guide.