This post covers Oracle E-Business Suite (EBS) R12 on Cloud Deployment Architecture, from one of the lessons in our Build, Manage & Migrate (Lift & Shift) EBS (R12) on Cloud: Expert
- The video starts with why existing Oracle customers are moving to Cloud (I’ve highlighted just 5 of many reasons).
- We then look at IaaS & PaaS (two of three Service Models in Cloud)
- We also briefly look at Three-Tier Architecture of Oracle E-Business Suite R12 covering Database Tier, Application/Middle Tier & Client Tier)
- Finally, we discuss Database Tier of EBS can be deployed on either PaaS or IaaS whereas Application Tier can only be deployed on IaaS Service Model
So let’s have a look on below video for Oracle EBS (R12) On Cloud Deployment Architecture for Architects & Apps DBAs
Why are Customers Moving To Cloud?
These are a handful of many reasons why Customer are or will be moving to Cloud
- Cost: Running an application on Cloud is much cheaper compared to On-Premise because of no CapEx or better utilization of resources, standardization etc
- Managed Service Contract Renewable: For customers whose, applications are managed by third-party and these contacts are coming for renewal
- Quick Provisioning for new Projects: If you have new functionality to roll out, you need a few EBS Environments for Dev/QA/Bug Fixes etc. These environments can quickly (in hours) be provisioned by cloning from On-Premise using EBS Cloud Admin Tool in OCI -C & EBS Cloud Manager in OCI After the project, these additional environments can be recycled back so no cost to manage or no CapEx on this additional kit.
- Disaster Recovery (DR) on Cloud: Application Tier on DR side can be down and in Cloud cost for an environment that is down is very negligible (you only pay for Storage and that is very cheap on Cloud). Hybrid Cloud (where Primary Site is On-Premise and Database Tier is On-Cloud or Vice Versa) is a good example of how customers are getting started on Cloud.
- Exadata on Oracle Cloud with EBS R12: If you have heavy workload requirement and wish to use Exadata, cost of buying Exadata could be huge. You can use Pay as You Go Model (so no CapEx) for Exadata Machine when you run EBS on Cloud with Exadata Cloud Service for Database Tier of Oracle E-Business.
EBS (R12.2) Architecture
Before you check how to deploy Oracle Applications (EBS R12, JDEdward, Peoplesoft or Siebel) on Cloud, you should look at Architecture of Application that you wish to migrate to Cloud. That’s what I did in Video too where I mentioned about Three Tier Architecture of EBS (R12)
EBS (R12) Deployment Options on Cloud
Out of three-tier, Application or Middle Tier & Database Tier are Server side (while Client Tier is on User’s side) and can be deployed in the following model
EBS Middle/Application Tier
- Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI)
- Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Classic (OCI-C)
- Dedicated Compute, Sparc Model 300
EBS Database Tier
Oracle EBS Database Tier can be deployed either on IaaS or PaaS Service Model and within PaaS Service Model, it’ll be Database Cloud Service (DBCS). DBCS has few deployment options and out of them, two are supported for EBS (R12) on Cloud i.e. Database as a Service DBaaS and Exadata Cloud Service (Exa CS).
You can also configure Database Tier with RAC and for RAC you need to select appropriate Edition when select Database Edition.
- Oracle Compute (IaaS): OCI or OCI-C
- Database Cloud Service (DBCS/PaaS)
- Database as a Service (DBaaS)
- Exadata Cloud Service (Exa CS)
- RAC with DBaaS
To know how to deploy EBS On OCI using Cloud Manager Please check our previous post on Oracle EBS (R12) On Cloud (OCI)
If you are totally new to Oracle Cloud or EBS R12 on Cloud then follow these basic cloud concepts in my previous show or blog post
- Oracle EBS (R12) on Cloud: Architects Perspective: What and Why?
- Cloud Service Models (SaaS | PaaS | IaaS )
- Amazon AWS or Oracle Cloud (Confused ?): Right Choice for DBA’s
- To check tasks performed by Apps DBAs in Cloud here
- Role of Oracle Apps DBA in Cloud
- EBS on OCI | E-Business Suite Cloud Manager | Automation at its Ease
- Oracle EBS (R12) On Cloud (OCI): High-Level Steps
- EBS on Cloud Advance Training
- Oracle EBS(R12) on Cloud for Apps DBAs & Architects Training: Step By Step Activity Guides/Hands-On Lab Exercise
Next Task For You
If you are an Oracle Apps DBA and have not yet seen our FREE Guide 3 Docs every Oracle Apps DBA Must Read For Cloud, then I will highly recommend you to download