This blog gives 100 ft overview of Oracle application on OCI – Lift and Shift. Right from Consideration to Implementation of Oracle Application instances all the point will be covered
Note: OCI is part of IaaS Service model (other 2 Cloud Service models are SaaS & PaaS), where OCI is re-branding of Bare Metal Cloud Service (BMCS)
EBS on OCI – Why and How?
Running EBS on OCI the 2nd generation of IaaS Service Offered by Oracle. OCI consists of one of the best Enterprise-grade Infrastructure offerings and has many benefits against many cloud IaaS providers. The biggest benefit I could think of for the same is running Oracle on Oracle so complete Support, compliance and low latency network will be promised without say. Apart from this High availability and maximum performance and throughput of Oracle
Application from OCI can be leveraged by considering incomplete list as below:
- OCI is having multiple Compute options – VM and Bare Metal
- Quick Provisioning of instances
- Storage – Object and Block Storage with High and Dense IOPS.
- Low Network Latency
- Highly Secure Network )Public/Private Subnets)
- Pay as you go, Model
- Compliance with SOX, HIPPA etc
- Automated Backup and Recovery
- RAC Support
- High Availability and DR
- ScaleOut of all tiers
Now we can have multiple options of running EBS on OCI. We can go with fresh installation of EBS on OCI and use it for Production or Demo Purpose or we can bring our on-premise EBS migrated to OCI, that is Lift and Shift. So its question of Reimplementation and migration and both goes well as per the requirement and suitability.
Usually for re-implementation SaaS offering is available by Oracle which is fusion application product-specific instances and can be procured as public or private cloud on need basis from Oracle.
Things Good to Know
- Before moving Oracle applications to OCI consider the current architecture of Oracle application and options and offerings available at Oracle. Maybe you can get much better option within budget.
- Select the Best Suitable offering at Oracle. Which one to go with
- Collect the Peak loads timings and performance of Current On-premise applications and databases. Based on that you can select the server resources. OCI has got a wide variety of shapes available
Check the deployment Options available for Oracle EBS and based on the requirement you can select the options. Below gives high-level options overview.
Multiple options for Database to get better and wider choices
- High-Performance Database tier
- High Availability – RAC and Dataguard.
- Oracle Exadata
- Manual and Automated Lift and shift options available. The mostly Automatic option using EBS Cloud Admin Tool is preferred
- Automated Lift and Shift work in 2 steps Automated Lift and Shift works in 2 steps
- Backup the instance using Oracle Cloud Backup utility
- Create a new instance using Backup using EBS Cloud Admin Tool.
Quick 12 points to migrate EBS to OCI list is here:
- Prepare OCI tenancy environment, either manually or automatically define VCN.
- Prepare Compartment, network resources and create associate keys required.
- Prepare OCI tenancy with DBCS/Exadata CS.
- Create Subnets, Routing tables etc for Application and Database.
- Install and configure EBS Cloud Admin Tool.
- Always take the latest one.
- Configure the Backup Utility to take on-premise backup to Cloud Storage.
- Prepare the Configuration file which will automate the process.
- Prepare the Stage Area to take Backup of database and applications.
- Backup Oracle application Environment to cloud.
- Create the EBS environment from Backup taken above Post Lift and Shift Activities – Passwords
- Access the application and perform all basic checks
EBS Complete Architecture on OCI will look like:
Finally, we need to have knowledge of OCI and EBS on Cloud to run EBS on OCI as basic preparation of OCI for Deploying Instance and Provisioning, Migration and Maintenance of Oracle ERP – you need to have knowledge of EBS from Cloud Perspective. Please have a look at our:
If you are new to Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI) then I would suggest you look our previous blog by Atul on Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI): Region, AD, Tenancy, Compartment, VCN, IAM, Storage Service
Another offering in IaaS from Oracle is OCI-Classic (or OCI-C) and to find the difference between two and when to use what, Check my previous post OCI vs OCI-C here
If you are just starting out in Cloud then I highly recommend you to go through these first
- Cloud for Beginners (Facebook Live): SaaS | PaaS | IaaS and which one is right for DBAs
- 12 Point Checklist for DBA for Beginner to Expert Cloud DBA (Facebook Live)
- If you are confused to pick Amazon AWS or Oracle Cloud then check this
- To check tasks performed by DBAs in Cloud here
- To check tasks performed by Apps DBAs in Cloud here
Did You Start Your Oracle Cloud Journey? Get a FREE Copy in your Inbox with Steps to Register for Oracle Cloud and get 300 USD FEE Credit to Practice