As you probably know, Cloud has three Service Models: IaaS, PaaS, and SaaS (If you are new to Cloud and would like to know more about these Service Models then I highly recommend you to watch my previous live at https://k21academy.com/cloudlive01 ).
Note: Oracle has offerings in all three Service Models and both OCI and OCI-C are from IaaS offerings, where OCI stands for Oracle Cloud Infrastructure and OCI-C stand for Classic Version of IaaS Offering.
- Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Classic (OCI-C) is IaaS offering to provide Compute & Network (Shared & IP Networks)
- OCI Classic is based on Nimbula Director (Xen based Hypervisor)
- OCI Classic provides only Virtual Machines (whereas OCI can also provide Bare Metal)
- OCI-Classic (formerly OPC announced at Oracle Open World (OOW) 2014, was renamed to OCI Classic at OOW 2017
- OCI Classic can be deployed as a) Elastic Compute b) Dedicated Compute c) Sparc Model 300
- As of March 2018, OCI-C is available in NAC, EMEA, APAC
- Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI) like OCI-C is also IaaS offering that provides Compute, Network but as Virtual Cloud Network, Availability Domain and additionally Edge Services like Email, DNS, Load Balancer etc (more on Edge Services little later)
- OCI announced in OOW 2017 is re-branding of Bare Metal Cloud Service (BMCS)
- OCI provides both Bare Metal & Virtual Machines (whereas OCI-C provides only Virtual Machine) [Updated on 15th Mar, Thanks Manjunath for pointing out typo]
- Hypervisor in VM option of OCI is based on KVM (whereas on OCI-C this is Xen based Hypervisor)
When to Use What
- Cloud@Cusotmer (More on this in my future posts) is subscription based service where both Hardware & Cloud Software is on Customer Premises, this option as of March 2018 is only available on OCI-Classic
OCI-C is in more region currently compared to OCI
- High-Performance Compute (HPC), Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning (ML) is available only on OCI (as of Mar 2018)
- OCI-C doesn’t provide Bare Metal Option
- EBS (R12) & Database both are supported on both OCI & OCI Classic so you can use either
Stay tuned for my next post on OCI Components like Regions, Availability Domain, Compartments, IAM, Virtual Cloud Network, Edge Services etc
Also, to enhance your learning, Join FREE Masterclass on How To Become Oracle Certified Cloud Architect [1Z0-932] in 8 Weeks. Click on the image below to register for FREE.