Cloud is everywhere these days, almost every Big, Medium or Small Customer I visit I see some form of Cloud Engagement be it IaaS, PaaS or SaaS.
One Question I get from Oracle Apps DBA Managers and in Our Private Facebook Group is
- What Skills our Cloud DBA Team or Apps DBA Resource We are hiring should have?
- What all things my Apps DBA team should learn or practice so We can manage Customer’s EBS R12 Instances running on Cloud?
After feedback from 100’s of student in EBS (R12) on Cloud Training and managing 4 of our Oracle Cloud Customers, I have re-designed my entire Oracle EBS R12 on Cloud Training Lab/Hands-On Exercises so that they work for both Apps DBAs or someone just starting as Apps DBA to take them from Beginner to EBS on Cloud Expert.
Believe me or not, Theory & Concepts are good (for me they are building blocks) but I remember theory (or understand theory fully) only when I do a particular task myself on Servers.
This post covers What you as Oracle Apps DBAs must do on Cloud to take your Apps DBA career to next level i.e. Cloud Apps DBA (These are exact Step by Step Hands-On Guides we use in our EBS R12 on Cloud Training for Apps DBAs where you get to learn things like Registering on Oracle Cloud, Generating SSH Keys, Creating EBS instance on Cloud, EBS Cloud Admin Tool, Lift and Shift migration, Advanced Topics, Troubleshooting and much more.
You can use these exact steps to learn Oracle EBS (R12) on Cloud or to bring you and your team of Apps DBAs up-to-speed quickly for supporting Customers Moving to Cloud.
Here’s the Quick Sneak Peek of What You should do as Cloud Apps DBA:
1. Lab Activity Guide I: Create Account and Generate SSH Keys
You should start with creating an account on Oracle Cloud to Practice Creating your first Oracle E-Business Suite (R12) on Oracle Cloud. We assume that you don’t have Oracle Cloud Account and register for Cloud Access first time. In this lab activity guide, you will learn how to Register for the Oracle Cloud, Get FREE 300 USD Credit to Practice, generate SSH Keys to connect to Linux Servers on Cloud and Shop Compute (IaaS) for Application Tier & DBCS (PaaS) for Database Tier.
Get a FREE Copy of this exact Guide from here
2. Lab Activity Guide II: Create EBS Instance on Cloud using Template
There are two ways to create Oracle EBS(R12) on Cloud (OCI – C)
A) Using Template from Oracle Cloud Marketplace (pure IaaS)
B) Using EBS Cloud Admin Tool (IaaS or IaaS with PaaS)
You must know both the Steps so begin with creating an Oracle E-Business Suite (R12) Fresh Database Instance on the Oracle Cloud using Templates available on Oracle Cloud Marketplace. This Activity you must do:
- Creating your first EBS R12.2 on the Oracle Cloud
- Allowing Port 22 (SSH) & 8000 (EBS Web Port) to access EBS R12 from the Internet
- Connect to EBS R12 Host Using Putting
- Re-Configure EBS R12 to listen on Public DNS Address
- Access EBS R12 URL from the Internet
- Reset Default Passwords for EBS R12 on Cloud
3. Lab Activity Guide III: EBS Cloud Admin Tool
EBS Cloud Admin Tool is a utility to centrally Manage, Provision, and Migrate (Lift & Shift) Oracle EBS from On-premise to Cloud or back. You must set up Oracle EBS Cloud Admin Tool, Update it to latest Code level. Below are the things that EBS Cloud Admin tool can do:
- It can provision a new EBS instance on Oracle Public Cloud, Both Elastic Cloud as well as the bare metal cloud.
- You can use it to configure an EBS instance.
- To backup an EBS instance on the cloud.
- To integrate Oracle EBS with Oracle third-party software like Oracle SOA Suite, Oracle Identity, and Access Management Suite etc.
- Cloning from cloud to cloud as well as Cloning from On-premise to Cloud.
- You also use this Oracle EBS Cloud Admin utility to manage Oracle EBS environment.
4. Lab Activity Guide IV: Provision EBS Using Client Admin Tool
As I said above earlier, there are two methods to Deploy EBS R12 on Cloud, first using Templates in Cloud Marketplace another is using EBS Cloud Admin Tool.
Create your first Oracle EBS R12 Instance using EBS Client Admin Tool Instance. For EBS Cloud Admin utility to be able to provision EBS Database & Application Tier Host, a machine template must be registered in Cloud Account. In this Activity guide you must perform:
- Add EBS O.S. Only from Marketplace to Oracle Cloud Account
- Create an Oracle Compute Cloud Service instance.
- Add EBS Host Only Image to Cloud Account and Update in OCIClassicOSImage.json file
- Get Compute & Storage REST End Points.
- Provison 3 Node EBS (R12) Instance on Oracle Cloud using EBS Cloud Admin Tool
5. Lab Activity Guide V: Security in Cloud – Users | Roles | Firewall
Before you can access Oracle EBS (R12) on Cloud from Public or from your Office Network, You must open Firewall (Yes you as a Cloud Apps DBA get access to modify Firewall Rules). You must know Security in Cloud, How do you Configure Firewall. These in Oracle Public Cloud are managed using Security Rules, Applications, List and IP List. Next, you must define a rule to open port 22 for SSH, Port 8000 for Web Entry Point and 7001 for WebLogic Admin Console (for EBS R12.2)
If you want to delegate Oracle Cloud Account access to other users in the team then you must also know How to create Cloud Account and assign them necessary Roles. How to manage users in Cloud and of course what roles we can have. This is one of the important aspects of security management. What and how application to be secured over the firewall and how users can access – public or private.
Once you know Tasks like Creating EBS R12 on Cloud, Cloud Admin Tool and Security then focus on Advanced tasks to set yourself apart from other Cloud Apps DBAs
6. Lab Activity Guide VI: EBS Lift & Shift Migration
Migration (Lift & Shift) is the process of migrating an On-Premise Oracle EBS R12 environment to Cloud. This in my view is the most important Activity Guide i.e EBS Lift & Shift Migration that will help you earning a lot higher and grow quickly. Before to move on EBS on Cloud Lift & Shift In our Guide we cover, Pre- Requisite for Migration, Verify SSH Port(22) open from EBS On-Premise to EBS Cloud Admin Tool machine on Cloud, and get REST endpoint for Compute Node (This will be used in Migration).
You must prepare Migration Configuration File on Source cln.props, Initiate Utility on Source to Backup on Cloud.
Then we move to Created EBS Instance in Cloud using Backup from the Previous Step and Finish this Guide with issues & Fixes like:
- Base Dire Not Define in Source Context File
- Validation Error Becuase of Grants
- Space Error on Source EBS: GNU Package (misleading Error)
- No SSH Key DefineD
- Image Not avaible in OCIClassicOSImage.json
- IP Reservations Not Found
7. Lab Activity Guide VII: Application Tier HA & Scalability
You must practice High Availability on Cloud, adding multiple EBS R12 middle tier including OTD (Traffic Director i.e. Web Tier) and Application Tier like Web, Forms & Concurrent Managers.
You must also practice Configuring the Load Balancer (OTD), Configuration for multiple Application tier, Sacleup/Scale out the concept, Adding an application node, also we will cover to Monitor all logs and Troubleshooting.
8. Lab Activity Guide VIII: Cloning EBS (R12) Cloud to Cloud
Then we will move to Cloning EBS (R12) Cloud to Cloud. Cloning of Oracle application is one of the most common activity for DBA and when it comes to Cloud more quicker and faster options are expected. Here we will cover various options and techniques of cloning existing Oracle application on Oracle Cloud in clear and easy steps.If you are a beginner and not have knowledge about Clone we will cover that high level and also will cover cloning in Environment
This Guide will cover Options and Capabilities Cloud to Cloud, steps For cloning Cloud to Cloud in which we will see normal cloning using Cloud Admin Tool, Fast Cloning & Refresh EBS From Backup
9. Lab Activity Guide X: Exploring REST API in Cloud
This is Bonus Guide, where we cover REST API’s in Cloud, Troubleshooting, How to automate some of the Task using REST API’s. In this, you will learn How you will create backup folder or storage in REST API’s. REST API one of the activity needed to access, configure and integrate various application may or may not in the same availability zones. Here we will cover all the aspects of practical application and usage of REST API in Oracle Cloud.
Believe me, if you will practice these guides then you will learn and become proficient in Creating and managing Oracle E-Business Suit on Cloud and no one in the market can stop you in getting your dream job and earning the Salary you deserve.
Get all these Guides in our Step by Step Training Program that will take you from complete Beginner to Cloud Apps DBA to Build, Manage & Secure Oracle E-Business Suite R12 on Cloud by registering at Build, Manage & Migrate (Lift & Shift) EBS (R12) on Cloud Expert
Related /Further Readings
If you are just a beginner to Oracle cloud, then check our below posts to start your journey:
- Oracle EBS (R12) on Cloud: Architects Perspective: What and Why?
- [Video] Oracle EBS (R12) On Cloud Deployment Architecture
- Cloud Service Models (SaaS | PaaS | IaaS )
- Amazon AWS or Oracle Cloud (Confused ?): Right Choice for DBA’s
- To check tasks performed by Apps DBAs in Cloud here
- Role of Oracle Apps DBA in Cloud
- EBS on Cloud Advance Training
Next Task For You
If you are an Oracle Apps DBA and just starting out your journey to Oracle public Cloud then we will highly recommend you to download our Free Guide that contains 3 Docs every Oracle Apps DBA must read in order to manage and migrate Oracle EBS R12 on Oracle Cloud. Click on below link to get the Guide.