This post covers Hands-On Activity Guides that you must perform in order to learn Oracle EBS (R12) on Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI). You can use these exact steps to bring you and your team of Apps DBAs up-to-speed quickly for supporting Customers Moving to Cloud.
Here’s the Quick Sneak Peek of What You should do and know as Cloud Apps DBA:
1. Lab Activity Guide I: Create Account and Generate SSH Keys
The first thing you must do is to get a Trial Account for Oracle Cloud (You get 300 USD FREE Credit from Oracle to practice, that must be used within 30 Days).
You should know how to Register for the Oracle Cloud, Get FREE 300 USD Credit to Practice, generate SSH Keys to connect to Linux Servers on Cloud and Shop Compute (IaaS) for Application Tier & DBCS (PaaS) for Database Tier.
Once you register for Oracle Cloud Trial, you should get an Email Like below from Oracle:
Note: Get this first step by step activity guide absolutely FREE from here
2. Lab Activity Guide II: OCI Console Walkthrough and Crating VCN
The very Next step is you should familiarize yourself with the OCI Console. You should know How to Access the OCI Console, How to Create & Manage Group. You must know about the tasks you can perform from this console and how to check common things like billing and access other cloud services.
As a Cloud Apps DBA, you should have networking knowledge as well as you need to set up a virtual cloud network (VCN) for your cloud resources. You should know how to create VCN and understanding its functionality & various VCN components such as subnet, DRG, IGW, Route Tables etc.
EBS Cloud Manager is a utility to centrally Manage, Provision, and Migrate (Lift & Shift) Oracle EBS from On-premise to OCI or back. You must set up the Oracle EBS Cloud Manager Tool, Update it to the latest Code level. Below are the things that EBS Cloud Manager tool can do:
- It can provision a new EBS instance on Oracle cloud Infrastructure (OCI).
- To backup an EBS instance on the cloud.
- To delete an EBS instance.
- To migrate EBS instance from OCI to OCI or from On-premise to OCI.
- To integrate Oracle EBS with Oracle third-party software like Oracle SOA Suite, Oracle Identity, and Access Management Suite etc.
- Cloning from OCI to OCI as well as Cloning from On-premise to Cloud.
- You also use this Oracle EBS Cloud Manager utility to manage Oracle EBS environment.
4. Lab Activity Guide IV: Provision EBS Using EBS Cloud Manager Tool
Create your first Oracle EBS R12 Instance using EBS Cloud Manager Tool Instance. In this Activity guide you must perform:
- Simplified and advanced EBS provisioning Cloud Manager gives 2 options here:
1. Simplified Provisioning of EBS: Where preset topologies are defined and we can select and perform quick provisioning.
2. Advance Provisioning of EBS: Here we can define our own topology to provision EBS and is useful in case of complex architecture design. Here we get the option to create the Instance using a backup of the database as well and we can define the backup policies too.
- Provision from backup
- Clone environment
- Delete environment
- Accessing Instance over Public & Private Network
5. Lab Activity Guide V: Maintain EBS Cloud Manager on OCI
In this Activity guide you must perform:
- Check EBS Cloud Manager Version and update if required
- Start/Stop Cloud Manager VM
- Update Load Balancer URL
- Change Parallel Workers
- Abort running jobs
- Backup EBS Instance
Once you know Tasks like Creating EBS R12 on Cloud, Cloud Manager Tool and Security then focus on Advanced tasks to set yourself apart from other Cloud Apps DBAs
6. Lab Activity Guide VI: Clone EBS (R12) on OCI
Then move to Cloning EBS (R12) on OCI. Cloning of Oracle application is one of the most common activity for DBA and when it comes to Cloud more quicker and faster options are expected.
So you should know various options and techniques of cloning existing Oracle application on OCI in clear and easy steps. With Cloud Manager tool, it can be done quickly and conveniently. As of not only Compute clone can be done which will be blocked volume cloning or fast cloning methodology.
7. Lab Activity Guide VII: EBS Lift & Shift Migration
Migration (Lift & Shift) is the process of migrating an On-Premise Oracle EBS R12 environment to Cloud. This, in my view, is the most important Activity Guide i.e EBS Lift & Shift Migration that will help you earn a lot higher and grow quickly.
We can move the on-premises instance to Cloud using Cloud manager. Cloud manager is capable of creating an instance from the object storage backup. It uses new backup utility which is known as EBS Cloud Backup Utility, as a standalone tool for taking EBS backup to object storage and needs to be run on source environment.
So these are the Activity Guides that one must perform to become an Oracle Cloud Apps DBA as the above guides make your learning & understanding the concepts of EBS (R12) on Oracle Cloud Infrastructure much easier.
We cover all these Guides in our Step by Step Training Program that will take you from complete Beginner to Cloud Apps DBA to Build, Manage & Secure Oracle E-Business Suite R12 on OCI by registering at Build, Manage & Migrate (Lift & Shift) EBS (R12) on OCI.
What Benefits You’ll Get:
- Live Instructor-led Online Interactive Sessions
- FREE unlimited retake for next 1 Years
- FREE On-Job Support for next 1 Years
- Latest Updated Training Material (Presentation + Videos) with Hands-on Lab Exercises mentioned
- Recording of Live Interactive Session for Lifetime Access
- 100% Money Back Guarantee (If you attend sessions, practice and don’t get results, We’ll do full REFUND, check our Refund Policy)
Related /Further Readings
If you are just a beginner to Oracle cloud, then check our below posts to start your journey:
- Oracle EBS (R12) on Cloud: Architects Perspective: What and Why?
- [Video] Oracle EBS (R12) On Cloud Deployment Architecture
- Cloud Service Models (SaaS | PaaS | IaaS )
- Amazon AWS or Oracle Cloud (Confused ?): Right Choice for DBA’s
- Tasks performed by Apps DBAs in Cloud
- Role of Oracle Apps DBA in Cloud
- Oracle E-Business Suite (R12) On OCI for Apps DBAs
- Certification for EBS (R12) on Cloud for Oracle Apps DBAs
- Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI): Region, AD, Tenancy, Compartment, VCN, IAM, Storage Service
Next Task For You
If you are an Oracle Apps DBA and just starting out your journey to Oracle public Cloud then we highly recommend you to download our FREE Guide that contains 7 Things Every Oracle Apps DBA & Architect Must Know To Build & Manage EBS (R12) On Cloud in order to manage and migrate Oracle EBS R12 on Oracle Cloud.
Or Click on below image to get the Guide.