This post covers 10 things you must consider when Migrating an Oracle EBS(R12) Environment from On-Premise to Oracle Cloud (OCI).
- If you are an Oracle Apps DBA and wish to see tasks performed by Cloud Apps DBAs then check Atul’s post Role of Cloud Apps DBA.
- if you are beginners to Oracle Apps DBA & wanted to know 15 Things an Apps DBAs Must Know, then check Atul’s post here
In this post I’ll cover, 10 things you should know or consider before moving Oracle Application (EBS R12) to Oracle Cloud:
- The first recommendation I would suggest is knowing the OCI Service Portfolio. As on a day-to-day basis, there are a lot of new features coming and this may be going to simplify our designing and solutions. To keep yourself updated with all the latest changes and new features in oracle Cloud Subscribe here
- Second recommendation I will suggest to know the Architecture & Topology of your current environment. Collect all the information which directly affects architecture – Nodes, Concurrent users, Batch jobs, etc. This will help in deciding what services are needed and approximation on the Cost as well can be calculated. Check what options are available for DB systems on OCI and know the difference between DB on Compute, Bare Metal and Exadata. Check more Oracle EBS (R12) On Cloud Deployment Architecture
- Third, you should know various Deployment models at Oracle Cloud. Along with Public, Private, Hybrid options, you should also consider the Single & Multi-Region Deployment. Depending on the security, governance, and sensitivity of the data, select the deployment model. Of course, here you to consider the other aspects as well as budget & duration (whether it is for the long or short term). To know about Oracle EBS (R12) on Cloud: Architects Perspective: What and Why?
- Fourth, would recommend the Operating System Compatibility. What are the supported OS at cloud and apart from that what is your current OS? Whether it is binary compatible or you need to select the Cross-Platform Migration path will be decided with the OS compatibility. As of now at OCI – Linux, Windows and Solaris (recently introduced) are supported.
- if you are using EBS Cloud Manager then Linux platform will be used.
- Fifth recommendation to go with the Licensing of Products. Oracle gives a lot of discounts and also reuse of On-premise License at Oracle Cloud. So before you move to cloud check the Licensing criteria with your Oracle Sales Representative.
- Sixth, we need to consider, how we will Migrate data. What the Database Size? Options you can use to migrate the data securely. We have Different Connectivity Options, FastConnect, VPNConnect, Data Transfer services. Depending upon feasibility and requirement we need to plan and decide which one should be beneficial and cost-effective. Apart from that, we need to think on the line how to minimize the downtime for the migration so to give maximum availability to the instances. To know more about 3 Ways to Connect to Oracle Cloud
- Seventh I would recommend understanding EBS Cloud Manager which is the tool available only on Oracle Cloud to manage EBS. This is one of the tool which makes Oracle Cloud best suitable for EBS. Oracle is continuously adding new features and making our life easier. Cloud Manager has the capability to manage multiple EBS instance centrally and also provide options to run DB on Exadata and RAC. To know Oracle EBS(R12) Cloud Manager Overview: What & How
- The eighth recommendation will be Security of your EBS Instance running on Cloud. Depending on your architecture if external access is needed then you need to implement DMZ. Apart from that Oracle provides TDE at the database level, encryption of data either at rest on Storage or in transition and multiple copies of files stored at Object/Archive storage. Also, Bastion Host adds an extra layer of security by not allowing direct access to any Application and Database servers.
- Note: To know more on Deploying EBS Webgate in DMZ, Multiple AppTier & RAC, check here
- The ninth recommendation will be Integration, how you can integrate various other Oracle or 3rd Party Software with Oracle cloud EBS. SOA Gateway, Workflow Notification mailer setup, On-premise Printer integration all these are common integrations. Apart from that now Oracle & Microsoft Partnership is in place and most common integration required by industry is Azure AD integration with EBS for SSO requirement.
- Tenth one, last but not the least how you can maintain the Lifecycle of EBS and various tools you are using to maintain EBS. You need to regularly update these tools to new versions, take backups. Apart from that EBS running on OCI also needs Patching, CPU updates, and upgrades. So your existing knowledge is also utilized apart from learning new skills.
So to summarize it in Nutshell following points should be considered.
These are some of the most important considerations based on my experience with managing & migrating EBS R12 Customer on Cloud.
Migration / Lift-n-shift is one of the most important topics and as an Oracle Cloud Apps DBA, must know the skill.
We cover Migration (Lift & Shift) EBS R12 from On-Premise to Cloud as a dedicated Module in our EBS on (R12) on Oracle Cloud (OCI) Training including Step By Step Activity Guide with Hands-On for Migration (For Free Masterclass, check here)
If you are just a beginner to Oracle cloud, then check our below posts to start your journey:
- Oracle EBS (R12) on Cloud: Architects Perspective: What and Why?
- [Video] Oracle EBS (R12) On Cloud Deployment Architecture
- Cloud Service Models (SaaS | PaaS | IaaS )
- Amazon AWS or Oracle Cloud (Confused ?): Right Choice for DBA’s
- Role of Oracle Apps DBA in Cloud
- Oracle EBS(R12) on Cloud for Apps DBAs & Architects Training: Step By Step Activity Guides/Hands-On Lab Exercise
Next Task For You
If you are an Oracle Apps DBA and just starting out your journey to Oracle public Cloud then we highly recommend you to download our FREE Guide that contains 7 Things Every Oracle Apps DBA & Architect Must Know To Build & Manage EBS (R12) On Cloud in order to manage and migrate Oracle EBS R12 on Oracle Cloud.
Or Click on below image to get the Guide.
Click on the image below to join our FREE Telegram group.