This post covers 10 things you must consider when migrating an Oracle EBS(R12) Environment from On-Premise to Oracle Cloud.
If you are an Oracle Apps DBA and wish to see tasks performed by Cloud Apps DBAs then check Atul’s post Role of Cloud Apps DBA.
If your organization has the plan to move all infrastructure to Cloud then before Migration you should be aware of the strategy & toolset so migration can be done swiftly and with minimal downtime. Here I’ll cover, things you should know or consider before moving Oracle Application (EBS R12) to Oracle Cloud:
- First is you should know about the complete Architecture & Topology of your current environment. How many nodes of Application and Database are there, if multiple nodes then identify the primary and secondary nodes. This will help in getting the infrastructure at the Cloud side.
Make sure you are familiar with EBS(R12) deployment Topology in Oracle Cloud like is Database Tier in PaaS (DBCS) or IaaS, Number of number of Application Tier Nodes etc
- Second, you should know various Deployment models at Oracle Cloud. Public, Private, Hybrid, Community etc options are available. Depending on the security, governance, and sensitivity of the data, select the deployment model. Of course, here youed to consider the other aspects as well as budget & duration (whether it is for the long or short term).
- Third check the License of the Oracle Products. What you have and what more (If any) ir required to move in Cloud Architecture. Oracle allows you to Bring Your Own License (BYOL) to Cloud but with some considerations. Before migrating to Cloud, get in touch with the Oracle Sales representative to get the details about the same. This will help us in designing instance topology as well.
- Fourth is you should know the resource usage of your current Instance. The resource includes CPU, Memory, I/O, and disk space utilization. This will help in allocating the resource and selecting the correct instance type for your EBS.
- Fifth is Operating System. Check which Operating system your current instance is and what options are available at Oracle Cloud. If you are on HP-UX or AIX then those options are not available at Oracle cloud so consider Platform Migration. Oracle Cloud has Linux and its flavors, OEL, or Solaris (Open and SPARC), Microsoft Windows.
- Sixth is the EBS Cloud admin tool. You should be well versed with the Cloud admin tool and its capabilities. Configuration, connection to REST endpoints all you should be aware of. Cloud admin tool is one of the important tools for Cloud Apps DBA to know and works with. Most of the complex activities are well automated with the help of Cloud admin tool. This is another benefit that you won’t get on Amazon AWS Cloud. To know about Oracle EBS Cloud Admin Tool check Atul’s post here [Video]
- Seventh is how much downtime business can afford (Note: Oracle GoldenGate is not yet certified to migrate EBS R12 as of Nov 2017). EBS R12 Cloud Migration with zero downtime is not possible (You, however, can work on reducing this downtime using Data-Guard and point in time recovery to Oracle Cloud). Plan downtime and make business aware of the duration of downtime, plan activities well in advance for minimal loss of revenue for customer. Smart and systematic planning and utilization of Cloud tools can allow achieving Near Zero downtime for Oracle E-Business Suite (ERP/CRM/SCM/Financials etc) migration to Oracle Cloud.
- Eighth will be pre-requisites that you need to consider on the source side (i.e On-Premise Instance). Important ones are Database Archive Log mode, AD-TXK patchset levels, ETCC patches on the Middle tier and Database. This will ensure a smooth migration to Cloud as most of the bugs are fixed in these patches and save a lot of time and iterations.
- Ninth will be bandwidth you have from On-premises to Oracle Cloud. This directly affects the downtime of the instance and needs to be considered seriously. There are various VPN options provided which can be explored for getting the high data transfer from On-premises to Cloud.
- Tenth you should know the Integration aspect of Oracle Application on Cloud with various other services like Notification Mailer, Printer, Identity management, SOA etc. These come under post migration of the instance but plays a vital role in the functional architecture of your instance.
These are some of the most important considerations based on my experience with managing & migrating EBS R12 Customer on Cloud.
Migration / Lift-n-shift is one of the most important topics and as an Oracle Cloud Apps DBA, must know the skill.
We cover Migration (Lift & Shift) EBS R12 from On-Premise to Cloud as a dedicated Module in our EBS on (R12) on Cloud Training including Step By Step Activity Guide with Hands-On for Migration.
Other topics in this Oracle Cloud Training for Oracle Apps DBAs includes Registering on Oracle Cloud, Generating SSH Keys, Creating EBS instance on Cloud using Templates on Marketplace, EBS Cloud Admin Tool, Lift & Shift, Adding Nodes for HA, Troubleshooting and much more.
Now it’s your turn to post your answers in the comment section and let us know where you are facing challenges in EBS on Cloud
This post is from our Course “Build, Manage & Migrate (Lift & Shift) EBS (R12) on Cloud Expert” with 1 Year On-Job Support and 1 year Unlimited FREE Retakes (If you need to know more about this program then reach out to our team at email@example.com )
If you are just a beginner to Oracle cloud, then check our below posts to start your journey:
- Oracle EBS (R12) on Cloud: Architects Perspective: What and Why?
- [Video] Oracle EBS (R12) On Cloud Deployment Architecture
- Cloud Service Models (SaaS | PaaS | IaaS )
- Amazon AWS or Oracle Cloud (Confused ?): Right Choice for DBA’s
- Role of Oracle Apps DBA in Cloud
- EBS on Cloud Advance Training
- Oracle EBS(R12) on Cloud for Apps DBAs & Architects Training: Step By Step Activity Guides/Hands-On Lab Exercise
Next Task For You
If you are an Oracle Apps DBA and just starting out your journey to Oracle public Cloud then we highly recommend you to download our FREE Guide that contains 7 Things Every Oracle Apps DBA & Architect Must Know To Build & Manage EBS (R12) On Cloud in order to manage and migrate Oracle EBS R12 on Oracle Cloud.
Or Click on below image to get the Guide.