This post gives you the high-level Overview of cloning Oracle E-Business Suite on Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI). For those who are new with Cloning, it is the process of creating a copy of an existing Oracle E-Business Suite system. Cloning is one the most common task that AppsDBA does.
Note: OCI is part of IaaS Service model (other 2 Cloud Service models are SaaS & PaaS), where OCI is re-branding of Bare Metal Cloud Service (BMCS)
Overview of Cloning in Oracle Cloud
As till now, we know about the Fast cloning feature of OCI-Classic Model where if your database is on Compute Infrastructure then using Fast cloning feature we can create the EBS Clone in minutes. I remember it took around 27 mins for me to create a clone of Non-Vision Instance. It uses snapshot technology and creates a copy of disks.
Using the concept of Cloning on OCI recently new feature on the similar line but in an automated way is now for EBS on OCI which uses Block Volume Cloning. We all know what Block Storage is, still a quick one here, it is highly scalable and dynamically provisioned storage based on NVMe technology and once attached to the instance it is like normal hard-drive. To know more on various storage details Click Here. & Object Storage Service in Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI)
Block Volume Cloning is point-in-time disk-to-disk deep cloning method. This is different from a Snapshot
- Snapshot takes the backup and with this backup is restored to the instance to see the details. So it’s 2 step process. But in the case of Cloning, it makes a copy of the existing block volume directly, without backup and restores the one-step process.
- Snapshot is dependent on the source volume but one Block volume is cloned it is independent of the source volume.
- Very high-level Overview of this Automated Cloning process, what it does and what happens is :
Very high-level Overview of this Automated Cloning process, what it does and what happens is?
- All instance created using Cloud admin tool, either Provisioned or Lift and shift.
- Application and Database on OCI compute.
- For EBS on OCI, we can use this option using Cloud Admin Tool on OCI and under Cloning Environment option where you need to provide source and target environment details. Once all details furnished it will automatically clone the instance. The latest version of the Cloud Admin Tool currently is 188.8.131.52
Note: EBS Cloud Admin Utility is used to provision, manage & integrate Oracle E-Business Suite R12 on Oracle Cloud)
- OCI Cloud Admin Tool -> Manage Environment-> Clone Environment.
- Overall this is one of the fast methods to create the clone and within minutes Cloned instance is ready to use.
Automated EBS Cloning for OCI Compute (Click Here)
- Oracle EBS (R12) on Cloud: Architects Perspective: What and Why?
- Cloud Service Models (SaaS | PaaS | IaaS )
- Amazon AWS or Oracle Cloud (Confused ?): Right Choice for DBA’s
- To check tasks performed by Apps DBAs in Cloud here
- Role of Oracle Apps DBA in Cloud
- EBS on OCI | E-Business Suite Cloud Manager | Automation at its Ease
- Oracle EBS (R12) On Cloud (OCI): High-Level Steps
- EBS on Cloud Advance Training
- Oracle EBS(R12) on Cloud for Apps DBAs & Architects Training: Step By Step Activity Guides/Hands-On Lab Exercise
Next Task For You
If you are an Oracle Apps DBA and just starting out your journey to Oracle public Cloud then we highly recommend you to download our FREE Guide that contains 7 Things Every Oracle Apps DBA & Architect Must Know To Build & Manage EBS (R12) On Cloud in order to manage and migrate Oracle EBS R12 on Oracle Cloud.
Or Click on below image to get the Guide.