This post covers one of the most important utilities/tools for deploy, manage and migrate Oracle E-Business Suite EBS (R12) on Oracle Cloud (OCI-C) i.e. EBS Cloud Admin Tool.
Note: Oracle has offerings in all three Service Models and both OCI and OCI-C are from IaaS offerings, where OCI stands for Oracle Cloud Infrastructure and OCI-C stand for Classic Version of IaaS Offering. To know about the difference between OCI & OCI-C, check here
[Update: 30 Oct 2018] EBS Cloud Admin Tool on OCI is superseded with EBS Cloud Manager, to know more about EBS Cloud Manager check here
One of the most common questions we get from our trainees is, which cloud should I learn Oracle or Amazon, check our previous in which we have covered Amazon AWS or Oracle Cloud (Confused ?): Right Choice for DBA’s
New To Cloud?
If you are new to Cloud then I highly recommend you to look at my FREE Live Training on Cloud on our Facebook Page
- Cloud Service Models (SaaS | PaaS | IaaS ) Note: You as an Apps DBA must be looking as PaaS (for EBS Database Tier) and IaaS (for Application Tier)
- 12 Point Checklist from Beginner to Expert Cloud DBA Note: You as an Apps DBA must be working on DBCS (DBaaS) or IaaS(for EBS Database Tier)
- Role of Oracle Apps DBA in Cloud Note: Point 7 at 6:17 is my favorite one
EBS Cloud Admin Tool
EBS Cloud Amin Tool is one of the most critical tools that every Oracle Cloud Apps DBA & Architect must know on Cloud.
This Video explains What all things this EBS Cloud Admin Tool can do and high-level steps to deploy this on Oracle Public Cloud.
Oracle EBS Cloud Admin Tool is a utility to centrally Manage, Provision, Lift & Shift (migrate) Oracle EBS from On-Premise to Cloud or back to On-Premise. Below are the things that EBS Cloud Admin tool can do:
- It can provision a new EBS instance (including using Database Cloud Service or RAC on Cloud for Database Tier of EBS) on Oracle Public Cloud, Both Elastic Cloud as well as the Bare Metal Cloud.
- You can use it to add an additional node for an Oracle EBS (R12) instance.
- To Backup & Restore an EBS instance on the Cloud.
- To Integrate Oracle EBS R12 with Oracle third-party software like Oracle SOA Suite, Oracle Identity, and Access Management Suite etc.
- You also use this Oracle EBS Cloud Admin utility to Manage Oracle EBS (R12) Environment.
Now in order to use this EBS Cloud Admin Utility, you first need to provision this EBS Cloud Admin Utility using a Template from Oracle Cloud Marketplace. SO the first task you as Cloud Apps DBA must do is Setup this EBS Cloud Admin tool and to set up this utility:
- Generate SSH Keys (Public & Private Key Pair) so you can connect to Oracle Public Cloud using this Key Pair
- Log in to your Oracle Public Cloud
- Create an instance by picking a machine from the marketplace of template EBS Provisioning Tool image.
- Once that machine is provisioned, you allow port number 22 so you can connect to this machine from your desktop using Putty and SSH Keys generated on the first step.
- Then Collect Compute and storage REST endpoints.
- You then update this EBS Cloud Admin tool to the latest Codeline. It’s going to download the latest version of this EBS Cloud Admin Tool from Oracle Site to your EBS Provisioning Tool VM.
- This EBS Cloud Admin utility uses a configuration management software called Chef. Now, this Chef uses programming language Ruby & Gems and similar to Unix Packages or RPMs. So you update the chef with the latest Gems specific to Oracle EBS.
- Then you Launch EBS Cloud Admin Utility.
To see what all menu items or options you will get in order to provision, manage and migrate your EBS R12, go through the video above.
Now it’s your turn to post your answers in the comment section and let us know where you are facing challenges in EBS on Cloud
This post is from our Course “Build, Manage & Migrate (Lift & Shift) EBS (R12) on Cloud Expert” with 1 Year On-Job Support and 1 year Unlimited FREE Retakes (If you need to know more about this program then reach out to our team at firstname.lastname@example.org )
- OCI vs OCI-C
- Cloud Service Models (SaaS | PaaS | IaaS )
- To check tasks performed by Apps DBAs in Cloud here
- Role of Oracle Apps DBA in Cloud
- EBS on Cloud Advance training
- Oracle EBS(R12) on Cloud for Apps DBAs & Architects Training Step By Step Activity Guides/Hands-On Lab Exercise
Do you Know?
What are the 7 Things Every Oracle Apps DBA & Architect Must Know To Build & Manage EBS (R12) On Cloud in order to manage and migrate Oracle EBS R12 on Oracle Cloud?
Click down below and Download Your FREE Guide to Find the Answer.