In this post, I’ll cover one of the issues encountered by attendees in training Build, Manage & Migrate (Lift & Shift) EBS (R12) on Cloud while doing Lift and Shift (Migration) of R12 to Cloud.
Before that, if you are totally new to Oracle Cloud or EBS R12 on Cloud then follow these basic cloud concepts in my previous show or blog post
- Check my first Live show on Facebook covering Cloud Service Models (IaaS, PaaS & SaaS) here
- Once you are clear with Service Models then check Live show on Facebook covering Oracle EBS (R12) on Cloud an Architects perspective here
- You’ll also like my 15 Must Know things for Apps DBA’s starting on Cloud
- For Cloud Migration check Amit’s post on 10 Things to consider before migrating EBS R12 on Cloud and video from Lesson 1 of our DBA to Cloud DBA Training covering Oracle Database Cloud Migration to Cloud Overview & Methodology here
The issue in Migrating Oracle EBS (R12) on Cloud:
In order to migrate one of the steps is to run EBSCloud Clone Utility “perl ebsclone.pl” (This script is also used to back up Oracle E-Business Suite environment to Oracle Cloud), but this script was failing with below error message at backup using RMAN
- IN ODBCDatabaseBackup.log , referencing to RMAN_[SID]_backup_[timestamp].log and error in log wasKBHS-00715: HTTP error occurred ‘oracle-error’, KBHS-00712: ORA-29024 received from local HTTP serviceExact Error as
RMAN-00569: ==ERROR MESSAGE STACK FOLLOWS =+
RMAN-03009: failure of allocate command on CH1 channel at 04/12/2018 06:36:26
ORA-19554: error allocating device, device type: SBT_TAPE, device name:
ORA-27023: skgfqsbi: media manager protocol error
ORA-19511: non RMAN, but media manager or vendor specific failure, error text:
KBHS-00715: HTTP error occurred ‘oracle-error’
KBHS-00712: ORA-29024 received from local HTTP Service
Then we looked into log file mentioned in above error messages and it was showing below messages.
Then we looked into log file mentioned in above screenshot. It was showing error messages.
Once you know error, its easy to find resolution but before we resolve this, lets look at How Migration (Lift & Shift) of Oracle E-Business Suite R12 works behind the scene .
How Oracle EBS (R12) Cloud Migration Works?
Let me first walk you through the high-level steps that We perform while doing EBS on Cloud Migration and at which step we were hitting the issue.
- Identify the EBS environment for lift and shift. Make sure that it meets the requirement for migration.
- Log into the Cloud Console and create the Storage, a Virtual Machine with the required computing power.
- Download the Cloning Utility (Delivered by Patch) on On-Premise E-Business Suite R12 Environment.
- Update the cln.props (Clone Configuration File available inside the patch). It contains the target migration environment information required by the utility.
- Run the EBS Cloud-Clone Utility perl ebsclone.pl which is used to back up your Oracle E-Business Suite environment to Oracle Cloud. Currently, the backup will be transferred to Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Backup Service.
- Run EBS Cloud Admin Tool, ProvisionEBS.pl to create an environment from the backup uploaded to your private Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Backup Service bucket with your desired Oracle E-Business Suite topology.
- Run Post Configuration Steps as necessary.
We came across few hits on the Metalink which points that this is a known issue (introduced recently because of SSL Certificates while transferring the backup to Cloud Service)
Reference MOS: 2362289.1 KBHS-00712: ORA-29024 received from local HTTP service with RMAN Backup To Cloud
This document point to download latest backup module, and set up the parameter _OPC_VALIDATE_CERT=TRUE and rerun the backup once again.
In case of EBS Lift & Shift, backup module is an automated way, EBS Migration Tool downloads the Oracle Backup Library files from the Oracle server then configures it on its own. Installing the latest backup module will not help in case of EBS (R12) Migration.
The backup module version which gets installed using EBS Migration tool (as of Apr 2018) is of 2016. Below log file says that :
As there is no permanent fix (as of April 2018), I am assuming in near future Oracle will bundle latest backup module as part of Migration utility but till then use below workaround:
1. Locate the file <Stage-Database-DB>/remoteclone/ODBSOSSModule/files/dbs/<SID>.ora
Note: This is not <SID>.ora in ORACLE_HOME/dbs but in the backup folder on staging directory on the source environment
2. Add parameter _OPC_VALIDATE_CERT=TRUE
3. Now Save and rerun the ebsclone.pl script. It will complete successfully this time.
If you want to learn Oracle EBS R12 on cloud and want to become expert by solving issues like above then check our Training Program on how to go from Complete Beginner to Build Manage & Migrate EBS (R12) on Cloud for Apps DBAs & Architects
We cover all these concepts and troubleshooting in our step by step Activity guides and for a list of Hands-On, we cover in the training check here.
Next Task for You
If you are an Oracle Apps DBA and just starting out your journey to Oracle public Cloud then we will highly recommend you to download our FREE Guide 3 Docs every Oracle Apps DBA must read for Cloud .
Got a question on What you as Oracle Apps DBA should learn or Hitting any issue then leave a comment