This post covers the key points from my recent Facebook Live Show related to Oracle E-Business Suite R12 Deployment on Cloud (For Apps DBAs & Cloud Architects).
Registered for the Free Masterclass on How To Transition From An Oracle Apps DBA To Oracle Cloud Apps DBA?
Oracle Cloud Reference ArchitectureWhat you see in the above diagram is Oracle’s Reference Cloud Architecture.
- The top is the user interaction and interface to On-Premise or Oracle Cloud.
- Right is on the On-premise Infrastructure, Database, Middleware or Applications.
- Left is the Three Cloud Service Models covering SaaS, PaaS, and IaaS.
If you are a Cloud beginner, then I would highly recommend you to check Cloud Service Models.
Oracle EBS (R12) Deployment Options
EBS stands for Oracle E-Business Suite (including Financials, HRMS, SCM, HCM, etc) and till recently, it used to be deployed On-Premise. The same Oracle EBS (R12) can now be deployed on Cloud. Here are the three ways in which EBS can be deployed:
- On-Premises (Traditional Infrastructure)
- Public Cloud(IaaS or IaaS with Paas)
- Cloud@Customer(Cloud Machines at customer Site)
If you don’t have the time to look at the 46 Mins Video but still want to know about the EBS Deployment, then begin watching the video from the 10th minute.
Why Should EBS Customer Move to Cloud?
There were some good questions asked during the Live Session, and one of them was Why should Customer Move to Cloud or the Main Benefits specific to EBS:
- First and foremost is the Time to provision New Environment, it takes 4-6 weeks for On-Premise just for Hardware & O.S. whereas, on Cloud, you can get it under an hour.
- There is only Operating Expense (OpEx) in Cloud and No Capital Expense (CapEx) so after Implementation/Go-Live, you can recycle the additional EBS Environments and Pay Only for what you use.
- Pay what you use, Test/Dev environments are not 100% used so why pay for hardware when not in use. On Cloud, you can shut down the environment and don’t pay for Compute, especially during night time or weekends.
- For the EBS Disaster Recovery side, you keep only database host up and don’t pay for Application Tier (Keep it down and pay only when you failover to DR).
- With Cloud tools like EBS Cloud Manager (check Here), you can easily create, migrate, clone, backup, etc of EBS R12 On Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI)
Oracle EBS (R12) on Cloud Options
Oracle EBS has Two Tiers:
1) EBS Application/Middle Tier– The middle tier can be deployed on:
- Oracle Compute (IaaS) also known as Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Classic
- Linux, Sparc Model 300, OS supported on Oracle Bare metal Cloud now (Oracle Cloud Infrastructure)
2) EBS Database Tier– The Database Tier can be deployed on:
- Oracle Compute(IaaS) i.e. OCI
- Database as a Service (PaaS)
- Exadata Cloud Service (PaaS)
- RAC with DBaaS/ExaCloudService (PaaS)
For EBS Database Tier using Database Cloud Service (DBCS), check my 12 Point Checklist to go from Beginner to Expert Cloud DBA Here.
For a review of Oracle DBA Training Day 1 including the questions covered in the Session like OMCS, OEM 13c, Scale-Up or RAC, check Here.
Security in Cloud?
Another good question during the Live was about Security.
If you have any questions, then you can ask on the Live Show. Check Here.
You get security at each level being from Data at Rest using Encryption (TDE for Databases), Network Layer (SSL) or you can even configure VPN and Firewalls, Security Rules (Ingress & Egress), etc.
Note: In Cloud Security is shared responsibility
- Cloud Service Models (SaaS | PaaS | IaaS )
- Amazon AWS or Oracle Cloud (Confused?): Right Choice for DBAs
- Role of Oracle Apps DBA in Cloud
- EBS on OCI | E-Business Suite Cloud Manager | Automation at its Ease
- Oracle EBS (R12) On Cloud (OCI): High-Level Steps
- Oracle EBS(R12) on Cloud for Apps DBAs & Architects Training Program: Step-By-Step Activity Guides/Hands-On Lab Exercise
Next Task For You
If you are an Oracle Apps DBA and just starting out your journey to the Oracle Public Cloud, then click on the image below to Download our FREE Guide i.e., 7 Things Every Oracle Apps DBA & Architect Must Know To Build & Manage EBS (R12) On Cloud.