[updated on 15th Nov 2018] with the latest changes for deploying Oracle EBS (R12) on Cloud (OCI).
This post covers 15 things every Oracle Apps DBAs or Technical Architects must know when deploying/migrating Oracle EBS (R12) on Oracle Cloud (OCI).
If you want to look at tasks performed by Oracle Apps DBAs in Cloud or new role for Oracle Cloud Apps DBA then look at my previous post here
15 Things Oracle Apps DBAs must know for Oracle Cloud
1. Cloud mainly has three Service Models.
- Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS)
- Platform as a Service (PaaS)
- Software as a Service (SaaS)
Note: As Oracle Cloud Apps DBA, you’ll be working on IaaS & PaaS Service Model.
2. Under IaaS, Oracle has two main offerings (OCI & OCI-C). For EBS (R12) you can also have dedicate compute on Sparc Model
- Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI) Compute — This was earlier Bare Metal Cloud Service (BMCS)
- Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Classic (OCI-C) Compute (Compute Classic) — This was earlier original Compute
- Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Compute Classic – Dedicated Compute Capacity – SPARC Model 300
3. Oracle Database Cloud Service (DBCS) offering is from PaaS and has two main common options (apart from Schema as a Service)
- Database as a Service (DBaaS)
- Exadata Cloud Service (ExaCS)
Note: Autonomous Database on OCI is not yet certified with EBS R12 on Cloud
4. Oracle EBS (R12) has two main tiers (Third is Client Tier i.e.Java-enabledd Browser )
- Database Tier: Oracle EBS Database is deployed in this tier
- Application Tier: Oracle EBS Middle Tier (like Fusion Middleware, OHS, WebLogic etc)
5. You can deploy EBS on cloud in three ways:
- Traditional Deployment: In traditional deployment, we deploy everything on customer hardware.
- Hybrid Deployment: In hybrid deployment, we deploy Apps tier on Customer hardware and database tier on Cloud.
- Oracle Public Cloud: In this deployment, apps tier will be deployed on IaaS and Database tier can be deployed on IaaS or PaaS (DBCS or Exadata CS).
6. EBS (R12) Application Tier must be deployed on IaaS and is supported on all three IaaS offerings from Oracle (OCI Compute, OCI Compute Classic, OCI Compute Classic SPARC)
7. EBS R12 (Database) can be deployed on either IaaS or PaaS (DBCS offering). EBS R12 Database Tier on PaaS can be configured with either DBaaS or ExaCS
8. Oracle Database Cloud Service (DBCS) has four options for Software Editions ( More on this at my previous post here )
- Standard Edition (SE)
- Enterprise Edition (EE)
- Enterprise Edition High Performance (EE-HP)
- Enterprise Edition Extreme Performance (EE-EP)
9. If Oracle EBS (R12) Database Tier is using Oracle Database Cloud Service, then Software Edition should be either EE-HP or EE-EP
11. You can run Oracle EBS(R12) with RAC on Oracle Cloud but in that case Database Tier must be on PaaS Offering (DBCS or ExaCS)
12. You can create new Oracle EBS (R12) – Vision or Fresh Database using
- Template from Oracle Cloud Marketplace
- Using EBS Cloud Manager tool. (To know more about EBS Cloud Manager Tool, check here).
Note: Earlier Cloud Admin Tool was used to create Oracle EBS instance on cloud. (More on EBS Cloud Admin Tool in my previous post here )
Note: EBS Cloud Manager Tool is recommended approach for provisioning Oracle EBS (R12) Instance in Cloud.
13. You can Lift & Shift (Migrate) an On-Premise EBS (R12) Instance to Oracle Cloud using Automated Method. For things to consider before EBS (R12) migration to Oracle Cloud, Check our blog 10 things to consider before Migration to Cloud
14. Oracle Cloud at Customer (OCC) is service where Customer can keep Oracle Cloud Machines (On Subscription Basis) at their own data centers and run EBS on Cloud similar to Oracle Public Cloud.
15. Oracle EBS R12 is NOT certified on Amazon AWS (IaaS)
Finally, If you want to learn all this quickly using our Step by Step Training program with Hands-On Activity Guide for Apps DBAs & Architects to Build, Manage & Migrate Oracle EBS (R12) on Cloud then check EBS on Cloud Advance training
If you are an Oracle Apps DBA and just starting out your journey to Oracle public Cloud then we highly recommend you to download our FREE Guide that contains 3 Docs every Oracle Apps DBA must read in order to manage and migrate Oracle EBS R12 on Oracle Cloud.
Click on below link to get the Guide.