Oracle has announced the latest release of Oracle EBS for Oracle Cloud Infrastructure i.e 220.127.116.11. with DB 19c.
If you are new to this technology, you must go through the below posts.
- Oracle EBS (R12) on Cloud for Beginners: 15 Must-Know Things
- Oracle EBS(R12) Cloud Manager Overview: What & How
- Oracle EBS (R12) On Cloud (OCI): High-Level Steps
In this post, I am going to cover the basic overview of the EBS Cloud Manager, What’s New in the latest release (18.104.22.168) and How to Provision & Upgrade the EBS CM (22.214.171.124).
EBS Cloud Manager Overview
EBS Cloud Manager is a tool through which you can manage E-Business Suite on Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI) used to Create, Manage, Configure Oracle application on Oracle Cloud (OCI).
Check our previous post on EBS Cloud Manager to know more.
De-supported Features In Oracle E-Business Suite On OCI
The following Oracle E-Business Suite Cloud Automation releases for Oracle Cloud Infrastructure are now de-supported:
- Release 19.2.1
- Release 19.1.1
- Release 18.4.1
- Release 18.3.1
- All 18.1.1.x releases
- All 2.x.x releases
Oracle E-Business Suite and Database Releases
The following release combinations have been removed for Oracle E-Business Suite Cloud Manager new provisioning:
- Oracle E-Business Suite Release 12.2.9 with Oracle Database 126.96.36.199 fresh install
- Oracle E-Business Suite Release 12.2.8 with Oracle Database 188.8.131.52 Vision demo and fresh install
- Oracle E-Business Suite Release 12.2.8 with Oracle Database 184.108.40.206
- Oracle E-Business Suite Release 12.2.7 with Oracle Database 220.127.116.11 Vision demo
- Oracle E-Business Suite Release 12.2.6 with Oracle Database 18.104.22.168 Vision demo
- Oracle E-Business Suite Release 12.1.3 with Oracle Database 22.214.171.124
The following database platforms are de-supported for all combinations of Oracle E-Business Suite Release 12.2 and 12.1.3 with Oracle Database 126.96.36.199 and 188.8.131.52:
- Database Cloud Service (DBCS) (Single Instance)
- 1-Node DB System Bare Metal (Single Instance)
New Features In EBS Cloud Manager(184.108.40.206):
Oracle E-Business Suite on OCI automation introduces the following Highlights:
- In 220.127.116.11, the main feature affected is Recovery Manager (RMAN) which is used in backup and restore automation.
- The default number of staging channels is set dynamically for RMAN based on the resources available in the base structure.
- EBS Cloud Backup Module – RMAN can optionally use the configuration file to optimize behavior.
- EBS Cloud Manager – Optionally specify the number of staging channels to allocate for RMAN.
- EBS Cloud Manager – Advanced RMAN parameters such as database pre-validation, binary compression algorithm to use, and an option for the number of staging channels can be optional.
3 Different Roles for Managing E-Bussiness Suite
- Network Administrators: Design the Network(VCN, Subnet, Load Balancer, etc)
- EBS Cloud Manager Administrators: Group of Users who will manage the EBS Cloud Manager
- EBS/Application DBA’s: Create & manage the Production, Dev, QA environment
Steps To Provision EBS Cloud Manager(18.104.22.168):
1) Log in to your Oracle Cloud account and go to the OCI Console.
Note: If you haven’t registered for the Oracle Cloud Free Trial account yet, then please Download the Step-by-Step Activity Guide to Register for Oracle Cloud Trial Account.
2) From the OCI hamburger menu, Select “Marketplace–>Applications”.
3) In the Marketplace, select Oracle E-Business Suite Cloud Manager Image.
4) Select the EBS Cloud manager version (22.214.171.124) and Compartment, then click on the Launch Instance.
Note: For the Lift and Shift Migration, you need EBS Cloud Backup Module.
You can Download EBS Cloud Backup Module 126.96.36.199 as Patch 31254259 from My Oracle Support.
How To Upgrade 20.1.1 EBS Cloud Manager to (188.8.131.52):
You can upgrade from 20.1.1 to Latest EBS Cloud manager 184.108.40.206 by using Done using self-update.pl utility ran directly from the existing EBS Cloud manager machine.
$ cd /u01/install/APPS/apps-unlimited-ebs/bin
$ Perl self-update.pl
To know more about how to upgrade to the new EBS cloud manager, check MOS Note 2434008.1
Highlighting Some Important Previous Released Versions:
Highlights of 20.1.1 (De-supported) :
- 19c Database Supported on OCI using Cloud Manager. Earlier it was on-premise.
- Automated Provisioning supports 19c Database (19.6)
- Vision Demo or Fresh installation with 19c Database
- Supported Platform – Compute, VM DB Systems (single-node or RAC), and Exadata DB Systems.
- Lift & shift supports 19.3 Database and above from on-prem.
- Cloud Cloning – Compute VM support for 19c Database.
- EBS Cloud Backup Module 20.1.1 Patch 31254259.
Highlights of 19.1.1 (De-supported) :
- With the release of (19.1.1), the name of Oracle E-Business Suite cloud automation for Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI) was changed to Oracle E-Business Suite Cloud Manager.
- Separation of Duties: With this release, three types of roles were introduced: network administrators, Oracle E-Business Suite Cloud Manager administrators, and Oracle E-Business Suite administrators.
- Database Bundle Patch on VM DB Systems (N and N-1).
- Cloud Backups (with Oracle Database 220.127.116.11).
- Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) Enablement for Compute.
- One-Click Provisioning (Oracle E-Business Suite Release 12.2 and Oracle Database 18.104.22.168 Vision).
If you wish to know more about the first release of EBS Cloud Manager then check the video below by Atul Kumar(Oracle ACE and Author):
- 2434500.1 Deploying Oracle E-Business Suite Cloud Manager on Oracle Cloud Infrastructure
- 2434008.1 Managing the Oracle E-Business Suite Cloud Manager Virtual Machine
- Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI): Region, AD, FD, Tenancy, Compartment, VCN, IAM, Storage Service
- [Video] Oracle EBS R12 on Cloud For Beginners: 7 Things You Must Know
- April 2019 EBS Cloud Manager Updates
- Oracle EBS (R12) on Cloud (OCI) Beginners: 15 Things Apps DBAs Must Know
- [Video] Role of Oracle Apps DBA (EBS) R12 On Cloud
Next Task For You
If you are an Oracle Apps DBA and just starting out your journey to Oracle public Cloud then we highly recommend you to download our FREE Guide that contains 7 Things Every Oracle Apps DBA & Architect Must Know To Build & Manage EBS (R12) On Cloud in order to Manage & Migrate Oracle EBS R12 on Oracle Cloud.