EBS Cloud Admin tool, a Centralized Tool which is used for managing multiple EBS environment on Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Classic (OCI-C), Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI) & Oracle Cloud @Customer.
To know more about EBS Cloud Admin Tool, check out our this post about Cloud Admin Tool.
Note: OCI is part of IaaS Service model (other 2 Cloud Service models are SaaS & PaaS) whereas OCI is re-branding of Bare Metal Cloud Service (BMCS).
If you are just starting your journey to Cloud, check our previous post on Cloud Service Model: SaaS | PaaS | IaaS.
Note: As of Dec 2018 EBS Cloud Admin Tool in OCI is replaced by EBS Cloud Manager, click Here to know more about it.
To know how to deploy EBS On OCI using EBS Cloud Manager, check Here.
This blog talks about the same and covers the above scenarios in detail. Cloud Admin tool is used in managing and maintaining multiple Oracle Applications on the Cloud. Below are the highlighted features illustrating the capabilities of this tool:
- Provisioning Single and Multi-tier Instances.
- Lift and Shift of Instances On-Premise to Oracle Cloud.
- Scaling up of Existing Instances on demand.
- Integrating Instance with OAM, Notification Mailer, SOA.
- Cloning and Fast Cloning Methodology.
- Backup of Instances.
Though with the new versions, these capabilities are frequently increasing. The current version of EBS Cloud Admin tool is 22.214.171.124 as of August 2018 and it’s a self-detect and self-update tool.
Let’s talk about EBS Cloud Admin Tool for Cloud at Customer (C@C). As we all know Cloud @ customer is a unique offering from the Oracle to have Cloud at the Customer premises to address the governance and security-related concerns of the customer. EBS Cloud Admin tool in such cases is not available via Marketplace as Cloud Marketplace is not yet available for OCC customers but EBS Cloud Admin tool is available via Patch.
Capabilities specific for EBS Cloud Admin Tool at OCC :
- Moving on-premises EBS environments to OCC.
- Provisioning new EBS environments to OCC.
- Managing EBS on OCC and Exadata OCC.
Here are the high-level steps for getting the Cloud Admin Tool for Cloud at the customer
1. Download the below images from My Oracle Support and move to Cloud at Customer.
- EBS Provisioning Tools Image
- EBS OS-Only Image
2. Download the Patch which contains the VM images.
- Cloud Admin Tool Patch version 18.2.1 – 26910036. It is a 5.7 GB patch.
- You need to upload the images to OCI Storage classic.
3. Once these images are there in your account, then further steps are same as EBS Cloud Admin tool on Classic.
- Log in to account, the Traditional one.
- Create an Instance.
- Select Private Images which you have uploaded.
- Select Shape.
- Add ssh Keys.
- Select Shared Network – Network Screen and furnish details.
- No change on the Storage Screen.
- Review and Launch.
In 15 mins, EBS Cloud Admin Tool will be ready to use and you can connect it using the ssh keys and the OPC user.
4. Further, you need to update the OCIClassicOSImage.json file with the correct image and you are done.
An important point to note:
- Configuring Cloud Admin tool for OCC is a one-time process.
- Some features might not be applicable for OCC compare to OCI-Classic or OCI model.
- The marketplace is not available for OCC yet.
- Only available for Oracle Cloud and no other vendor.
Please Stay tuned for my next blog where I will talk about the EBS Cloud Admin Tool at OCI-C and OCI model.
Note: As of Dec 2018, EBS Cloud Admin Tool in OCI is replaced by EBS Cloud Manager. Click Here to know more about it.
Now, it’s your turn to share one Tip or Ask a Question related to deploying EBS (R12) on Oracle Cloud under comments.
If you are just a beginner to Oracle Cloud, then check our below posts to start your journey:
- Role of Oracle Apps DBA (EBS) R12 On Cloud
- Oracle EBS (R12) on Cloud: Architects Perspective: What and Why?
- [Video] Oracle EBS (R12) On Cloud Deployment Architect
- EBS on Cloud Advance Training Program
- Oracle EBS(R12) on Cloud for Apps DBAs & Architects Training Program: Step-By-Step Activity Guides/Hands-On Lab Exercise
Next Task For You
If you are an Oracle Apps DBA and just starting out your journey to the Oracle Public Cloud, then click on the Image below to Download our FREE Guide i.e., 7 Things Every Oracle Apps DBA & Architect Must Know To Build & Manage EBS (R12) On Cloud.