This post covers one of the most common questions we get from trainees in our Build, Manage & Migrate EBS (R12) On Oracle Gen2 Cloud (OCI) Training (To register for our FREE Master Class, Click here) that is “Can we use Oracle Goldengate tool to migrate EBS to Oracle cloud infrastructure (OCI)?”
Oracle GoldenGate Overview:
Before coming to the question, let me first tell you what is Goldengate. Oracle GoldenGate (OGG) provides near real-time transactional data replication. Replication may be uni-directional, bi-directional or multi-dimensional. For more information, check our blog here.
EBS (R12) Migration on Cloud Overview:
You can migrate EBS(R12) on Cloud using Cloud Manager tool. This tool can be used to Create, Manage, Configure Oracle application on Oracle Cloud (OCI) (To know more about this tool, Click here). After setting all the pre-requisites, you have to run EBSCloudBackup.pl script from Clone utility to backup your EBS (R12) instance to Cloud and then you can provision EBS on Cloud using that backup. But in this method, little downtime will be required. As we can use Oracle Goldengate to migrate the normal database without downtime so can this be possible in case of EBS on Cloud migration as well? We will discuss this query in our post further.
To know more about cloud migrations, check our below blog posts.
- [Video] Oracle Database Migration To Cloud (Lift & Shift): Overview & Methodology
- Oracle EBS (R12) On-Premise to Cloud Migration (Lift & Shift): 10 Things You Must Consider
- Oracle E-Business Suite (R12) On OCI for Apps DBAs
So let’s now proceed with the Query.
Que. Can we use Oracle Golden Gate tool to migrate E-Business Suite (EBS) to Oracle Cloud infrastructure (OCI)?
Ans. No, Oracle GoldenGate does not currently support the replication of all of the datatypes that are used by the E-Business Suite (EBS). EBS uses Oracle Advanced Queues, which under metadata tables use the ANYDATA data type. This particular data type is not currently supported by Oracle GoldenGate. As all data types are not supported by Golden gate for EBS migration so we cannot use it.
Then what are the other options to migrate EBS (R12) to Cloud??
1) If your EBS is platform compatible then you can do lift and shift directly using Cloud Manager Tool. To know more check here. But in this case, little downtime will be required. In this manual process, you need to follow below steps:
- Create Target resources in the Cloud.
- Clone the Database and Application,
- Prepare and transfer to the cloud
- Create and Configure in DB tier and Application Tier in Cloud.
2) If your EBS is on a different platform then you first need to do platform migration and then you can perform the lift and shift directly. You can follow the below Doc IDs from Oracle.
- Oracle E-Business Suite Upgrades and Platform Migration (My Oracle Support Note 1377213.1)
- For EBS 12.1 Platform migration, follow Doc ID 2473448.1
- For EBS 12.2 Platform migration, follow Doc ID 2473449.1
3) If you don’t want any downtime then you can use Dataguard (For now, only compatible with compute systems, not with DB systems). To do the same, you first need to provision compute image on the cloud and then configure dataguard. When you are ready to migrate then switchover which will avoid downtime.
This post is from our Course “Build, Manage & Migrate EBS (R12) On Oracle Cloud (OCI)” where we are using compute to build & manage EBS on Cloud and cover lots of advanced topics as well like Cloning, Backup and Restore, Lift and shift, Troubleshooting, etc.
- GoldenGate 12c Certified with E-Business Suite 12.2
- Check Deploying Oracle GoldenGate to Achieve Operational Reporting for Oracle E-Business Suite (Doc ID 1112325.1)
- Using Oracle GoldenGate to Replicate Data from Oracle E-Business Suite 12.2 (Doc ID 2004495.1)
- Low Downtime E-Business Suite Migrations using Oracle GoldenGate
- [Video] Oracle EBS R12 on Cloud For Beginners: 7 Things You Must Know
- April 2019 EBS Cloud Manager Updates
- Oracle EBS (R12) on Cloud (OCI) Beginners: 15 Things Apps DBAs Must Know
- [Video] Role of Oracle Apps DBA (EBS) R12 On Cloud
Next Task For You
If you are an Oracle Apps DBA and just starting out your journey to Oracle public Cloud then we highly recommend you to download our FREE Guide that contains 7 Things Every Oracle Apps DBA & Architect Must Know To Build & Manage EBS (R12) On Cloud in order to Manage & Migrate Oracle EBS R12 on Oracle Cloud.
Click on below image to get the FREE Guide.