This post covers, how to deploy Highly Available Oracle EBS (R12) & Database including Disaster Recovery in Oracle’s Gen 2 Cloud (OCI). We also look at how Region, Availability Domain (AD) & Fault Domain (FD) play an important role in deploying HA & DR in Oracle’s Gen 2 Cloud i.e. OCI.
Registered for the Free Masterclass on How To Transition From An Oracle Apps DBA To Oracle Cloud Apps DBA?
This post is part of my FREE 5 Part Video Series On Networking in Oracle’s Gen 2 Cloud in which I covered why networking is important for DBAs & Apps DBAs, 3 ways to connect to Oracle Cloud, VCN/Subnet/Security List and two types of Load Balancer In Oracle Cloud (OCI). If you have not registered for this FREE 5 part video series then Register Here
Overview EBS (R12) High Availability & Disaster Recovery On Oracle Cloud (OCI)
Oracle E-business Suite (R12) can be highly deployed on Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI) in 3 different ways based on your requirements.
- Single Availability Domain & Single Region
- Multiple Availability Domain but single Region
- Multiple Availability Domain and Multiple Region
To know more about Regions In Oracle Cloud Infrastructure check here
Note: Here Oracle EBS is just an example here and the same approach is applicable for any 3 Tier application be it Peoplesoft or JDEdward or custom Java or .NET Application with Database.
[Option 1]: Single Availability Domain & Single Region
- This type of deployment is suitable for Test/Dev Environment or non-critical application where business can afford to wait for some time to recover data in case of any issues with application or underlying infrastructure like Servers, Storage, Network even or Database.
- Another reason why may have to pick this option if because you are in a Region and that region there is only 1 Availability Domain (like for now in Toronto there is only 1 AD as of Feb 2019) and Regulations/ Data Compliance enforces you to be only in this Region with just 1 Availability Domain
- For Connectivity, we will be using Local VCN Peering within the Same AD
- To know more about Networking in Oracle Cloud Infrastructure, check here
[Option 2]: Multiple Availability Domain but single Region
- This is one of the most common deployments we see Cloud customers using and provides both high availability & disaster recovery but within a region.
- For Connectivity, we will be using Local VCN Peering across AD but within same region
[Option 3]: Multiple Availability Domain and Multiple Region
- This is for mission-critical large deployment that provides disaster recovery solutions across Region. This is, taking second option two to next level by replicating data across the region
- For Connectivity, we will be using Remote VCN Peering across Region
Note: As of Dec 2019, EBS Cloud Manager doesn’t allow automatic DR setup, so everything is done manually after deploying Oracle E-Business Suite R12 from EBS Cloud Manager.
So next time you have to deploy Highly Available Application then questions you should be asking from client/business is
- Check recovery time objective like how quickly you want to recover in case of failure
- How many regions you can set up (consider compliance)
- Do you have multiple ADs or single AD
- Do you need RAC database or single node database is fine
- Is application public-facing or internal only (would you need public LB or private is enough)
Here we come to the end of this FREE 5 Part Video Series On Networking in Oracle’s Gen 2 Cloud, If you enjoyed this series then don’t forget to share with your colleagues and subscribe to my blog so that you get weekly useful content related to Oracle Cloud by going to URL (http://k21academy.com/subscribe)
- Best Practices for Disaster Recovery in Oracle Cloud Infrastructure
- Best Practices for Deploying High Availability Architecture on Oracle Cloud Infrastructure
- Blueprint: Oracle E-Business Suite on Oracle Cloud Infrastructure
- 2434500.1 Deploying Oracle E-Business Suite Cloud Manager on Oracle Cloud Infrastructure
- 2434008.1 Managing the Oracle E-Business Suite Cloud Manager Virtual Machine
- [Video] Oracle EBS R12 on Cloud For Beginners: 7 Things You Must Know
- April 2019 EBS Cloud Manager Updates(19.1.1)
- Oracle EBS (R12) on Cloud (OCI) Beginners: 15 Things Apps DBAs Must Know
- [Video] Role of Oracle Apps DBA (EBS) R12 On Cloud
Next Task For You
If you are an Oracle Apps DBA and just starting out your journey to Oracle public Cloud then we highly recommend you to download our FREE Guide that contains 7 Things Every Oracle Apps DBA & Architect Must Know To Build & Manage EBS (R12) On Cloud in order to Manage & Migrate Oracle EBS R12 on Oracle Cloud.
Click on the below image to get the FREE Guide.