New Update [30th September 2020] Oracle opens the UAE East cloud region in Dubai. This is a part of Oracle’s global plans to operate 36 second-generation cloud regions by the end of 2020.
Oracle on Wednesday (30th September 2020) added a new Cloud Region in Dubai, UAE. Now there are a total of 20 regions.
New Region Added: Dubai, UAE
[Updated on September 30th, 2020]
Oracle has announced the availability of a new Region in which you have 1 Availability Domain (AD)
What Is Region
- Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI) Servers & Data is hosted in a Region.
- There is a total of 20 Region now (i.e. London, Sao Paulo, Frankfurt, Ashburn, Phoenix, Canada Tokyo, Seoul, Mumbai, Dubai, Zurich, Sydney, Osaka, Melbourne, Jeddah, Amsterdam, Montreal, Hyderabad, Chuncheon, San Jose).
- Every Region can have up to 3 Availability Domain. The first 4 regions (London, Ashburn, Pheonix, and Frankfurt) have 3 ADs while all the new regions have 1 AD each.
- OCI services are Global (IAM), Regional (VCN, Object Storage), and some are AD Specific (Compute, DB System, Boot/Block Volumes).
- When you create a Cloud Account a Home Region is by default allocated to you, wherein you can subscribe to another region as well.
Check out: 1Z0-1072-20 to know everything about Oracle Cloud Infrastructure 2020 Architect Associate.
How To Subscribe To New Region
1. Log in to the Cloud Console, & from the taskbar drop down, click on Manage Region, from there you can subscribe to any Region you want.
Note: As of March 2020 if you are using a trial account then you can only subscribe to Home Region.
2. Another method is Log into the Console, & from the Navigation menu, under Administration, click Region Management, there you can Subscribe to other Regions
Availability Domain (AD) & Fault Domain (FD)
- Availability Domain (AD) is one or more data centers located within a region. A region is composed of three availability domains.
- A fault domain is a grouping of hardware and infrastructure within an availability domain, which provides a higher degree of protection from unexpected hardware failures or computer hardware maintenance.
Check out: List of Free Oracle Cloud Certification
How A Region, FD & AD Provides High Availability?
- The region is divided into datacentres which are Availability Domains. ADs are further divided into Fault Domain & FD provides protection against failure within AD. This Process is an example of High Availability within a Datacentre.
- If you are designing your databases, or VM, or Load Balancer then you will be configuring them within AD but across Fault Domains for High Availability within a Datacenter.
- If you want HA across the regions with a single AD and If a region supports multiple ADs then you are going to deploy them across multiple ADs or you can configure them across Region to avoid any region failures.
- In case of a region failure of a single AD region, we will be deploying services across the region to avoid any region failure. This process is an example of Region pair maintaining HA
To know more about core services in Oracle Cloud Infrastructure.
How To Check The Availability Domain
Availability Domain is one or more data centers located within a Region. Every Region can have up to 3 Availability Domains. The first 4 regions (London, Ashburn, Pheonix, and Frankfurt) have 3 ADs while all the new regions have 1 AD each.
Once you subscribe to the new region, you can go under Compute & try to create an Instance.
Here, you can see, in this new region you will have only 1 AD
Realm In OCI
A realm is a logical collection of regions. Realms are isolated from each other and do not share any data. Tenancy exists in a single realm and can access regions that belong to the realm. Currently, there are 3 realms in OCI:
- Commercial Realm
- Govt Cloud: FedRAMP (Federal Risk & Authorization Management Program)
- Govt Cloud: IL5 Authorized (Impact Level 5)
Note: Not all services are currently supported in Govt Cloud.
Commercial vs Government Region
There are two types of Regions:
a) Government Cloud: Is dedicated to Government Organizations only (Federal compliant). Only government companies can access them with proper approvals, and this will be assigned by Oracle.
b) Commercial Cloud: It is not limited to one Organization but it is publicly available.
List Of Regions Added
[September 30th, 2020] Update 14: A new Oracle Cloud Region added in Dubai, UAE
[July 24th, 2020] Update 13: A new Oracle Cloud Region added in San Jose, CA
[May 29th, 2020] Update 12: A new Oracle Cloud Region added in Chuncheon, South Korea
[April 30th, 2020] Update 11: A new Oracle Cloud Region added in Hyderabad, India
[March 1st, 2020] Update 10: A new Oracle Cloud Region added in Montreal, Canada
[Feb 1st, 2020] Update 9: 3 new Oracle Cloud Regions added in Melbourne(Australia Southeast), Jeddah(Saudi Arabia West), Amsterdam(Netherlands Northwest)
[Jan 24th, 2020] Update 8: A new Oracle Cloud Region added in Osaka, Japan
[Aug 30th, 2019] Update 7: A new Oracle Cloud Region added in Sydney, Australia
[Aug 23rd, 2019] Update 6: A new Oracle Cloud Region added in Sao Paulo, Brazil
[Aug 2nd, 2019] Update 5: A new Oracle Cloud Region added in Zurich, Switzerland
[July 26th, 2019] Update 4: A new Oracle Cloud Region added in Mumbai, India
[May 13th, 2019] Update 3: A new Oracle Cloud Region added in Seoul, South Korea
[Apr 30th, 2019] Update 2: Oracle added new OCI Region in Tokyo, Japan
[Jan 17th, 2019] Update 1: Oracle added new OIC Region in Toronto, Canada
Note: For the full list of Oracle Cloud Regions including PaaS & IaaS.
- Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI): Region, AD, FD, Tenancy, Compartment, VCN, IAM, Storage Service
- [Video 3 of 5] Oracle Cloud: Create VCN, Subnet, Firewall (Security List), IGW, DRG: Step By Step
- Data Regions for Platform and Infrastructure Services
Next Task For You
There are 3 levels of OCI Certifications:
- If you are a complete beginner you can go for [1Z0-1085] OCI Foundation.
- If you are already done with [1Z0-1085] OCI Foundation then the next level will be [1Z0-1072] OCI Architect Associate.
- If you want to take your career to a higher level within OCI then you can go for [1Z0-997] OCI Professional.
Begin your journey towards becoming an Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Foundations 2020 Certified Associate by joining our Training on [1Z0-1085]Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Foundations.