This post covers, how to deploy Highly Available Oracle EBS (R12) & Database including Disaster Recovery in Oracle’s Gen 2 Cloud OCI. We also look at how Region, Availability Domain (AD) & Fault Domain (FD) play an important role in deploying HA & DR in Oracle’s Gen 2 Cloud i.e. OCI.
This post is part of my FREE 5 Part Video Series On Networking in Oracle’s Gen 2 Cloud in which I covered why networking is important for DBAs & Apps DBAs, 3 ways to connect to Oracle Cloud, VCN/Subnet/Security List and two type of Load Balancer In Oracle Cloud (OCI). If you have not registered for this FREE 5 part video series then Register Here
Overview EBS (R12) High Availability & Disaster Recovery On Oracle Cloud (OCI)
Oracle E-business suite (R12) can be highly deployed on Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI) in 3 different ways based on your requirement.
- Single Availability Domain & Single Region
- Multiple Availability Domain but single Region
- Multiple Availability Domain and Multiple Region
Note: Here Oracle EBS is just an example here and the same approach is applicable for any 3 Tier application be it Peoplesoft or JDEdward or custom Java or .NET Application with Database.
[Option 1]: Single Availability Domain & Single Region
- This type of deployment is suitable for Test/Dev Environment or non-critical application where business can afford to wait for some time to recover data in case of any issues with application or underlying infrastructure like Servers, Storage, Network even or Database.
- Another reason why may have to pick this option if because you are in a Region and that region there is only 1 Availability Domain (like for now in Toronto there is only 1 AD as of Feb 2019) and Regulations/ Data Compliance enforces you to be only in this Region with just 1 Availability Domain
[Option 2]: Multiple Availability Domain but single Region
- This is one of the most common deployments we see Cloud customers using and provides both high availability & disaster recovery but within a region.
[Option 3]: Multiple Availability Domain and Multiple Region
- This is for mission critical large deployment that provides disaster recovery solution across Region. This is, taking second option two to next level by replicating data across the region
So next time you have to deploy Highly Available Application then questions you should be asking from client/business is
- Check recovery time objective like how quickly you want to recover in case of failure
- How many regions you can set up (consider compliance)
- Do you have multiple ADs or single AD
- Do you need RAC database or single node database is fine
- Is application public facing or internal only (would you need public LB or private is enough)
Here we come to the end of this FREE 5 Part Video Series On Networking in Oracle’s Gen 2 Cloud, If you enjoyed this series then don’t forget to share with your colleagues and subscribe to my blog so that you get weekly useful content related to Oracle Cloud by going to URL (http://k21academy.com/subscribe)
Next Task For You
if you want to take your career to next level by becoming Oracle Certified Cloud Architect even if you are a beginner then Join FREE Masterclass on How To Become Oracle Certified Cloud Architect [1Z0-932] in 8 Weeks
Click on the image below to register for FREE