This post covers the Roles, Responsibilities & Tasks performed by DBAs & Apps DBAs in Oracle Cloud Infrastructure.
Roles / Tasks of Oracle Cloud DBA / Apps DBAs
Looking at so many requests, here I have discussed, How the Role of DBA changes with Cloud and how the Roles and Responsibilities change as you upgrade yourself from DBA to Cloud DBA.
These are the roles and responsibilities of the cloud DBA:
1) Design & Deployment of Database:
The first thing you as a senior Cloud DBA or Architect will be doing is designing & need to decide where you deploy these Databases.
There are three categories of database deployments in OCI:
- Autonomous database: Shared/Serverless or Dedicated
- User Managed (PaaS: DBCS/ DBaaS): VM DB, BM DB, Exadata on Cloud, Exadata Cloud at Customer
- Database on Compute (IaaS: Unmanaged)
Note: To know more about Database deployments types check here
- Once you decide the Database type, then you will decide in which Region & AD to deploy this Database.
- You also need to decide if you want to configure High Availability (HA) & Disaster Recovery (DR) like RAC & Data Guard
2) Provision Database
Once you have done the designing part then next will come is Provisioning of Database.
In order to provision the database, you should have the knowledge of the pre-requisites depending upon whether you are setting up an Autonomous Database, User-Managed Database or you are simply deploying a Database on Compute
- You should be familiar with Pre-requisites like Network Setup connectivity (VCN, Subent, Security rules). To know more in details check here
- The different types of editions (SE, EE, HP, EP).
Note: for Exadata, it’s always Extreme Performance.
- The SSH keys which is used to connect the DB Instance.
Note: To know more about how to generate SSH key pair for Oracle Cloud (Windows/Linux) click here
Note: To know more about how to provision a database on oracle cloud (OCI) check here
The third thing you should know about is how to connect to database
- There are three ways to connect from the On-premise to the Oracle Cloud, a) using Public IP b) IPSec VPN connect c) Fast connect
Note: To know more in details about 3 ways to Connect to the Oracle Cloud Check here
- In the case of the Autonomous Database, you should be familiar with the Client Credentials, how to download them & how to make connectivity.
Note: To know more about How to Connect to the Autonomous Database on Oracle Cloud Check here
- Also, you should have knowledge of Network connectivity, things like Security List (SL) & Network Security Groups (NSG) which are kind of firewalls in Oracle Public Cloud. To know more about Network Security Groups (NSGs) Vs. Security List (SL): When to use What? Check here
Oracle Cloud: Security Rules
To allow/block incoming & outgoing connections, A security list provides a virtual firewall for an instance, with ingress and egress rules that specify the types of traffic allowed in and out. To know more about Security Rules, please check here
Then the other responsibilities of DBAs are Administration.
It is the main functionality, so you will be looking for things like:
- Performance Tuning (Using the Performance Hub or Service Console for Autonomous DB), to know more Performance Tuning click here
- Scaling up & Scaling down of the services (CPU, disk space or memory)
- Access controls, and resetting the passwords.
Other tasks are maybe adding the SSH keys or terminating the Database, start and stop the databases.
The 6 thing you will be doing is Patching.
- Database Patching
- Grid Infrastructure patching
- Cloud tooling patching
- Operating systems patches
- Rollback a patch
You have to apply patches to the User-Managed Databases i.e VM DB, BM DB, and Exadata Cloud Service.
Note: Patching in the Autonomous database is being taken care of by Oracle.
As an Oracle Cloud DBA, you need to learn new tools for Start/Stop i.e. dbcli and dbaascli(Database as a Service Command Line Interface) or Database Service Console to perform the patching.
6) Backup & Restore
The Sixth task will be Backup & Restore.
Oracle provides you all the necessary tools to back up the databases on the cloud but you have to configure the backup scenarios. Backup methods like schedules backup or on time backup will be configured you still have to do the Back-up and Recovery using new tools. To take database backup we use a different type of Cloud Tools which includes OCI Console, APIs, RMAN, dbcli, bkup_api.
Note: To know more about backup and restore in Oracle database click here
In my view, Security is the most important thing apart from Lift & Shift
All the cloud vendors work on a shared security model in which some of the responsibility lies to the Cloud vendor and some to the customer.
Recently, Oracle announced Three new Security Services in Oracle OpenWorld 2019 that have been added: Oracle Datasafe, Cloud Data Guard, and Maximum Security Zone.
Note: To know more about data guard click here
Note: To know more about the Compartment & Policy In oracle Cloud, Check here
8) Migration (Lift & Shift)
Once the security is done then you will be doing migration Lift & shift
In this task, you will be migrating your databases from on-premise to the cloud. Oracle provides you a lot of migration options like ZDM( Zero Downtime), MV2ADB (move to ADB), SQL Developer, Data-Pump, RMAN, Plug-Unplug, etc.
You will also have migration methods like physical, logical, offline or online, etc.
Above all the tasks are undertaken by a CloudDBA.
Note: To know more in details about Migration Autonomous Database to Cloud Options check here
Note: To know how to migrate the database to oracle Cloud using Hybrid Data Guard click here
For Apps DBAs
1) EBS Cloud Manager (EBS CM)
If you are an Apps DBA, Working on E-Bussiness Suite, PeopleSoft, JD Edwards then you have a few additional roles & responsibilities.
You will be managing your application like EBS or Peoplesoft on Cloud & for that, you have EBS Cloud Manager which is a GUI to build, manage & migrate application on cloud. Also, it will be used for Migrating & cloning applications on the cloud.
- Note: To know more about EBS Cloud Manager in detail, check here
- Note: To know more in details about Lift & Shift Migration to Cloud, check here & here
So as shown in the video above, the role of Oracle DBA will transition to Oracle Cloud DBA. A quote from Charles Darwin “It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.”
- [Video] Oracle Cloud Database Options (VMDB, BMDB, ExaCS, ExaCS & Autonomous (ADW, ATP)
- How To Create Database on Oracle’s Gen2 Cloud (OCI)
- How to Create Oracle Autonomous Linux On Oracle Cloud
- Migrate the database to oracle Cloud using Hybrid Data Guard
- Backup Database on Cloud: Everything You Must Know
How Can I Learn More
We cover all the above topics in detail in our DBA to Oracle Cloud DBA Training program. To know more about our DBA to Cloud DBA Training, How to upgrade From DBA To Cloud DBA and Which Cloud Certification Useful for DBAs & Earn More by registering for our FREE Masterclass.
Click on the below image to Register Our FREE Masterclass Now!