This post covers the new role of Oracle DBA in Cloud i.e. Oracle Cloud DBA and what you can do to learn & transition from Oracle DBA to Oracle Cloud DBA to stay ahead in your Career.
Databases Are Moving to Cloud, Are You?
With Oracle CTO Larry Ellison’s Keynote at Oracle OpenWorld 2017 #oow17 about World’s first Autonomous Database 18c I received 100s of messages, some worried ‘Is DBA as a Career Over‘ while others ready to prepare for now & future ‘What Oracle DBAs should do to prepare for Future or for Cloud‘
First of all you as a DBA, there is nothing to worry about. There will still be a role of DBAs but it will transition from less of routine tasks like Install, Patch or Upgrade to more innovative tasks like Architecture Design, Deployment, Security, Integration, and Migration to Cloud.
Databases are already moving to Cloud and over next few years, more and more Databases will move to Cloud (mainly in PaaS space – If you are not familiar with SaaS, PaaS & IaaS then check here).
In my view, every change brings new opportunity & here is your chance to learn about this new Role as Oracle Cloud DBA to stay ahead in professional Career, Earn More & Enjoy What You Do.
Role of Oracle Cloud DBA
One of the most common questions being asked in our private Facebook Group dedicated to Oracle Cloud and those join our Oracle Database Cloud Administration (Cloud DBA) Training is about Role of Cloud DBA
Looking at so many requests, I created a video on How the Role of DBA changes with Cloud and how the Roles and Responsibilities changes as you upgrade yourself from DBA to Cloud DBA.
As shown in the Video these are the following tasks that you will be doing as Oracle Cloud DBA:
- Design & Specifications of Database i.e. CPU, Memory, Disk Space, Future Growth, High Availability & Disaster Recovery (Yes even in Cloud, you have to consider HA & DR).
- Creating & Configuration of Oracle Database is very simple in Cloud with Click of a Button or with Oracle Cloud Infrastructure CLI & Database CLI (DBCLI) but someone needs to invoke these Scripts or Click (Cloud DBA will perform this task)
- As an Oracle Cloud DBA, you need to learn new tools for Start/Stop i.e. dbcli and dbadmcli(Database as a Service Command Line Interface) or Database Service Console
- Still, you have to Patch but using new tools like dbcli & dbadmcli
- You still have to do the Back-up and Recovery using new tools and Oracle Object Storage Service (Swift storage)
- You still will be learning about Migration to the Cloud (Lift & Shift) and this is where you can expect a lot of work to migrate existing on-premise databases to Cloud.
- You still will be learning about Disaster Recovery (or Data Guard ) in Cloud and setting up Disaster Recovery (DR) on Cloud for Data Center Failover (Yes this is not available out of Box & You as Cloud DBA will have to set it up).
- You still will be configuring RAC on Cloud or you will be deploying maximum availability Architecture. Check my Video Blog on Setting Up RAC Database in Oracle Cloud
- You still will be configuring OEM CC 13c: Hybrid Cloud Management to Manage both On-Premise & Cloud Database or using Oracle Management Cloud (OMC)
Oracle Database CLI (dbadmcli), Patching, Security Rules , & OEM
Oracle Database CLI (dbadmcli
The following commands are to perform administrative actions on the DB system:
- dbadmcli manage diagcollect
- dbadmcli power
- dbadmcli power disk status
- dbadmcli show controller
- dbadmcli show disk
- dbadmcli show diskgroup
- dbadmcli show env_hw (environment type and hardware version)
- dbadmcli show fs (file system details)
- dbadmcli show storage
- dbadmcli stordiag
Patch: Database Cloud Service Console:
This is a Graphical user interface or service console where you can manage or patch or administer your database.
Oracle Cloud: Security Rules:
To allow/block incoming & outgoing connections, A security list provides a virtual firewall for an instance, with ingress and egress rules that specify the types of traffic allowed in and out. To know more abut Security Rules, please check here
Oracle Enterprise Manager 13c:
Oracle Enterprise Manager (OEM) deployed with Hybrid Cloud Agent deployed on the cloud servers and monitoring your multiple cloud servers from enterprise manager.
So as shown in the video above, the role of Oracle DBA will transition to Oracle Cloud DBA. I always quote Charles Darwin “It is not the strongest of the species that survives, not the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.”
Now if you want to go further deep and become Oracle Certified Cloud DBA, then next, Register for FREE Masterclass Click on the image below to register for FREE