In this blog post, I will discuss Oracle Database on Cloud different choices & options you have for On-premise as well as for Oracle Cloud. It comes with options like:
- User Managed (PaaS: DBCS/ DBaaS): VM DB, BM DB, Exadata on Cloud, Exadata Cloud at Customer
- Autonomous database: Shared/Serverless or Dedicated
- Database on Compute (IaaS: Unmanaged)
I will also discuss What are these various Databases on Cloud deployment options, When to use what, Who controls what in these deployment options?
Note: This post is part of Video series of Roles and Responsibility or Tasks of DBA, if you haven’t seen my previous post then click on the link to watch the previous video post-https://k21academy.com/clouddba12
Database Choices & Options
In the diagram shown below, from left to right are the On-premises platform choices (i.e. all manual tasks), Automated, and Cloud choices (i.e. Autonomous).
- Traditional Database Deployment (On-premises): The most common deployment model prior to the evolution of the Cloud where your DB is on the commodity hardware.
- Oracle Exadata On-premises: You will purchase Exadata and deploy your database & heavy workload on Exadata On-premise.
- Exadata Cloud@Customer: Oracle Cloud at Customer delivers Oracle Cloud services in your data center that would be managed by Oracle.
Note: To know more about Cloud@Customer check post at, https://k21academy.com/oci47
- DB on Compute (OCI): This is similar to the database on On-premise, however instead of running on-premise, you are running it on Cloud. In this type, you will not get any tooling. (For testing only not a recommended approach)
- DBCS (VMDB & BMDB): Databases run on OCI as a DBCS & this is where you get all the Cloud tooling like automated cloning, patching, backing up & restoring.
Note: To know more about how to provision VMDB system check post at, https://k21academy.com/clouddba60
- Exadata Cloud Service: Running Exadata but on Cloud, you subscribe to either a Quater rack, Half rack or a full rack.
Note: To know more about Oracle Exadata Cloud Service(ExaCS) Architecture, click here http://k21academy.com/exadatacs12
- Autonomous DB Serverless: this is the simplest configuration, you share the resources of an Exadata cloud infrastructure. You can quickly get started with no minimum commitment.
- Autonomous DB Dedicated: This type enables you to provision autonomous databases into their own dedicated Exadata cloud infrastructure, instead of a shared infrastructure.
Note: To know more about Oracle Autonomous Database Overview: ADW, ATP, Serverless & Dedicated Infrastructure, click here https://k21academy.com/1z093112
Check below to look at what controls you have, for these different Databases on the Cloud as well as On-premise.
Database Service In Oracle Cloud Infrastructure
Databases in Oracle Cloud Infrastructure can be put in two main categories:
- User-Managed Database: User-managed Database are the Databases on bare metal, virtual machine, and Exadata DB systems that enable you to customize with the resources that meet your requirements.
- Autonomous Database: It includes
- ATP: Autonomous Transaction Processing
- ADW: Autonomous Data Warehouse
Cloud Database Deployment Choices
Check the image below for an overall picture of deploying Databases on Cloud.
How To Provision Database on Oracle Cloud
1) Register & Log into the Oracle Cloud account, cloud.oracle.com.
Note: First, you should have an Account at Oracle Cloud and if you don’t have one, then you can register FREE using my step-by-step video & guide. You can get it by visiting https://k21academy.com/cloud01.
2) Click on the hamburger menu, and Under ‘Database’, you will get the option to provision DB.
For a User-managed Database, click on ‘Bare Metal, VM & Exadata,’ & the other two for Autonomous (ADW & ATP)
Note: To know further step to provision VMDB system click here https://k21academy.com/clouddba41
Note: To know how to provision Autonomous database click here http://k21academy.com/clouddba31
- How To Create Database on Oracle’s Gen2 Cloud (OCI)
- How to Create Oracle Autonomous Linux On Oracle Cloud
- Oracle Cloud at Customers(C@C): Overview and Concept for Beginners
Next Task For You
- Get the FREE Copy of Step-By-Step Guide to Register for Oracle Cloud Trial Account in your inbox.
Join FREE Masterclass
We cover all the database deployment options in detail in our DBA to Oracle Cloud DBA Training program. To know more about our DBA to Cloud DBA Training, How to upgrade From DBA To Cloud DBA and Which Cloud Certification Useful for DBAs & Earn More by registering for our FREE Masterclass.
Click on the below image to Register Our FREE Masterclass Now!