This post covers the difference between Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Classic (OCI-C) Vs Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI), one of the most common questions asked in our Cloud Trainings ( 1Z0-932, DBA to Cloud DBA & EBS (R12) on Cloud (OCI)).
As you probably know, Cloud has three Service Models: IaaS, PaaS, and SaaS (If you are new to Cloud and would like to know more about these Service Models then I highly recommend you to watch my previous live at https://k21academy.com/cloudlive01 ).
Note: Oracle has offerings in all three Service Models and both OCI and OCI-C are from IaaS offerings, where OCI stands for Oracle Cloud Infrastructure and OCI-C stand for Classic Version of IaaS Offering.
(OCI-C) Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Classic (Gen 1) :
- OCI-C is based on Nimbula Director, Xen based Hypervisor which provides Compute & Network (Shared & IP Networks)
- It provides only Virtual Machines (whereas OCI can also provide Bare Metal)
- OCI-C formerly OPC announced at Oracle Open World (OOW) 2014, was renamed to OCI -C at OOW 2017
- It can be deployed as a) Elastic Compute b) Dedicated Compute c) Sparc Model 300
- As of March 2018, OCI-C is available in NAC, EMEA, APAC.
What’s not Available in OCI -C
- Availability Domain (AD) (To know more about Availablity Domin Click here)
- Compartment (To know more about Compartments Click here)
- Virtual Cloud Network (VCN) (To know more about Virtual Cloud Network (VCN) Click here)
- Oracle Bare Metal (BM) (To know more about Bare Metal (BM) Click here)
Note: Oracle has depreciated OCI -C and it is available only for old customers now.
Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI) Gen 2:
- Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI) like OCI-C is also IaaS offering that provides Compute, Network but as Virtual Cloud Network, Availability Domain and additionally Edge Services like Email, DNS, Load Balancer etc (more on Edge Services little later)
- OCI announced in OOW 2017 is re-branding of Bare Metal Cloud Service (BMCS)
- Oracle OCI provides both Bare Metal & Virtual Machines (whereas OCI-C provides only Virtual Machine) [Updated on 15th Mar, Thanks Manjunath for pointing out typo]
- The hypervisor in VM option of OCI is based on KVM (whereas on OCI-C this is Xen based Hypervisor)
- Bring Your Own Hypervisor (BYOH) only available in OCI.
When to Use What
- Cloud@Cusotmer is a subscription-based service where both Hardware & Cloud Software is on Customer Premises, this option as of March 2018 is only available on OCI-C. (To know more about Cloud at Customer (C@C) Click here)
- Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI) now has more regions currently compared to OCI -C. (To know more on Region in Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI) Click here)
- High-Performance Compute (HPC), Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning (ML) is available only on OCI (as of Mar 2018)
- EBS (R12) & Database both are supported on both OCI & OCI Classic so you can use either
Note: As Oracle has depreciated OCI -C and its only available for old Cloud Customer, I would recommend you to go with Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI).
Join my FREE Masterclass Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Architect [1Z0-932] WHAT, WHY & HOW TO LEARN.
- Follow Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI): Region, AD, FD, Tenancy, Compartment, VCN, IAM, Storage Service etc.
- Cloud Service Models (SaaS, PaaS, IaaS)
- 12 Point Checklist for DBA for Beginner to Expert Cloud DBA (Facebook Live)
- If you are confused to pick Amazon AWS or Oracle Cloud then check this
- To check tasks performed by DBAs in Cloud here
- To check tasks performed by Apps DBAs in Cloud here
- [Video 3 of 5] Oracle Cloud: Create VCN, Subnet, Firewall (Security List), IGW, DRG: Step By Step
Next Task For You
- Download the Step-By-Step Activity Guide to Register for an Oracle Cloud Trial Account.
Begin your journey towards becoming an Oracle Cloud Architect by Joining the FREE Masterclass on How To Become Oracle Cloud Architect in 8 Weeks.
Click on the below image to join our FREE Telegram Group.