If you are a DBA/Apps DBA planning to learn Database on Oracle Cloud or someone already working on Cloud wanting to have a high-level overview of Oracle Database options available on Oracle Cloud, then this blog post is for you.
Here are the 9 things every beginner should know to build, manage and migrate databases to Oracle Cloud:
1) The very first thing you should know before starting your Cloud journey is the Cloud Service Models i.e. SaaS, PaaS & Iaas. As a DBA, you will work on PaaS & Iaas. To know about Cloud Service Models, check Here.
2) IaaS in Oracle Cloud is available in two flavors: OCI & OCI-C. As a Cloud DBA, you work to manage Database on OCI. Cloud at Customer (C@C) is currently using OCI-C and is slowly transitioning to OCI.
3) In OCI, there are two categories for the Database: User-Managed & Autonomous Database.
4) Autonomous Database: Oracle Cloud Infrastructure‘s Autonomous Database is fully managed by Oracle such as patching and another administrating task. Autonomous Database is further divided into types:
- ADW: ADW stands for Autonomous Data Warehouse and used for decision support or data warehouse workload.
- ATP: ATP stands for Autonomous Transaction Processing and used for a transactional workload.
There are two models to deploy these Autonomous Databases i.e., Serverless and Dedicated
5) In the User-Managed Database, there are three deployment models: VM DB System, BM DB System, and the Exadata DB System.
To know more about these different type databases, check our previous post, Oracle Cloud Database Options (VMDB, BMDB, ExaCS, ExaCS & Autonomous (ADW, ATP), Here
6) Database Editions Supported In OCI
All 1- node RAC DB systems support the following Oracle Database editions:
- Standard Edition
- Enterprise Edition
- Enterprise Edition – High Performance
- Enterprise Edition – Extreme Performance (required for 2-node RAC DB systems)
Note: RAC is only supported in VM DB System & Bare Metal DB System
7) For the User-Managed Database, you will be performing the following tasks:
- Configuring DB systems on OCI.
- Managing DB system (Start, Stop Scale-Up/Down) & DBCLI.
- Patching DB system using Console & CLI.
- Configuring & Monitoring a DB on OCI.
- Backing up and Recovering a DB on OCI.
- Configuring Data Guard For HA
- Migrating (Lift & Shift) On-prem Database to Cloud (OCI). To know more about Migration, check Here.
8) For the Autonomous Database, the task you will perform includes:
- Provisioning ADW.
- Connecting DB with Application.
- Migrating from On-Prem to Cloud.
- Performance Tuning & Monitoring.
- Loading Data into the Autonomous Database. To know more, check Here.
- Configuring Reporting & Analytics.
- Backup & Restoring ADW & ATP.
- Scale-Up & Scale-Down.
9) Currently, there are 3 certifications available for Database on Cloud:
- For Autonomous Database, [1Z0-931] Oracle Autonomous Database Cloud Certified Specialist.
- For Database 0n OCI, [1Z0-998] Oracle Database Cloud Service Certification.
- For Database on OCI-C, [1Z0-160] Oracle Database Cloud Service Certification.
- Database On Oracle Cloud (OCI): User-Managed and Autonomous Database
- OCI for DBAs & Apps DBAs: Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI) Why Should You Learn & In What Order
- [Video] Oracle Exadata Cloud Service (ExaCS): Overview for Beginners
- Role of Oracle DBA in Cloud: Transition from DBA to Cloud DBA
- Amazon AWS or Oracle Cloud (Confused ?): Right Choice for DBA’s
- [Video] Oracle Cloud Database Options (VMDB, BMDB, ExaCS, ExaCS & Autonomous (ADW, ATP)
- How To Create Database on Oracle’s Gen2 Cloud (OCI)
Next Task For You
We cover all this in detail in our DBA to Oracle Cloud DBA Training program. To Know, what to expect in our training, Register for our FREE Masterclass on “Upgrade From DBA To Oracle Cloud DBA Including Certification & Earn More In 2020″