Oracle recently launched a cloud migration utility named Zero Downtime Migration (ZDM), that will help you in migrating your On-Prem Oracle Database to Oracle Cloud Database (VM DB, ExaCS, Bare Metal, Exadata Cloud at Customer) with the aim of keeping the migration process as simple as possible and minimal downtime on production workloads.
This blog post covers the thing you must know to leverage the ZDM utility while migrating your On-Prem database to Oracle Cloud (OCI)
- To know more about other migration methodology for your Databases in Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI), check here.
- To know more about different databases options available in Oracle Cloud Infrastructure, check here
Overview: Zero Downtime Migration Utility (ZDM)
- Oracle Zero Downtime Migration (ZDM) is Oracle Maximum Availability Architecture (MAA) recommended utility to migrate Oracle Databases to the Oracle Cloud.
- It helps to keep migration of the process as simple as possible and aims to have minimal downtime on production workloads.
- The source databases can be On-Premises or on Oracle Public Cloud Gen 1 (OCI-C). To know the difference between OCI & OCI-C check here,
- The target databases can be deployed as Database Cloud Service on Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI) Bare Metal, Virtual Machine, Exadata Cloud Service, or Exadata Cloud at Customer. To know more check here
- It automates the complete process of migration & reduces human errors.
1).Supported Platforms for the Zero Downtime Migration Service Source Host
- Oracle Linux 7 or later releases.
2).Supported Database Versions for Migration:
Note: the source & target Database version should be the same
3).Supported Database Architectures for Migration
- Oracle Database Single-Instance to a Single-instance or Oracle RAC database target
- Oracle RAC One Node, which can be migrated to an Oracle RAC database target
- Oracle RAC to an Oracle RAC database target
4). Supported Backup Locations
ZDM supports On-Premises databases to be migrated to:
- Oracle Database Cloud Service Bare Metal
- Oracle Database Cloud Service Virtual Machine
- Exadata Cloud Service
- Exadata Cloud at Customer
To know more about each of these databases, check here.
High-Level Database Migration Workflow Using ZDM
- Download & Install ZDM On Source Host (Check here).
- ZDM Starts performing DB Migration (./zdmcli migrate database).
- ZDM Connects the Source Database To Oracle Cloud (OCI) Object storage.
- ZDM orchestrates transfer of all database backup files from the source/primary database to the Object Storage.
- ZDM starts creating a Data Guard Standby Database using the backup files that were transferred to the object storage.
- ZDM sets up Oracle Net Services connectivity between the source and target and completes setting up the Data Guard configuration.
- ZDM performs a Data Guard switchover which results in a source database to become the standby database & the target database in the Oracle Cloud to assume the role of the primary database.
- ZDM completes the migration process & terminates Data Guard connectivity between the source & the target, and performs necessary cleanup.
I hope you find this blog useful in understanding ZDM and its migration flow. All these things have been in a more detailed way in our DBA To Cloud DBA Training,
- MAA Practices for Cloud Migration Using ZDM (Doc ID 2562063.1)
- Download ZDM
- Installing Zero Downtime Migration Software
- Migrating Your Database with Zero Downtime Migration
- Zero Data Loss Recovery Appliance (ZDLRA)
- Oracle Database Migration To Cloud (Lift & Shift): Overview & Methodology
Next Task for You
We cover ZDM in detail in our DBA to Oracle Cloud DBA Training program.
To Know About How to upgrade From DBA To Cloud DBA and Which Cloud Certification Useful for DBAs & Earn More by Registering for our FREE Masterclass.