This post is the First video of a Multi-Part Video Series on “Oracle Autonomous Database Cloud for DBAs & APPS DBAs”.
This post also helps you to clear Autonomous Database Certification 1Z0931, In this post, I will be covering Overview of Autonomous Database, Types of Autonomous database (Autonomous data warehouse & Autonomous Transaction Processing) and Autonomous offering as Serverless & Dedicated Infrastructure.
Note: To know more about Oracle Autonomous Database Cloud Certified Specialist [1Z0931] Click on the link https://k21academy.com/1z093111
Note: This post is part of Video series of Roles and Responsibility or Tasks of DBA, if you haven’t seen my previous post then click on the link to watch the previous video post-https://k21academy.com/clouddba12
What is Autonomous Database
Oracle Autonomous Database is a combination of Exadata with database and Infrastructure Automation running on Oracle Gen 2 Cloud i.e Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI).
It is a Cloud database that uses machine learning to automate database tuning, security, backups, updates, and other routine management tasks traditionally performed by database administrators (DBAs). It is self-driving, self-securing, self-repairing database service.
Why Autonomous Database is beneficial to you?
- By using Autonomous database maximum database uptime, performance, and security―including automatic patches and fixes.
- Machine learning to automate database elimination of manual, error-prone management tasks through automation.
- It reduced costs and improved productivity by automating routine tasks.
- Automatic backup supported in Autonomous database so nor data loss.
Note: To know more about backup of database click here https://k21academy.com/clouddba57
Types of Autonomous Database
When you configure the database system on the basis of workload, Oracle Autonomous Database is categorized into two types as Autonomous Data Warehouse (ADW) and Autonomous Transaction Processing (ATP)
1. Autonomous Data Warehouse (ADW)
Autonomous Data Warehouse is a fully managed database tuned and optimized for data warehouse workloads with the market-leading performance of Oracle Database. It is Easy, Fast and Elastic scaling of compute and storage, without downtime.
Autonomous Data Warehouse uses the same Oracle Database software and technology that runs your existing on-premises workloads.
For more details information on Autonomous Data warehouse (ADW) click here https://k21academy.com/clouddba31
2. Autonomous Transaction Processing (ATP)
The Autonomous Transaction Processing (ATP) workload type configures the database for a transactional workload, with a bias towards high volumes of random data access. eg: Transactions, Batch, Reporting, Machine Learning etc.
Autonomous Deployment Options:
Oracle Autonomous Database offers two deployment options Serverless or Dedicated.
1. Serverless Oracle Autonomous DB is Ultra-Simple and Elastic. In Serverless you don’t know where is the Exadata server present this means you don’t own the infrastructure.
With this option, you simply select what type of database you want (Data Warehouse or Transaction Processing), which region in the Oracle Cloud you want the database deployed, and the base compute and storage resources and then Oracle automatically takes care of everything for you.
2. Autonomous Database Dedicated is Customizable Private Cloud in Public Cloud. You can customize the software update/patching policy etc.
With Autonomous Database Dedicated, you get your own Exadata infrastructure in the Oracle Cloud also you can simply specify the size, region and availability domain where you want your dedicated Exadata infrastructure provisioned.
Stay tuned for my next blog in which I’ll be covering Autonomous Database for WHO & WHY?
How To Provision Database on Oracle Cloud
1) Register & Log into the Oracle Cloud account, cloud.oracle.com.
Note: First, you should have an Account at Oracle Cloud and if you don’t have one, then you can register FREE using my step-by-step video & guide. You can get it by visiting https://k21academy.com/cloud01.
2) Click on the hamburger menu, and Under ‘Database’, you will get the option to provision DB.
For Autonomous Database, click on ‘Autonomous (ADW & ATP),’ & the other two for User-managed database Bare Metal, VM & Exadata
Note: To know further step to provision Autonomous database click here http://k21academy.com/clouddba31
Note: To know how to provision VMDB system click here https://k21academy.com/clouddba41
- Know more about Oracle Autonomous Database Cloud Certified Specialist [1Z0931] certification
- Create Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse
- How to Connect to an Autonomous Database on Oracle Cloud
- Provision User-managed database
Next Task for You
You can start learning Oracle Cloud for DBA by registering for our FREE Masterclass. By Clicking the image below.