This post covers how to create your first Autonomous Data Warehouse on Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI)
In this post, we have covered the recent update on Oracle Cloud and already creating a buzz on Cloud technology which is “Autonomous Data Warehouse Cloud Service 18c ” on Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI)
As Oracle Cloud keep updating their cloud services and making enhancements on every service they provide, so we thought of writing this post and make you guys keep updated about the changes and Enhancement that Oracle does.
Note: OCI is offering from of IaaS Service model (other 2 Cloud Service models are SaaS & PaaS), where OCI is re-branding of Bare Metal Cloud Service (BMCS).
Create Your First Autonomous Data Warehouse 18c on OCI
In this video, Oracle ACE Atul Kumar has covered how to create your first Autonomous Data Warehouse on Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI), whereas OCI is the 2nd generation of Oracle Cloud & OCI-C is the first generation.
Before deep dive into Autonomous Data Warehouse Cloud Service 18c, let us understand the basics.
The database is divided into two types, which is:
OLTP (On-line Transaction Processing): is characterized by a large number of short online transactions (INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE). The main emphasis for OLTP systems is put on very fast query processing, maintaining data integrity in multi-access environments and effectiveness measured by a number of transactions per second. In OLTP database there is detailed and current data, and schema used to store transactional databases is the entity model.
OLAP (On-line Analytical Processing | Data Warehouse ): is characterized by a relatively low volume of transactions. Queries are often very complex and involve aggregations. For OLAP systems a response time is an effectiveness measure. OLAP applications are widely used by Data Mining techniques. In the OLAP database there is aggregated, historical data, stored in multi-dimensional schemas (usually star schema).
Now the Question arises is, What is Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse (ADWC)?
Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse Cloud uses applied machine learning to self-tune and automatically optimizes performance while the database is running. It is built on the next generation Oracle Autonomous Database technology using artificial intelligence to deliver unprecedented reliability, performance, and highly elastic data management to enable data warehouse deployment in seconds.
Architecture of Modern Cloud Data Warehousing
Things good to know about Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse 18c
- ADWC: Autonomous Data Warehouse Cloud Service, fully managed pre-configured data warehousing environment
- ADWC Supports
- Structured Query Language (SQL)
- Business Intelligence Tools (BI)
- ADWC is a PaaS offering and built on Top of Oracle Database 18c
- ADWC till recently was available on OCI-C, from JUN18 it’s also available on OCI
- ADWC is elastic, meaning you start with CPU Count & Storage and at any point in time scaleup or scale-down
Why Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse?
- A fully autonomous database capable of self-patching, self-tuning, upgrading itself while the system is running, eliminating manual human error-prone processing.
- Based on the next generation cloud database platform using artificial intelligence including machine learning to deliver adaptive caching and indexing all powered by the Oracle Exadata engineered infrastructure.
- Oracle customers have fine-grained control of pre-configured compute and storage resources allowing for independent scaleup and down to avoid overpaying for expensive, unused, fixed blocks of cloud resources.
- Built-in machine learning technology eliminates manual configuration errors to ensure reliability. In addition, unlimited concurrent access combined with advanced clustering technology enables businesses to grow data stores without any downtime.
Another but very Obvious question, which will come across to your mind is, Since it is autonomous, Does it is going to steal the Jobs for DBAs?
The answer is no, below are the reason which will definitely clear all your doubts.
With Autonomous, you DON’T
- You don’t need Database Administration (But you still need an admin, check task below)
- No backups required (backup is done automatically)
- No Patching or Upgrade Required (done automatically by Oracle)
- Growing or Shrinking is NOT required
- Doesn’t require any tuning like parallelism, indexing, or compression
With ADWC, you still need
- Provision ADWC Instance
- Start/Stop Service, Load Data in ADWC and run queries
- Secure ADWC like who can see which instance & what they can do (Compartment, Roles, Login, Passwords)
- Grant access to Users, BI Tools
If you are just starting out in Cloud then I highly recommend you to go through these posts first
- Cloud for Beginners (Facebook Live): SaaS | PaaS | IaaS and which one is right for DBAs
- 12 Point Checklist for DBA for Beginner to Expert Cloud DBA (Facebook Live)
- If you are confused to pick Amazon AWS or Oracle Cloud then check this
- Check tasks performed by Oracle DBAs in Cloud here
- Database On Oracle Cloud (OCI): User-Managed and Autonomous Database
- Autonomous Data Warehouse Cloud
- White Paper on Oracle Autonomous DataWarehouse Cloud
Next Task For You:
- If you don’t have an Oracle Cloud Public Account, then create one by using the Step-by-Step Activity Guide Here. (Register For Free)
- Build Your First Autonomous Database on OCI using the Steps Here.
- Follow Oracle Autonomous Database Cloud Certification [1Z0-931]: Step-by-Step Activity Guides To Clear The Exam
- If you want to take your career to the next level by becoming Oracle Autonomous Database Cloud Specialist even if you are a beginner, then I would like to invite you to Join my FREE Masterclass on How To Be Oracle Autonomous Database Cloud Specialist [1Z0-931] In 7 Weeks.Click on the image below to register for Free MasterClass.
Click on the below image to join FREE Community group.