This post covers the first & most important things you should know before starting your cloud journey ie. What is Cloud Computing?, characteristics of Cloud Computing and Cloud Service Models.
In the below video, I have started with the basics of Cloud Computing, Its characteristics, Cloud Service Models ie. SaaS, PaaS & IaaS
What is Cloud Computing?
Cloud Computing is the delivery of computing services over the internet. Where computing services include Storage, Server, Application, Networking, Database, etc. Cloud computing provides a simple way to access servers, storage, databases and a broad set of application services over the Internet. A cloud services platform such as Oracle, Amazon, Microsoft Web Services owns and maintains the network-connected hardware required for these applications services, while you provision and use what you need via a web application.
Next Question which I generally get from my Students is, as we are already managing things on managed based services ie. on-premise then why we need to adopt or choose cloud computing.
Characteristics of Cloud Computing
- Multi-Tenant: Multi-tenancy is an architecture in which a single instance of a software application serves multiple customers. Each customer is called a tenant.
- Self-Sevice: Self-service cloud computing is a form of private cloud service where the customer provisions storage and launches applications without going through an external cloud service provider. With a self-service cloud, users access a web-based portal, where they can request or configure servers and launch applications.
- Elastic (Scale-Up | Scale-Down): Elasticity is the ability to grow or shrink infrastructure resources dynamically as needed to adapt to workload changes in an autonomic manner, maximizing the use of resources. This can result in savings in infrastructure costs overall
- Web-Based: It means you can access your resources via Web-Based applications.
- Automated: Most of the things in Cloud is automated, and human intervention is less.
- Pay As You Go Model: It means you only have to pay when you utilizing the cloud resources.
- Modern Web-Based Integration: It allows you to configure multiple application programs to share data in the cloud. In a network that incorporates cloud integration, diverse applications communicate either directly or through third-party software.
Various Cloud Vendors
Cloud Computing Service Models
- Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS): Contains the basic building blocks for cloud, IT and typically provide access to networking features, computers (virtual or on dedicated hardware), and data storage space.
- Platform as a Service (PaaS): It removes the need for your organization to manage the underlying infrastructure (usually hardware and operating systems) and allows you to focus on the deployment and management of your applications.
- Software as a Service (SaaS): Provides you with a completed product that is run and managed by the service provider. In most cases, people referring to Software as a Service are referring to end-user applications.
Which Cloud Service Model To Learn?
One of the most common questions which I get from my students is which Cloud service Model should I learn?
So, If you are DBA, Apps DBA, System Administrator you should learn both which is IaaS (Infrastructure as a Service) and PaaS (Platform as a Service). The reason is that whatever you building or deploying is over Infrastructure as a Service ie. PaaS always runs on top of IaaS that’s the reason you should have the knowledge of both.
If you are working as a consultant such as a financial consultant or working on a packaged application such as HRMS, SAP etc you should learn SaaS (Software as a Service)
Next Task For You
- 7 Days FREE Trial to Start Your Oracle Cloud Journey
- Role of DBA in Cloud
- Amazon AWS or Oracle Cloud (Confused ?): Right Choice for DBA’s
- Role of Oracle Apps DBA in Cloud
Click on the below image to join our FREE Telegram Group.