This post covers high-level Oracle E-Business Suite installation steps and is one of the Lessons from our Oracle Apps DBA (R12.2) Training.
If you have not yet gone through my video on Architecture of Oracle Apps DBA R12.2 then I suggest look at Architecture in Oracle E-Business Suite R12.2 for Apps DBAs here
This blog is the second part of the series “Oracle Apps DBA (R12.2)”
I will cover the basic installation steps of the E-Business Suite. If you are using Unix/Linux environment, then start the installation with root user even though EBS apps tier and DB tier will be owned by non-root users but start installation using the root user and if you are using Windows environment, start installation using the user having Administration rights.
Check this FREE video from Oracle ACE, Author and Oracle Apps Expert Atul Kumar below
In the blog, we will look at the basic EBS R12.2 Installation concepts and requirements.
EBS Installation Key Points
- Rapid Install is used to install Oracle E-Business Suite R12.2
- Rapid Install uses a wizard that guides through screens to install EBS both Express or Standard
- Installation is done from Staging Area (software downloaded and unzipped in specific format)
- Check StartCD version before Installation
High-Level Installation Points EBS R12
For the installation, below are the points you need to follow:
- Download Software from eDelivery
- Create a Staging Area using buildStage.sh
- Install Pre-Requites
- Memory, CPU, Disk Space
- Install EBS 12.2.0 using rapidwiz
- Upgrade Database to 220.127.116.11 minimum (if used startCD48)
- Apply latest AD & TXK patches
- Apply patch 12.2.x (12.2.4, 12.2.5 or 12.2.6)
Before doing the installation of Oracle E-Business Suite (EBS) R12 you need to check what all Packages are required, to know more check here
EBS Installation Options
Install Type can be
Install User type can be
- Single User
Install Type can be
- Single Node
- Multi Node
Database Type can be
- Fresh Database
- Vision Database
Operating System can be
- Linux x86-64
- Oracle Solaris SPARC 64
- HP-UX Itanium
- Microsoft Windows x64
- IBM AIX Power Systems 64
To know what all operating system is certified with Oracle E-Business Suite(EBS) R12, check here
R12 Installation Phases
Starting the Installer
In order to start the installation, navigate to <staging_area>/startCD/Disk1/rapidwiz and then run the executable rapidwiz to start the installer. After that, it will show the below screens.
1. Global System settings
On this screen, It will ask for the Port Pool that is the set of default base values for each type of port or service. Select from 0 to 99 and if you select zero, you will get the default port numbers. In R12.2, you need to specify 2 port pool, One is for patch edition and the second is for run time edition.
2. Database node configuration
On this screen, you select what type of database you would like this EBS to- Vision Demo Database or Fresh database and other database details like database SID, Database Hostname, Domain name,Database Operating system, Database OS User/Groups, Database Base Directory, Home directory etc. In R12.2 , you get new option to select RAC database during installation on this screen.
3. Select Licensing Type
Next, it will ask for Licensing type if you are using Fresh Database.
4. Primary Application node configuration
Now, it will show screen for Application node configuration, similar to the database tier. You specify the primary host and domain,Operating System, Apps OS User/Group,Apps Base Directory and Instance directory, File System (FS1, FS2 and FS_NE) base and instance directory, Services for apps tier etc on this screen.
5. Application User Information
On this screen, you specify the passwords (for Weblogic users, apps tier OS User, database user).From R12.2, you can change the default passwords at the time of configuration.
6. Node Information
By default, you have Database node and Primary Apps node on this screen. If you want to do Multinode installation then you can add node here on this screen and you can specify as many nodes as you want.
7. System Checks
After that, it will do system checks to see all pre-requisites are completed successfully or not.
8. Installing Oracle E-Business Suite
Then finally, installation will start progressing.
9. Validate Completed Installation
Once installation completes, you should have all the checks are validated and ensure everything is working.
Our Training for Apps DBAs consists of 14 modules and each Module has around 3-12 Lessons. If you are new to Oracle E-Business, then visit our previous video on Architecture of Oracle E-Business Suite R12.2.
- Recommended Browsers for Oracle E-Business Suite Release 12 [Doc ID 389422.1]
- Oracle E-Business Suite Release 12.2 Information Center (Doc ID 1581299.1)
- Oracle E-Business Suite Release 12.2.9 Readme (Doc ID 2495027.1)
- Oracle E-Business Suite 12.2.9 Now Available
- [Troubleshooting] Forms Issue: FRM-92050 failed to connect to server:forms/servlet
- Oracle E-Business Suite (EBS) 12.2.9 Now Available & Its Upgrade Steps
- Steps to download Oracle E-Business Suite R12 Software
- Oracle AppsDBA (R12.2) Training: Step by Step Activity Guides/Hands-On Lab Exercise
- Oracle AppsDBA (R12.2): Install | Patch | Clone | Maintain
Next Task For You
Begin your journey towards becoming an Apps DBA by joining our FREE Masterclass on How To Become an Oracle Apps DBA (R12) & Earn A Lot More In 2020.