This post covers the Types of Oracle Cloud Accounts. As we are seeing people getting confused between different types of Oracle Cloud Account, so we thought of writing this blog and clear their doubts.
When you sign in to your Oracle Cloud account, you have access to two different types of cloud accounts: traditional cloud accounts (also known as cloud service accounts) and cloud accounts with Oracle Identity Cloud Service.
Most Oracle Cloud services are designed to run in an Oracle Cloud account with Oracle Identity Cloud Service. This means that the service uses Oracle Identity Cloud Service to manage users and to control access to the service. However, some Oracle Cloud services still rely on Oracle Identity and Access Management for the same purposes.
If you sign up for Oracle’s Free Credit Promotion or a new paid Oracle Cloud account, then you will likely have access to both types of cloud accounts.
There are two ways to switch between the different accounts:
- Use a URL to sign in to each type of account. This URL is in the welcome email you receive when you sign up for Oracle Cloud.
- Use the Identity Domain drop-down menu in the My Services dashboard. Note that there are restrictions when you switch between cloud accounts using this option.
A list of the services that require you to have a traditional cloud account is in the second email you receive when services are provisioned in your cloud account.
The table below summarizes the differences in the dashboard view and service access when you switch accounts.
|Cloud Account with Identity Cloud Service||Traditional Cloud Account (Identity Domain)|
|View all services in this account and the traditional account.||View services in this account only, not the ones in the Cloud Account with Identity Cloud Service.|
|Limited access to the services in the traditional account. You must switch to traditional account to create service instances.||No access to services in Cloud Account with Identity Cloud Service.|
To learn more and earn higher or upgrade your skills then check out our DBA to Cloud DBA course and Build, Manage & Migrate (Lift & Shift) EBS (R12) on Cloud Expert course
If you are totally new to Oracle Cloud or EBS R12 on Cloud then follow these basic cloud concepts in my previous show or blog post
- Check my first Live show on Facebook covering Cloud Service Models (IaaS, PaaS & SaaS) here
- Once you are clear with Service Models then check Live show on Facebook covering Oracle EBS (R12) on Cloud an Architects perspective here
- You’ll also like my 15 Must Know things for Apps DBA’s starting on Cloud
- For Cloud Migration check Amit’s post on 10 Things to consider before migrating EBS R12 on Cloud
- For Oracle Database Migration to Cloud, check video from Lesson 1 of our DBA to Cloud DBA in 6 Weeks Training covering Oracle Database Cloud Migration to Cloud Overview & Methodology here
- Cloud Training for Oracle Apps DBAs Build, Manage & Migrate (Lift & Shift) EBS (R12) on Cloud: Expert and Step by Step Activity Guide You Must Perform to Learn EBS (R12) On Cloud