This post covers the Concurrent Manager issue, reported by one of our trainee from Oracle AppsDBA Training.
If you are new to Oracle AppsDBA then I would suggest you look at our post on Concurrent Managers: Overview & Concepts Oracle EBS R12 for Apps DBAs and Troubleshoot/Debug Long Running Concurrent Request in Oracle EBS (R12/11i)
Issue: Concurrent Manager was not coming up after bouncing all servers.
Status of most of the managers was “System Hold, Fix Manager before resetting counters”.
Select “Internal Concurrent Manager” and click on Fix button.
For other managers like “Output Post Processor”, “Standard Manager”, there was Activate button as shown in the screenshot.
Cause: An orderly shutdown of the concurrent manager was not performed. The CP Diagnostic Request Analyzer” shows that a CP Shutdown was initiated on 16-OCT-12 at 22:22:41 and then canceled.
Yet, the database alert log file shows that the database was shut down within four seconds of the concurrent managers being shutdown/ canceled, not providing enough time to perform an orderly shutdown of the concurrent processing server.
1. Shutdown the Concurrent Processing (CP) server in an orderly manner and verify that the shutdown complete before invoking a shutdown of the database and/or the database listener. Check the last CP process to exit/terminate, the Internal Manager, with the Unix command: ps -ef | grep FNDLIBR
If a manual shutdown is being performed, use the same sequence found in the adstpall.sh – “Stop All Oracle E-Business Suite Enabled Services” script: first the CP Server–once down–shut down the App Listener, the Forms Server, the Web (Apache) Server. Lastly, if necessary, shut down the database listener and/or database.
Note 1: The startup is the same but in reverse order. In this case, a complete bounce of all servers (apps/DB tier) restored a normal manager status/state.
2. In the event that the CP server was not shut down properly, please run the Concurrent Manager Recovery feature to address any Concurrent Manager / Concurrent Processing issues within the Oracle Application Manager. In some cases, it may be necessary to bounce the database.
Note 2: Shutting down the database or the listeners without an orderly shutdown of the Concurrent Processing server is equivalent of pulling the power cord on a Unix box. 999 times out of 1000, the Unix system will recover without any incident; however, at some point, file/disk corruption or an odd state will occur; similarly, the same applies to the CP server, manager queue, and process state information may not be current or correct.
Note 3: The Concurrent Manager Recovery was created by CP Development. It is a helpful for re-initializing the managers, particularly when a manager’s normal operation may have been compromised by manual intervention by a DBA or System Administrator (by manual killing of OS / RDBMS processes) or due to unplanned system outages (an accidental closing of the database without doing an orderly shutdown of the concurrent managers, power/network outages, etc).
1. Go to the Concurrent Manager Administer screen >
2. Please click the “Fixed” button and restart the concurrent manager.
- Manager Status Shows System Hold, Fix Manager before resetting counters (Doc ID 1507580.1)
- R12 E-Business Suite Concurrent Processing Managers Including OPP, Workflow Agent, and Workflow Listener Show Status “System Hold, Fix Manager before resetting counters” (Doc ID 2330129.1)
If you are new to Oracle AppsDBA or already working as Apps DBA but on version 11i or R12.1 then I suggest you first go through below FREE videos from Oracle ACE, Author, and Oracle Apps Expert Atul Kumar
- [Video] Oracle Apps DBA (R12.2) Architecture
- [Video] Oracle Apps DBA (R12.2) Installation: FREE Training
- [Video] File System in Oracle E-Business Suite R12.2: Dual, APPL_TOP, INST_TOP, COMMON_TOP, FMW_HOME
- [Video] Oracle Apps DBA (R12.2) Services: Start/Stop
- [Video] Oracle Apps DBA (R12.2) Patching (ADOP): FREE Training
This post is from our Oracle Apps DBA (R12.2) Training, in which we cover Architecture & Changes in Oracle E-Business Suite R12.2, Staging & Installation, File System & Important Files in R12.2, Start/Stop, Patching, AD Administration, Cloning, Concurrent Managers, AutoConfig, Password Management and Troubleshooting and much more and also check our post Oracle AppsDBA (R12.2) Training : Step by Step Activity Guides /Hands-On Lab Exercise
Next task for you
Did You Start Your Apps DBA Journey yet? NO!
So Your Next Task is, Join FREE Webinar on Get Started With Oracle Apps DBA R12.2 To Stay Ahead In Career & Earn More. Click on the image below to register for FREE.
Are you having any queries or hitting any issues in R12.2 Concurrent Manager (CM)?