In this blog, I am going to show what are the advantages of HDL (HCM Data Loader) for HCM data integration, and how data is loaded in HCM with HCM Data Loader.
If you are new to Oracle Integration Cloud (OIC), then check our previous blogs contain all the key points that a beginner should know about Oracle Integration Cloud (OIC), creating Oracle Integration Instance and Consoles walkthrough.
HCM Data Loader (HDL)
Oracle Provides a few tools for HCM integration. For inbound integrations, you have 3 tools like the HCM Spreadsheet Data Loader, HCM Data Loader, and Payroll Batch Loader. On the outbound side, you have tools like Query Export, OTBI & BI Publisher, and HCM Extract.
Inbound Integration Support within Oracle HCM
For Loading Data into HCM Cloud
HCM Spreadsheet Data Loader can be used to load most of the objects that are supported by HCM Data Loader. However few components, such as Person Image and Document Record Attachment, that don’t provide user keys can not be loaded. Objects from the spreadsheet are loaded to the HCM Data Loader stage tables. HCM Spreadsheet Data Loader can be located in the Data Exchange work area.
HCM Data Loader HDL is the next generation Data Loading Tool used in Fusion Applications designed for bulk loading and data Migration. HDL is also used for maintenance of HCM data, and scenarios, where a set of data supplied together in either compressed data (.dat) files or a spreadsheet is uploaded regularly.
Payroll Batch Loader supports the creation of several payroll objects, including Element, Element Entry, External Bank Account, and Payroll Definition. With Payroll Batch Loader, you also have the capability to update or delete several of the supported objects. Payroll Batch Loader can be located in the Data Exchange, Payroll Administration, and Checklist work areas.
Also read: SOAP Vs REST API In Oracle Integration Cloud (OIC)
Advantages Of HCM Data Loader (HDL)
- HDL has the capability to access most of the Business Objects.
- Support for Partial and Incremental data loading. (no need to create record fully)
- If your HCM instance is configured with flex fields or user-defined fields, then you are capable of load values in those fields.
- Comprehensive bulk loading capabilities.
- User-managed loading or Automated using Web services this allows the tool to be fully autonomous and without user-initiated data load.
- Images/Documents can be loaded with records so that the system can associate them.
- Bulk loading of HCM data from any source.
- Flexible, pipe-delimited file format.
- Stage Table Maintenance.
- Capability to track and monitor in real-time.
- Ability to set the number of threads that are driving a process.
Also read: Oracle OIC Services 1Z0-1042 Training: Step By Step Activity Guides/Hands-On Lab Exercise
Oracle HCM Cloud can be implemented either in full or coexistence mode.
In coexistence implementation, Oracle Fusion Talent Management or Oracle Fusion Compensation, with your existing HR applications.
For both full and coexistence implementations, you implement Oracle HCM Cloud by performing the tasks that appear in your implementation project or for selected functional areas.
If you’re performing a full implementation of Oracle HCM Cloud, then you can use HCM Data Loader to bulk-load any existing HCM data at appropriate stages in the implementation. Typically, you load each type of data once only for this type of implementation. Following successful upload, you manage your data in Oracle HCM Cloud.
In a coexistence implementation, you use either Oracle Fusion Talent Management or Oracle Fusion Compensation, although maintaining existing HR applications.
For Coexistence implementation, you need to:
- Move the talent data permanently to Oracle HCM Cloud, making it the application of record for talent data.
- Periodically upload other types of data, like personal records to Oracle HCM Cloud. The source system remains the application of record for this data.
How Data Is Loaded With HCM Data Loader
High-level steps on how bulk data is loaded using HCM Data Loader HDL.
- A user creates the zip file containing .dat files that are going to be uploaded.
- Submit a request to HCM Data Loader for importing and load the .zip file. (HCM Data Loader interface or the HcmCommonDataLoader web service can be chosen for this step)
- After Loading HCM Data Loader decompresses the .zip file and imports individual data lines to its stage table. (An intermediate table to which records are loaded from a spreadsheet or file and where some validation occurs.)
- In the stage tables, related data lines are grouped to form business objects.
- If there are any errors while importing, it will report those to you on the monitoring screen.
- If there were any errors in the import phase you need to correct them in your source data and submit the new .zip file to the WebCenter Content server.
- HCM Data Loader calls the relevant logical object interface method (delivered in product services) to load valid objects to the application tables.
- If there are any errors while loading, it will report those to you on the monitoring screen.
- If there were any errors in the loading phase you correct them in your source data and submit the new .zip file to the WebCenter Content server.
- The system will validate the syntax, the system will move on to validate the data within the file.
- After the data has been validated, the system will load the data into your application tables.
Note: If you want to enhance your knowledge and become a certified Oracle Cloud Platform Application Integration 2020 Specialist then check on the blog on certification exam [1Z0-1042-20].
We Cover Oracle Integration Cloud OIC in our course where you will learn to Provisioning | Connectors | Troubleshooting | Customer Case Study | Security & Monitoring.
- Oracle Integration Cloud (OIC) For Beginners Overview
- 6 Docs Every Oracle Cloud Integrator Must Read
- Oracle Integration Cloud (OIC) Instance Edition, Message Pricing, and License Types
- Oracle Cloud Documentation Links: OIC | SOA-CS | OCI
- Oracle Integration Cloud (OIC) Notification Activity
- Our best blogs for Oracle Integration Cloud – OIC
Next Task For you
Begin your journey towards becoming an Oracle [1Z0-1042] Certified Cloud Integration Expert by joining our FREE Masterclass.
Click on the below image to Register for the FREE MASTERCLASS Now!