In this 5 Minute Tech Tip, I am going to look at “Pricing Model for Oracle Database Cloud service (DBCS) or Database as a service (DBaaS) as this is one of the most common questions being asked in our Oracle Database Cloud Administration Training.
If you look at pricing sheet for Database as a Service (DBaaS) from Oracle Database Cloud Service (DBCS) you may find quite confusing especially with so many options like Metered Service, Virtual Image, High-Memory Compute, Per Month or Per Hour or various Product Options.
So I created a quick Video on How does Pricing Model look like for Database as a Service (DBaaS).
As shown in Video, after Scrolling down on Database Cloud Service Pricing Page , You can see Metered Services (metered services are those where you pay on hourly or monthly basis), Virtual Image, Non-Metered Services (Non-Metered services are those where you can buy year long contract or two years or five year contract) and Non-metered Virtual Image.
For Database as a Service (DBaaS), you get two options a) DBaaS with Tools for Patching & Cloning and b) Virtual Image with just database binaries (Price under Virtual Image is for this option)
Under these options, you also have General Purpose Compute and High-Memory Compute and then also have Standard Package, Enterprise Package, High-Performance Package and Extreme Performance Package (These are Editions on Database providing various features like RAC, Dataguard, In-Memory Database, Compression etc ) and other lots of options.
Understanding pricing becomes much easier when you create the Database (where you will get these options).
1. On Create Service page for the database, In dropdown Menu of Service Level, you see two options as shown in Video:
- Oracle Database Cloud Service: In this option, you will get all the tools to manage the database. Database instances are created for you using configuration options provided in this wizard. Additional cloud tooling is available for backup, recovery, and patching. You also get full VM access on which this Database Service is running
- Oracle Database Cloud Service-Virtual Image: In this Option, you will get a Virtual image with just a database binary that you will unzip and install. No additional cloud tooling is available.
So Oracle Database cloud service is going to be a little bit more expensive because of all the benefits of tooling.
2. In Metering Frequency option, you have options Hourly and Monthly so you can select whether you will be charged on an hourly basis or monthly basis.
3. In Software Edition option, you have four options:
- Standard Edition
- Enterprise Edition
- Enterprise Edition-High Performance
- Enterprise Edition-Extreme Performance
4. On next page, you will get the option to select Compute Shape so the higher memory footprint you select for your database cloud service, the higher expensive it is.
So as shown in our Video, pricing Model is not complex if you understand all the options available for the database cloud service.
Did You Find this Video useful?
What more topics you want to see as part of 5 Minute Tech Tips on Oracle Cloud?
Leave a Comment.
- Download our Step By Step Guide to Create Oracle Cloud Account and Create Your first Oracle Database on Cloud. If you need any help then post comments below