This post covers Module II for Cloud Service Certification 1Z0-160 for DBAs covering Database Cloud Service (DBCS) Deployments.
If you have not yet seen the first module on this Oracle Cloud Certification 1Z0-160 covering Cloud Concepts & Offerings i.e.
- Service Models (SaaS, PaaS, IaaS)
- Service Levels in DBCS (DBaaS, Schema Service, Exadata Cloud Service)
- DBCS Architecture
Click Here to check Module I, if not seen already
Deploying Database on Cloud
1. Deploying Database on Cloud in Automated Service Level in DBaaS (Database as a Service) involves: You select set of configuration for Oracle Database on Cloud like Compute Shape (CPU & Memory), SSH Keys (for connecting), Database Release (12c or 11g), Database Edition (SE, EE, HP, EP), Database Type (Single Node, RAC, Standby etc), Backup Configuration etc and DBaaS/DBCS will automatically create database (and Linux virtual machine) for you.
What is DBCS & DBaaS ?
2. DBCS stands for Database Cloud Service and generic term for running Database on Oracle Cloud and has three main offerings
- Schema as a Service: You get a Schema that you can access using REST Endpoint and backup and restore.
- DBaaS: Database as a Service: You get database with complete access including root on Linux
- Exadata Cloud Service: Exadata Database in Cloud
Note: Above Image is from Module I of our Oracle Cloud Certification Training Program 1Z0-160
3. When you deploy Database in DBaaS Offering, you get two Service Levels
- The Oracle Database Cloud Service – Virtual Image: In this option, you get a dedicated Linux VM with Oracle Database Software Pre-Installed. You must configure Database using DBCA (Database Configuration Assistant) and you get no cloud database tools (like DBaaSCLI or Automated Patching or Backup & Recovery Tools)
- The Oracle Database Cloud Service (aka Automated) In this option, you get a dedicated Linux VM and Oracle Database is installed automatically using values provided during Database Deployment. You get cloud database tools ( like DBaaSCLI, bkup_cli, orec for Recovery, Automated Patching, and DBaaS Monitor)
Note: As of Jan 2018, you don’t get an option for Virtual Image but for Cloud Certification 1Z0-160, this is still applicable (Expect 1-2 questions around Service Levels in DBaaS/DBCS)
Options Deploying Database on Cloud
4. For billing, you can pick either Metered (Hourly/Monthly: PAYG) or Unmetered Billing (Monthly with 1/2/3 Years Contract). More on Billing in Oracle Cloud check my previous post here
(Note: Expect few questions around Billing in DBaaS/DBCS)
5. As of Jan 2018, you can create 11gR2, 12c R1 and 12c R2 software release.
Note: From Oracle Cloud Certification (1Z0-160) Exam point of view, 12c R2 is not yet certified (In actual 12cR2 is available on Cloud now in Jan 2018)
6. When deploying Oracle Database on Oracle DBCS, you can select one of the four Database Software Editions
- Standard Edition (SE)
- Enterprise Edition (EP)
- Enterprise Edition – High Performance (HP)
- Enterprise Edition – Extreme Performance (EP)
Note: More on High Performance (HP) & Extreme Performance (EP) Software Editions in Database Cloud Service in my previous post here
7. Depending on type of Software Edition selected, you can create database of type
- Single Instance Instance
- Database Cluster with RAC
- Single Instance with Dataguard Standby
- Database Clustering with RAC and Data Guard Standby
- Data Guard Standby for Hybrid DR
Note: Database with RAC & Data Guard Standby for Hybrid DR are not supported on Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI) as of Jan 2018
Note: Expect few questions related to these Deployment Options in Certification Exam 1Z0-160
OCI vs OCI Classic
What’s Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI) or Compute?
OCI or Compute is IaaS (CPU & Memory) offering from Oracle formerly Oracle Bare Metal Cloud Service (BMCS).
What’s Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI) Classic or Compute Classic?
Oracle’s original IaaS (other at that time was Bare Metal Cloud Service i.e. Compute – CPU & Memory) is now called as Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Classic (or OCI Classic).
(Join Waitlist Here, for Founding Members Discount and First one to know when we open Cloud Certification Training Program)
Compute Shape & Storage
9. Compute includes CPU & Memory, and when you deploy database on OCI Classic there is a) General Purpose and b) High Memory
- General Purpose Compute database in OCI Classic includes OC3 (1 OCPU & 7.5 GB RAM), OC4 (2 OCPU & 15 GB RAM), OC5 (4 OCPU & 30 GB RAM), OC6 (8 OCPU & 60 GB RAM), OC7 (16 OCPU & 120 GB RAM)
- High Compute database in OCI Classic includes OC1M (1 OCPU & 15 GB RAM), OC2M (2 OCPU & 30 GB RAM), OC3M (4 OCPU & 60 GB RAM), OC4M (8 OCPU & 120 GB RAM), OC5M (16 OCPU & 240 GB RAM)
- A database in OCI includes VM.Standard1.1 (1 OCPU, 7 GB RAM), VM.Standard1.2 (2 OCPU, 14 GB RAM), VM.Standard1.4 (4 OCPU, 28 GB RAM), VM.Standard1.8 (8 OCPU, 56 GB RAM), VM.Standard1.16 (16 OCPU, 112 GB RAM), VM.Standard1.32 (32 OCPU, 256 GB RAM)
Note: Expect few questions related to Compute Share in Certification Exam 1Z0-160*
10. During Database deployment, you choose an amount of usable data storage you want for your Oracle Database
Note: As of Jan 2018, you can create database of size 1200 GB with backup to Cloud & local storage or 2048 GB with Backup to Cloud Storage or No Backups
11. Scale-Up is the process of increasing Compute (CPU & Memory) or Storage after database deployment.
12. In OCI Classic, you can scale disk up to 4.7 TB with backup to Cloud & local storage or 10TB with Backup to Cloud Storage or No Backups
13. In OCI, you can scale disk up to 19 TB with backup to Cloud & local storage or 48TB with Backup to Cloud Storage or No Backups
Note: In Oracle Cloud Certification Exam, you’ll get few questions related to Scale-Up. (Join Waitlist Here, for the First one to know when we open program and Early Bird Discount, only for 72 Hours)
14. At the time of Database Deployment in DBCS, you can configure No Backups or Automatic Backup. If selected Backups then backup destination can be a) Local Storage or B) Both to Cloud & Local Storage
Note: 30 Days worth backups are kept and 7 days on local storage b) Cloud Storage = 30 Days
Note: You’ll get few questions around backup in Cloud Certification 1Z0-160 so more on Backup & Recovery in upcoming posts
Have You Start Your Journey for Oracle Cloud Services DBCS Certification[1Z0-160]?
NO! Not YET!
So, Begin with Downloading your Guide, “FREE Exam Questions For Oracle Database Cloud Service [1Z0-160]”.
Click on the image below, & find out the question that may hold you back in clearing DBCS[1Z0-160] Certification…