This post covers the latest changes in one of the services in Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI) which is Block Volume.
If you don’t know What is Block Volume is, then I would highly recommend you to check our previous post on Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI) | Storage Object, Block | File Storage, Data Transfer Service|
Earlier if we want to resize the storage during Cloning (Block volume) or want to increase the size of volume we have to go to multi-step process and do it, but now it’s one click and you have to give size and all done !!!!!. Here 3 aspects are covered where the resizing option will help. You can resize boot or block volume in the same way.
Block Volumes Resizing
Now when you create the Block volume you will see one more tab names “Resize”
Means we can change the size of the Block Volume after creating it and this will be in-place resize.
Few points to keep in mind
- This will not be done if the Block volume is in use means you need to detach it first and then perform. No need to worry, if attached this resize tab will be disabled. Either boot volume or block volume, it will be Offline resizing.
- You cannot decrease the size (not less than current size), so this is scaled up operation only. So this operation is basically expanding an existing volume in place with offline resizing.
Backup restore resizing
- Next is if you are creating a block volume using the backup you can resize it and while creating volume.
- Here too we can give the size higher than the current size of the Block volume. Once created then we can attach the same to Compute instances.
Block Volume Clone Resizing
- Now when you do Block Volume clone you will see the extra parameter mentioned which is of size. as shown below.
- This means that we can change the size of the target volume we are creating. This will save a lot of time. As a best practice don’t forget to take the backup before doing resizing.
This post is from our Course “Oracle Cloud IaaS – Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI) Architect” with 1 Years On-Job Support and 1 year Unlimited FREE Retakes (If you need to know more about this program then reach out to our team at firstname.lastname@example.org )
If you are just a beginner to Oracle cloud, then check our below posts to start your journey:
- 7 Days FREE Trial to Start Your Oracle Cloud Journey
- [Video]: Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI) | Storage Object, Block | File Storage, Data Transfer Service
- [Video] Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI) Compute CPU & Memory
- Amazon AWS or Oracle Cloud (Confused ?): Right Choice for DBA’s
- Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI) Architect (1z0-932)Training
- Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI) Architect: Certification Exam 1Z0-932: Step by Step Activity Guides To Clear Exam
- Download our Step By Step Guide to Create Oracle Cloud Account and Create Your first Oracle Database or PaaS Offerings on Cloud
- Did You Start Your Oracle Cloud Journey? NO!
So Your Next Tasks is, Join FREE Masterclass on How To Become Oracle Certified Cloud Architect [1Z0-932] in 8 Weeks. Click on the image below to register for FREE
Click on the below image to join our FREE Telegram Group.