This blog post is the first blog of Topic 1: Cloud Concepts in the Microsoft Azure Fundamentals Certification Series(AZ-900)
In this blog post, we’ll see what is cloud computing and what are the benefits of cloud computing.
Cloud computing is the On-demand availability of computing services including servers, storage, databases, networking, software, analytics, and intelligence, over the Internet. Cloud computing offers faster innovation, flexible resources, and economies of scale. You typically pay only for cloud services you use, helping lower your operating costs, run your infrastructure more efficiently and scale as your business needs change.
What are the benefits of cloud computing?
- Cost-effective. Cloud computing provides a pay-as-you-go or consumption-based pricing model. You only pay for the resources that you use.
- Scalable. You can increase or decrease the resources and services being used based on the demand or workload.
There are two types of scalability –
- Vertical scaling or scaling up is the process of adding resources to increase the power of an existing server.
- Horizontal scaling or scaling out is the process of adding more servers that function together as one unit.
- Elastic. A cloud computing system can automatically adjust by adding or removing resources as your workload changes.
- Reliable. Cloud computing providers offer data backup, fault tolerance, disaster recovery, and data replication services to make sure your data is always safe.
Data Recovery is the ability to recover the data, in case there is data loss or data corruption.
Fault Tolerance is the ability of the cloud services to function and be available to the user, despite any failures.
- Global. Cloud providers have redundant data centers located in various regions all over the globe. This gives you a local presence close to your customers to give them the best response time possible and low latency(quick access) no matter where in the world they are.
- Secure. Cloud providers offer secure policies, technologies, and controls, ultimately providing protection for data, apps, and infrastructure from potential threats.
- Fast & Self-serviced. Vast amounts of computing resources can be provisioned in minutes, with just a few mouse clicks as per your demand.
- High Performance. The data centers are regularly upgraded to the latest generation of fast and efficient computing hardware to give you high performance.
Here are a few sample questions from the Microsoft Azure Fundamentals Certification Exam[AZ-900] that you should be able to solve after reading this blog.
Q.1 Your company hosts an accounting application named App1 that is used by all the customers of the company. App1 has low usage during the first three weeks of each month and very high usage during the last week of each month.
Which benefit of Azure Cloud Services supports cost management for this type of usage pattern?
- high availability
- high latency
- load balancing
Correct Answer: C
Explanation: The elasticity of the cloud service would be able to automatically adjust the resources as per the need of the client.
Q.2 DRAG DROP: Match the Azure Cloud Services benefit to the correct description.
Instructions: To answer, drag the appropriate benefit from the column on the left to its description on the right. Each benefit may be used once, more than once, or not at all.
NOTE: Each correct match is worth one point.
- [AZ-900] Microsoft Azure Certification Fundamental Exam: Everything You Must Know
- Learn how to create a Free Microsoft Azure Trial Account
Next Task For You
Begin your journey towards Azure, Getting [AZ-900] Microsoft Azure Fundamentals certified, and earning a lot more in 2020 by joining our FREE Masterclass.