Being a cloud architect, it is our responsibility to configure applications for Disaster Recovery & Business Continuity. We should know how to migrate our application or database easily from one region of Oracle Cloud Infrastructure to another. This can be easily achieved using the new feature of Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Block Volume which allows copying Block Volume backup Across Regions.
If you want to know more about the Regions in Oracle Cloud Infrastructure, please check our previous post on Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI) (Region, AD, FD, Tenancy, Compartment, VCN, IAM, Storage Service)
To know more about Block Volume & various other storage options in Oracle Cloud Infrastructure, then check my previous post on Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI) )Storage Object, Block | File Storage, Data Transfer Service
Copying Block Volume Across Region
Copying block volume across region feature enables you to move your backup of block volume from one region to another within your tenancy.
The feature is provided at zero additional costs to the Oracle Cloud Infrastructure customers. It is only available on the Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Console, API, CLI, SDK, and Terraform. If you aren’t aware, we manage Oracle Cloud Infrastructure resources such as compute, storage, databases, network, etc via OCI Console, Rest API, various SDK, or DevOps tool like Terraform.
- So far, it is not possible to copy boot volume across regions. However, we can expect this feature in the future updates.
- This feature allows only one backup at a time.
Steps To Copy a Backup Across Regions:
1. Under the Block Storage section in OCI Console, go to block volume backups in the appropriate compartment.
2. Click on the hamburger menu (…) and select the backup you want to copy to another region using the Copy to Another Region option.
3. Specify the name and the target region for the backup, and click on the Copy Block Volume Backup.
4. Click on “OK” to confirm the backup copy settings.
5. From the Console, go to the target region where you have copied the backup. Verify that the backup is available there.
Now, you can restore the required backup at the target destination by creating a new volume from the backup.
And that is how we can copy our block volume from one region to another region within the tenant.
If you are preparing for Oracle Cloud Architect Exam [1Z0-932], you can expect questions based on this feature to move block volume backup across regions. Check out some questions that might show up in the OCI Architect 1Z0-932 Exam. To get your FREE Copy of 20+ Questions for the 1Z0-932 Exam, please Click Here.
- [FREE Masterclass] of 60-90 minute on Learn How To Go From Complete Beginner To Oracle Certified Cloud (OCI-IAAS) Architect
- Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI) )Storage Object, Block | File Storage, Data Transfer Service
- Oracle Cloud Infrastructure: Steps to Resize a Volume [Block/Boot]
- Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI) Architect (1z0-932)Live Training
- Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI) Architect(1z0-932) Self-Paced Training
- Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI) Architect: Certification Exam 1Z0-932: Step by Step Activity Guides To Clear Exam
Do You Know?
Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Architect Exam (1Z0-932) consists of 70 Questions and you need to 68%, of the questions correct to get certified as an Oracle Cloud Architect.
So, if you have any queries or want to polish your learning for Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Architect Basics, then join our FREE Masterclass on How To Become Oracle Certified Cloud Architect [1Z0-932] in 8 weeks?. So, start preparing today to qualify the Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Architect Exam-(1Z0-932) Certification.