Previously it was not possible to get the compartments back which were deleted in Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI). With the recent update, now you can restore your deleted compartment.
A compartment is a logical container, to organize and control access to the Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI) Resources (Compute instances, Databases, Block Volumes and Virtual Cloud Networks (VCNs)) created within that compartment and you impose some policies(restrictions on access to the resources) to that compartment.
- To know more about Compartment and Policy in Oracle Cloud (OCI) click here.
Note: Oracle displays the deleted compartments in the compartment list for the number of days specified in your Audit Retention Period setting(90-365 days).
Restoring the Deleted Compartments
Steps to restore the deleted compartments.
- Open the navigation menu. Under Governance and Administration, go to Identity and click Compartments. A list of the compartments in your tenancy is displayed.
- In State, select Deleted.
- For the compartment, you want to recover, click the Actions icon (three dots), and then click Restore.
- At the prompt, click OK.
Note: The name of the compartment which you want to restore will be different in the compartment list because it was appended with a string of characters at the time of deletion and the restored compartment name will be the same as the name of compartment after deletion.
Eg: democompartment — > democompartment.Oz5Iy0s2 — > democompartment.Oz5Iy0s2
(before deletion) (after deletion) (after restoring)
Note: All policies refer to the deleted compartment will be now pointed to restored compartment name.
It was not possible to restore the compartments in OCI which were deleted by mistake but with the new update in oracle, it is possible to restore the deleted compartments. I have covered the steps to restore the deleted compartments in this blog and hope that it will help you to understand the whole process. If you find it helpful then share it with your friends.
- Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI): Region, AD, Tenancy, Compartment, VCN, IAM, Storage Service
- Compartments and policy in OCI
- Managing Compartments
- Unable To Create a Policy Under a Compartment
- Q/A OCI Day 2: IAM (Compartments, Policies, Users, Groups)
Begin Your Cloud Journey
Begin your journey towards becoming an Oracle Cloud Certified Architect Associate by joining the FREE Masterclass on “How To Become Oracle Certified Cloud Architect Associate in 8 Weeks”.