Oracle Unified Directory (OUD) is Oracle’s recommend LDAP server for any new or bigger (millions of users) written in Java.
This post covers FREE video on OUD Installation & Configuration but first What is OUD Used for ?
OUD is used to store users/password and Group Information and is used as LDAP . Unlike OID, OUD doesn’t need any Oracle Database to sore users.
Quiz: Where does OUD store user details then (answer under comment)
What is ODSM ? Oracle Directory Service Manager (ODSM) is Java Application that provides GUI to manage OUD, OID and OVD
High Level Steps: Install & Configure OUD/ODSM
- Install OUD Software
- Configure OUD
- Install WebLogic Server 11gR1 (for ODSM)
- Install Application Development Runtime (ADR) required for ODSM
- Configure WebLogic Domain and select ODSM Template
Note: Make sure OUD, WebLogic & ADR are installed in same Middleware Home (Oracle Base for OUD)
In our Oracle Unified Directory Administration Training We cover OUD & ODSM Install & Configure in detail in five lesson Module II (OUD Training consists of VIII Modules in total).
Here is Video from lessons III covering OUD Install & Configure Hands-On
Installation: To install OUD, navigate to the directory where OUD software is unzipped and run below command:
./runInslaller -jreLoc <JAVA_PATH>
It will start the installer and will create oraInventory as shown in video so if at any point, installation fails then you have to look at this oraInventory. Further it will show the below screens.
- Welcome: First screen will be Welcome page so click Next on that.
- Install Software Updates:If there any update happens, should it automatically download from My Oracle Support or not. We say Skip here in video as we don’t want software to be automatically downloaded from Oracle Support. We will manually download if we need to apply any patch so Click Next.
- Prerequisite Checks:It will show the prerequisites checks. If any of these fails then you need to fix the problem and click on retry. Once all the checks complete successfully, Click Next.
- Specify Installation Location:Select OUD Base Location Home and Oracle Home Directory here and click Next.
- Installation summary: On this page, Confirm the directory Details, Disk Space and Applications and then click Install.
- Installation Progress: It will show the installation status and log file location created while installation. Click Next after 100% completion.
- Installation Complete: On this screen, verify installation details and click Finish.
Now this completes OUD Installation so lets proceed with Configuration steps.
Configuration: To start the configuration, navigate to installed OUD $ORACLE_HOME and run below command. By default it will create an OUD instance and will show the location of this instance.
Note: Before starting OUD setup, Make sure Correct JAVA_HOME should be set.
- Welcome: On Welcome Page, Click Next.
- Server Settings: Provide the details to configure OUD directory Server here Like Host Name, LDAP Listener Port, Administration Port, Root User DN, Password etc and Click Next.
- Topology Options: Here you can configure the Topology whether you want Replication or stand alone server. Select your option and click Next.
- Directory Data: You can create a Directory base here and also can import Data if want else create just base entry as shown in video. Click Next.
- Oracle Components Integration: This Step is for integration purpose. You can integrate OUD wih DIP or EBS or EUS as per your requirement or you can select No specific integration. Click Next.
- Server Tuning:On this screen, provide the memory to be used by OUD server and click Next.
- Review: Here review the configuration and click Finish.
- Progress:This screen will show the Configuration process and log file location for OUD configuration.
- Finished:This screen will come once OUD setup completed.
This completes OUD Installation & Configuration.
Interested in shaping your Identity Management career with K21 Academy by learning Oracle Unified Directory (OUD) then check https://k21academy.com/oud/
Here at K21 Academy, you get theoretical knowledge along with nearly real time experience from our 12-15 years Oracle Experts, Live Online in class keeping in mind, you get your return on Investment.
Get my FREE OUD Interview questions guide : https://k21academy.com/free-guide-oud ( Click on button Yes! Send Me Guide , enter your Name & eMail , We’ll eMail this guide at email ID provided by you )
Did you find this video on OUD useful ?
Do you have any queries about OUD ?
Post under comments below for instant reply or feedback so we can post more FREE videos like above.