This post gives you insight about Various Database Offering available in Oracle Cloud Infrastructure. If you are new to Cloud, then I would highly recommend checking our previous blog post on Cloud Service Model
Note: OCI is offering a form of IaaS Service model (other 2 Cloud Service models are SaaS & PaaS), where OCI is re-branding of Bare Metal Cloud Service (BMCS).
Introduction To Database Service In OCI
In Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI) Oracle Offers autonomous and User-Managed Oracle Database solutions. Autonomous databases are preconfigured, fully-managed environments that support Datawarehouse & OLTP workload.
To know more about Autonomous Database please check our previous blog on Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse Cloud Service 18c Now on OCI
User-Managed solutions are bare metal, virtual machine, and Exadata DB systems in which you can customize the resources as per your requirement.
Note: In Autonomous Database you only have the access at Database Level
User-Managed Database Choices in OCI
User managed DB System is further available into two options & you can choose them based on your workload & requirement. They are:
Exadata DB System: Exadata DB systems allow you to grip the power of Exadata on Oracle Cloud Infrastructure. An Exadata DB system consists of a quarter rack, half rack, or full rack of compute nodes and storage servers, tied together by a high-speed, low-latency InfiniBand network and intelligent Exadata software. You can configure automatic backups, optimize for different workloads, and scale up the system to meet increased demands.
Subscription Types: The subscription option available for Exadata DB systems is the Monthly Flex purchase model under Universal Credit Pricing. Whenever you Provision Exadata DB system, you have been charged for the infrastructure for the first month, and then by the hour after that. Each OCPU you add to the system is billed by the hour from the time you add it.
Bare Metal and Virtual Machine DB Systems: In Oracle Cloud Infrastructure we can have 1-node DB systems on either bare metal or virtual machines, and 2-node RAC DB systems on virtual machines.
Supported Database Editions & Versions On OCI
All 1- node RAC DB systems support the following Oracle Database editions:
- Standard Edition
- Enterprise Edition
- Enterprise Edition – High Performance
- Enterprise Edition – Extreme Performance (required for 2-node RAC DB systems)
The supported database versions are:
- Oracle Database 18c Release 1 (18.1)
- Oracle Database 12c Release 2 (12.2)
- Oracle Database 12c Release 1 (12.1)
- Oracle Database 11g Release 2 (11.2)
Note: In Exadata, all the database remains same except 18c Database as it supports Oracle Database 18c Release 1 (18.0) version.
When to opt for Exadata DB system & Bare Metal 0r Virtual Machine DB System?
Quiz Based on Database Service on OCI
Q). For what business need should you use Database Cloud Service (DBCS) instead of an Oracle database on a compute instance?
- To bring your own license on a compute service
- To lower license and Infrastructure cost
- To build an Oracle database on a compute service
- to implement Oracle RAC for high availability
Now it’s your turn to post your answers in the comment section and let us know where you are facing challenges in Oracle Cloud Infrastructure
This post is from our Course “Oracle Cloud IaaS – Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI) Architect” with 1 Years On-Job Support and 1 year Unlimited FREE Retakes (If you need to know more about this program then reach out to our team at firstname.lastname@example.org )
If you are just a beginner to Oracle cloud, then check our below posts to start your journey:
- 7 Days FREE Trial to Start Your Oracle Cloud Journey
- [Video]: Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI) | Storage Object, Block | File Storage, Data Transfer Service
- [Video] Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI) Compute CPU & Memory
- Amazon AWS or Oracle Cloud (Confused ?): Right Choice for DBA’s
- Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI) Architect (1z0-932)Live Training
- Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI) Architect(1z0-932) Self-Paced Training
- Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI) Architect: Certification Exam 1Z0-932: Step by Step Activity Guides To Clear Exam
- Overview of the Database Service
- So Your Next Tasks is, Join FREE Webinar on Beginner to Oracle Certified Cloud (OCI) Architect: What, Why & How. Click on the image below to register for FREE