Everything is moving towards containers these days, and in the IT world, you should not fall behind in adopting new technologies like Kubernetes. Kubernetes, as you all know an open-source tool, had the fastest growth in job searches, rising 173% from a year before. So, the Certified Kubernetes Application Developer (CKAD) certification will for sure take your career to a whole new level.
In this blog, we discuss in detail the following topics:
- What is the Certified Kubernetes Application Developer (CKAD) exam?
- Pre-requisites for Certified Kubernetes Application Developer exam
- Certified Kubernetes Application Developer Certification Benefits
- CKAD Basic Exam Details
- CKAD Exam Topics
- CKAD Learning Path
- Exam Retake Policy
- Who is this certification for?
What Is The Certified Kubernetes Application Developer (CKAD) exam?
The Certified Kubernetes Application Developer (CKAD) certification is designed to guarantee that certification holders have the knowledge, skills, and capability to design, configure, and expose cloud-native applications for Kubernetes and also perform the responsibilities of Kubernetes application developers. Hence, it also assures that the Kubernetes Application Developer can use core primitives to build, monitor, and troubleshoot scalable applications in Kubernetes.
Pre-requisites For CKAD Exam ^
It is a bit surprising but really there are no prerequisites for taking the Certified Kubernetes Application Developer exam. Although experience in software development will be an add-on. There is no experience in Docker or container required either!
CKAD Certification Benefits ^
- Kubernetes is one of the most sought after skills that companies need in today’s world since almost every company is converting their legacy applications into cloud-native apps or building new apps that are cloud-native.
- Kubernetes is the only option of a container orchestration framework available in the market other than the Docker swarm. So, this is the right time for anyone to take this exam and get certified.
- The companies are looking for certified Kubernetes developers, as the majority of them are moving their application towards containers.
Since the Kubernetes is quite new in the industry, there is a huge market gap for certified professionals.
CKAD Exam Basics ^
- Certification Name: Certified Kubernetes Application Developer
- Prerequisites: There are no prerequisites needed apart from the software development experience.
- Number of questions: 19 questions
- Exam Duration: 2 hours
- Passing score: 66% or above
- Exam Cost: $300
If you want to apply for CKAD, click here
Learning Path for CKAD ^
CKAD Exam Topics ^
The CKAD exam curriculum includes the following general domains and their weightage on the :
1) Core Concepts – 13%
- Understand Kubernetes API primitives
- Create and configure basic Pods
2) Configuration – 18%
- Understand ConfigMaps
- Understand SecurityContexts
- Define an application’s resource requirements
- Create & consume Secrets
- Understand ServiceAccounts
3) Multi-Container Pods – 10%
- Understand Multi-Container Pod design patterns (e .g. ambassador, adapter, sidecar
- Create and configure basic Pods
4) Observability – 18%
- Understand LivenessProbes and ReadinessProbes
- Understand container logging
- Understand how to monitor applications in Kubernetes
- Understand debugging in Kubernetes
5) Pod Design – 20%
- Understand Deployments and how to perform rolling updates
- Understand Deployments and how to perform rollbacks
- Understand Jobs and CronJobs
- Understand how to use Labels, Selectors, and Annotations
6) Services & Networking – 13%
- Understand Services
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of network policies
- Understand PersistentVolumeClaims for storage
If you want to know more about Kubernetes Architecture and Components click here
Exam Retake Policy ^
The Cloud Native Computing Foundation offers one (1) free retake per exam purchase in the event that a passing score is not achieved and the candidate has not otherwise been deemed ineligible for certification or retake.
Who Is This Certification For? ^
If there is a doubt in your mind that if this certification is right for you, well here is the answer to that,
- For candidates who are interested in software development.
- People who are interested in containers.
- Engineers who have some experience of development.
- Candidates having an idea about Kubernetes.
- Those who are looking for new career-changing opportunities.
- For those who are looking for adapting to new technologies.
If you feel you are the one for Certified Kubernetes Administrator role, please visit our blog on CKA
Related / References:
- Visit our YouTube channel on “Docker & Kubernetes”
- [Video] Containers (Docker) & Kubernetes In Azure For Beginners
- Docker & Certified Kubernetes Administrator (CKA) Training
- Certified Kubernetes Administrator (CKA) Certification Exam
- (CKA) Certification: Step By Step Activity Guides/Hands-On Lab Exercise & Learning Path
- (CKAD) Certification: Step By Step Activity Guides/Hands-On Lab Exercise & Learning Path
- Frequently Asked Questions on CKA & CKAD
Next task for you
Begin your journey towards becoming a Certified Kubernetes Application Developer [CKAD] and earning a lot more in 2020 by joining our FREE CLASS