If you do brisk research on the internet, you will quickly notice a lot of posts from people on cracking the CKA and the CKAD exams. Why are these exams hyped so much? Let us do a comparison of CKA vs CKAD. Well, Some people might feel that they need a whole lot of resources and even so much time to prepare for this exam, On the contrary, you can successfully clear both exams within a month as long as you have adequate study materials.
This blog covers why are these exams hyped so much and what is the reason behind it and what are the common topics and also the contrasting features between CKA and CKAD. If you are still wondering what are these, CKA is a Certified Kubernetes Administrator and CKAD is a Certified Kubernetes Application Developer.
Most of the individuals who like to get these certifications would be wanting to stay ahead in the technology and not fall behind but also because of the huge market-gap in the industry! So, what are you still waiting for?!
What Is CKA? ^
As mentioned earlier, CKA is the ‘Certified Kubernetes Administrator’ exam which focuses on testing the knowledge and skills of a candidate in the field of all aspects of Kubernetes cluster concepts. The CKA exam focuses on managing and operating the Kubernetes cluster, including the troubleshooting part. So, on a higher note, we can say that it involves everything from creating, managing, and troubleshooting a cluster.
Now, after September 2020 CNCF has reduced the course curriculum and has decreased the duration to 2 hours.
To know more, visit CKA: Everything You need to Know
What Is CKAD? ^
CKAD is the ‘Certified Kubernetes Application Developer’ exam which tests the skills of a candidate in the application development in the field of Kubernetes. Thus, the focus of CKAD is on managing and deploying applications to the Kubernetes cluster. It emphasizes only on the topics required for application development, deployment, and management. This is a new certification that is being provided by the CNCF.
To know more, visit CKAD: Everything you need to know
Also read: How to install docker on Windows, Ubuntu and MAC
CKA v/s CKAD ^
The common things:
The certifications surely do complement each other, and which one you can/should aim for will depend on your role and especially how you use Kubernetes.
- The Kubernetes Core Concepts which is present in both of these exams is a must, as this is the foundation of everything else that is there to come.
- Both CKA & CKAD have the same topics in the aspects of Services & Networking as both are indeed needed for a developer as well as an administrator.
- As Storage is concerned, both these exams State Persistance topics which are also quite important in one’s role.
- The most important aspect of Kubernetes certification is Cluster creation & Configuration, hence both these exams relay on this topic the most.
- One can even open an additional tab with documentation located on kubernetes.io and github.com/kubernetes during these exams.
- The topics of cluster remain the same, while the CKA has a bit more of monitoring a cluster.
- The topics of pod designing are also similar in both the exams.
- Both the exam costs $300, with one free retake.
- The time duration is 2 hours for both the exams.
Things that differ:
Here are some of the main differences between the CKA & CKAD exams:
- Since a CKA’s role demands one to be familiar with all the administrative skills, it also focuses on Kubernetes internals such as etcd, tls bootstrap, and kubelet.
- The CKA exam tests a candidate more in the topic of Cluster Architecture, well CKAD tests only the Configuration of Clusters.
- As an application developer is more involved in the deployment of applications, the CKAD examines a candidate in the topics of Pod Designing & also Multi-Container Pods.
- The CKA exams also shed some light on Workloading & Scheduling, which is not a part of the CKAD exam topics.
- The biggest part of a CKA exam is the Troubleshooting section, it consists of 30% out of all the topics, which isn’t of any concern for a CKAD aspirant!
- CKAD is exclusively related to Deployment, DaemonSets, Pods, and other API primitives, we can consider it as a lightweight version of a CKA exam.
- The CKA exam focuses more on what an actual cluster administrator would do, such as actually installing/configuring a cluster, setting up networking, setting up storage, etc.
- The CKAD exam, on the other hand, is geared more towards a developer that is building their applications to be Kubernetes-friendly and consuming the cluster resources made available by the administrator.
What After CKA Certification? ^
The purpose of the Certified Kubernetes Administrator (CKA) program is to provide assurance that CKAs have the skills, knowledge, and competency to perform the responsibilities of Kubernetes administrators. There is a wide-open job market for Kubernetes professionals, so this is also one of an important aspect for all of you who are looking for a raise or to add-on more skills!
What After CKAD Certification? ^
The Certified Kubernetes Application Developer exam certifies that users can design, build, configure, and expose native cloud applications for Kubernetes.
The Certified Kubernetes Application Developer (CKAD) certification is designed to guarantee that certification holders have the knowledge, skills, and capability to design, configure, and expose cloud-native applications for Kubernetes and also perform the responsibilities of Kubernetes application developers.
Related / References:
- Visit our YouTube channel on “Docker & Kubernetes”
- [Video] Containers (Docker) & Kubernetes In Azure For Beginners
- Docker & Certified Kubernetes Administrator (CKA) Training
- Certified Kubernetes Administrator (CKA) Certification Exam
- (CKA) Certification: Step By Step Activity Guides/Hands-On Lab Exercise & Learning Path
- (CKAD) Certification: Step By Step Activity Guides/Hands-On Lab Exercise & Learning Path
- To know frequently Asked Questions on CKA & CKAD, click here
Next Task For You
Begin your journey towards becoming a Certified Kubernetes Application Developer [CKAD] and earning a lot more in 2020 by joining our FREE CLASS