In this post, we have covered the brief difference between the Hadoop Distributions i.e. Hadoop Cloudera Vs Hortonworks.
As we felt that people are getting Confused about Hadoop Cloudera & Hortonworks, Which one is better, so, we thought of writing this blog and if you go through the post completely, you will find all your doubts cleared.
If you are just starting out in BigData & Hadoop then I highly recommend you to go through these posts below, first:
- Big Data Hadoop Keypoints & Things you must know to Start learning Big Data & Hadoop, check here
- Big Data & Hadoop Overview, Concepts, Architecture, including Hadoop Distributed File System (HDFS), Check here
Cloudera vs Hortonworks
A number of vendors have come forward to build on Hadoop’s framework and make it enterprise-ready. The vendors have customized the open source code of Hadoop and bundled it together with user-friendly management tools and installers and packaged it with their own proprietary technologies, routine system updates, user training, and technical support. Among these Hadoop distributions, Cloudera and Hortonworks are the most popular ones.
Cloudera provides both open source distribution. The Cloudera Management Suite includes several sought-after features like dashboard management, wizard-based deployment, and a resource management module to simplify capacity and expansion planning.
Hortonworks is comparatively a new player in the Hadoop distribution market.
Within a short span of time, Hortonworks has emerged as one of the leading vendors of Hadoop, rapidly catching up with Cloudera. The engineers of Hortonworks are also known to be contributing to most of Hadoop’s recent innovations including Yarn.
Cloudera and Hortonworks: The Similarities
Both Hortonworks and Cloudera are built upon the same core of Apache Hadoop. Therefore, both of these distributions are bound to have more similarities than differences. Let’s take a look at some of the major similarities that Cloudera and Hortonworks share:
- Both offer enterprise-ready Hadoop distributions.
- The distributions provided by both the vendors ensure security and stability.
- Both Cloudera and Hortonworks have established communities that actively participate and help with the problems faced as well as demonstrations needed.
- As Hadoop distribution providers, both Cloudera and Hortonworks have established communities that actively participate and help with the problems faced as well as demonstrations needed.
- Both distributions have master-slave architecture.
- Both have a shared-nothing computing framework.
- Both of the vendors support MapReduce and YARN.
Cloudera vs Hortonworks – The Differences
In spite of many similarities and the same core, Cloudera and Hortonworks exhibit several differences. As we know, when it comes to choosing a vendor, differences are the ones that play a deciding role. Let’s take a look at their differentiating aspects:
- Cloudera sells commercial software on top of its open source Hadoop distribution while Hortonworks is an open source purist and offers only Apache Foundation certified software.
- Hortonworks’ business growth strategy focuses on embedding Hadoop into existing data platforms, while Cloudera takes the approach of a traditional software provider that profits from product sales and competes with other commercial software providers.
- Hortonworks does not come with any proprietary software, therefore, uses Ambari for management, Stinger for query handling, and Apache Solr for searches of data. However, Cloudera has a proprietary management software Cloudera Manager, Cloudera Search for real-time access of products, and Impala, an SQL query handling interface.
- Most importantly, Hortonworks is completely free and Cloudera provides paid services. However, it offers a free trial for 60 days.
Both Cloudera and Hortonworks are market leaders in Hadoop distributions. If Cloudera provides sophisticated paid components, Hortonworks is a purist. Both the companies are innovating the world of Hadoop and both are revolutionizing the Big Data space. Cloudera is most used in the market and if anyone learns Cloudera then they can handle Hortonworks.
Although Cloudera is the oldest player in the market, Hortonworks is rapidly catching up. So, consider all the needs of your organization, measure the pros and cons of each provider and choose your Hadoop distribution wisely.
You will get to know all of this and deep-dive into each concept related to BigData & Hadoop, once you will get enrolled in our Big Data Hadoop Administration Training
Another question, which might come to your mind, What are all the things you will get when you enrolled!!
We are glad to tell you that:
Things you will get!!
- Live Instructor-led Online Interactive Sessions
- FREE unlimited retake for next 3 Years
- FREE On-Job Support for next 3 Years
- Training Material (Presentation + Videos) with Hands-on Lab Exercises mentioned
- Recording of Live Interactive Session for Lifetime Access
- 100% Money Back Guarantee (If you attend sessions, practice and don’t get results, We’ll do full REFUND, check our Refund Policy)
If you are looking for commonly asked interview questions for Big Data Hadoop Administration then just click below and get that in your inbox or join our Private Facebook Group dedicated to Big Data Hadoop Members Only.