OCI is built on 5 pillars IAM, Networking, Compute, Storage, & Database. In this post, we are going to cover the final pillar of OCI that is Database. It is the place in Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI) to store, arrange, and manage data coming from various sources.
To know in detail about the remaining 4 pillars:
Database Options In OCI
OCI provides two types of databases based on the involvement of the users in managing the databases.
1) Autonomous Database (ADB): There are two types of ADB, Autonomous Transaction Processing (ATP) and Autonomous Data Warehouse (ADW)
- To know more about Autonomous Databases click here https://k21academy.com/1z093112
2) Co-Managed Databases: There are 3 types of co-managed Databases, VMDB, BMDB, and Exadata DB
- To know more about Co-managed databases in OCI click here https://k21academy.com/34
- Oracle Exadata Cloud Service (ExaCS): Overview for Beginners https://k21academy.com/clouddba62
- Oracle Cloud at Customers(C@C): Overview and Concept for Beginners http://k21academy.com/oci47
- Exadata Deployment Options: Cloud Service (ExaCS) vs Cloud at Customer (ExaCC) vs Exadata Machine
- To know about Exadata cloud service in detail click here https://k21academy.com/exacs12
All 1- node RAC DB systems support the following Oracle Database editions:
- Standard Edition
- Enterprise Edition
- Enterprise Edition – High Performance
- Enterprise Edition – Extreme Performance (required for 2-node RAC DB systems)
Provisioning & Connecting
We can create a database in OCI using RestAPI, CLI, DBascli, & Console.
- To know the steps to provision & connect to BM, VM & Exadata DB system click here https://k21academy.com/clouddba41
- [Video] Oracle Exadata Cloud Service (ExaCS) Networking https://k21academy.com/exacs16
- To know the steps to provision Autonomous DB system click here http://k21academy.com/clouddba31
- To know about the steps to connect to ADB created click here https://k21academy.com/clouddba49
If You haven’t registered for the free trial account yet, then you can register FREE using my step-by-step video & guide. Click here to download the guide https://k21academy.com/cloud01
Administer Database On Cloud
Database on the Oracle cloud allows you to:
- Start/Stop Databases
- Scale Up CPU & Storage
- Managing Exadata DB System
To know more Administration of Database click here http://k21academy.com/clouddba53
Patching is done for fixing a bug and improving system performance.
The 4 things you should know about Patching.
- Database Patching
- Grid Infrastructure patching
- Cloud tooling patching
- Operating systems patches
You have to apply patches to the User-Managed Databases i.e VM DB, BM DB, and Exadata Cloud Service.
Note: Patching in the Autonomous database is being taken care of by Oracle.
To know more about patching in databases click here.
Backup & Restore
There are two ways to take the backup of Databases. Backup is stored either in Object Storage or in Local NVMe Storage.
- Managed backup: Taken care by OCI
- Unmanaged backup: Backup is taken using RMAN, DBCLI, or backup_api
To know more about how to take Backup of the DB System click here http://k21academy.com/clouddba56
Migration Of Databases
We can migrate our databases from on-premise to the cloud. Oracle provides a lot of migration options like ZDM( Zero Downtime), MV2ADB (move to ADB), SQL Developer, Data-Pump, RMAN, Plug-Unplug, etc.
- Oracle Database Migration To Cloud (Lift & Shift): Overview & Methodology http://k21academy.com/clouddba26
- Zero Downtime Migration: Database To Oracle Cloud Using Hybrid Data Guard http://k21academy.com/clouddba54
- Data Loading in Autonomous Database [Migrate Database To Oracle Autonomous Database Cloud Options: Data Pump, SQL Loader, DBMS_CLOUD, GoldenGate] http://k21academy.com/1z093113
- Zero Downtime Migration In OCI: Overview & Capability http://k21academy.com/clouddba52
- Zero Downtime Migration (ZDM) Database To Oracle Cloud In 8 Steps http://k21academy.com/clouddba69
High Availability (HA) & Disaster Recovery (DR)
Real Application Cluster (RAC) provides HA. In RAC databases multiple machines running database instances are deployed across FD & AD but all instances are connected to a single database.
- What & How to Create RAC Database On Oracle Cloud (OCI) https://k21academy.com/clouddba45
- [Video] Is RAC possible on Oracle Cloud? If Yes How https://k21academy.com/clouddba13
Data Guard is used for Disaster recovery. Data Guard creates a secondary DB system in another datacenter so that in case of failover the secondary DB system becomes primary.
- To know in detail about HA & DR using RAC & Data Guard click here https://k21academy.com/cloud25
- Data Guard In Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI): Overview & Concepts https://k21academy.com/oci22
Oracle Cloud Database Certifications
- [1Z0-931] Oracle Autonomous Database Cloud Everything You Must Know About https://k21academy.com/1z093111
- [1Z0-998] Oracle Database Cloud Service Everything You Must Know About https://k21academy.com/1z099811
- [1Z0-1044] | Oracle Cloud Platform Data Management 2019 Associate https://k21academy.com/1z0104411
- DBA to Oracle Cloud DBA [1Z0-998] & [1Z0-931]: Step by Step Hands-On Guides to clear the exam http://k21academy.com/clouddba05
- Right Choice for DBA b/w Amazon AWS | Microsoft AZURE | Oracle
- Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI): Region, AD, Tenancy, Compartment, VCN, IAM, Storage Service
Next Task For You
In our OCI Architect Associate [1Z0-1072] Certification training, we cover Database in OCI in Module 7.
Begin your journey towards becoming an Oracle Cloud Architect by Joining the FREE Masterclass on How To Become Oracle Cloud Architect in 8 Weeks.