If you are like me (2-3 Years back) worried about Future of Apps DBAs in Cloud or wondering What’s next in Career or Will there be any job for Apps DBAs?
In this short video, we are going to look at Roles of Oracle Apps DBA in Cloud or better to say How the role of Apps DBAs managing Oracle E-Business Suite (R12) will change in Cloud.
Does Cloud mean No Job for Apps DBAs?
Well, answer to this question is partially correct but it depends on how you see it. If you are talking Cloud in the context of Software as a Service (SaaS) then answer is correct.
A majority of tasks in SaaS will be performed by the Software/Cloud provider like Oracle, Microsoft (for Azure) or Amazon (for AWS).
However, there is still a big market for running Oracle E-Business Suite (R12) on IaaS or IaaS+PaaS. Similarly, there are (and more in future) custom Applications deployed on PaaS offering of Cloud that need a database on Cloud.
There are a lot of PaaS applications like Java Cloud Service (JCS), SOA Cloud Service (SOA CS), Process Cloud Service (PCS) etc and those services will be going to run on PaaS or IaaS and that is where the Job of Cloud DBA/Apps DBA.
Role of Cloud Apps DBA
If you are an Apps DBA then you would like to know what roles you will be doing in the cloud or what are the new tasks you will perform. You as an Oracle Apps DBAs will do:
- Design E-Business Suite Infrastructure or things like CPU, Memory, Disk, Growth, Topology (Application Tier or Database Nodes), how many environments you need. You will still do the same thing as you were doing on-premise but this time in the context of the cloud.
- You will install & configure EBS (R12) but on the cloud, using predefined templates from Marketplace or using EBSCloud Admin Tool (Advantage of running EBS R12 on Oracle Public Cloud).
- Learn new tools like EBSCloud Admin Tool or Cloud Service Console available for Oracle Public Cloud.
- You also need to learn new skills with respect to DBCS, DBaaS, Cloud Backup Storage Service.
- You also need to learn the new way to Start/Stop Services on Cloud (Note: These are just wrappers on the old existing AD scripts)
Advanced/Expert Cloud Apps DBAs Skills
If you are like me or those who prefer to learn/master and be expert as Oracle Cloud Apps DBA
- Then the most important thing to learn is Migration (Lift and Shift), from On-Premise to Oracle Public Cloud.
- You should also be able to Configure & Manage Standby EBS Instance with Dataguard for Disaster Recovery (DR)
- It is always good to know Maximum Availability Architecture (MAA) or setting up High Availability (HA) with Oracle RAC
- The Oracle EBS Cloud Environments can be managed through existing management tools like Oracle Enterprise Manager (OEM) 13c Cloud Control
- You need to learn how to Integrate EBS on Cloud with your On-Premise applications like Printer or Identity & Access Management, SOA or any other application that is not yet moved to Cloud.
Don’t forget to watch Video above and share this with friends who may find it useful.
If you are an Oracle Apps DBA and just starting out your Journey to Oracle Public Cloud then I highly recommend downloading our FREE Guide 3 Docs every Oracle Apps DBA must read in order to Manage & Migrate Oracle EBS R12 on Oracle Cloud. Click on below link to get the Guide.