Cloud is everywhere these days, almost every Big, Medium or Small Customer I visit I see some form of Cloud Engagement be it IaaS, PaaS or SaaS.
One Question I get from Apps DBA Managers and in Our Private Facebook Group is
What Skills our Cloud DBA Team or Apps DBA Resource We are hiring should have
What all things my Apps DBA team should learn or practice so We can manage Customer’s EBS Instances running on Cloud?
After feedback from 100s of students in Cloud EBS/Apps DBA Training and managing 4 of our Oracle Cloud Customers, I re-designed my entire EBS on Cloud Training Lab/Hands-On Exercises so that they work for both Apps DBAs or someone just starting as Apps DBA to take them from Beginner to EBS on Cloud Expert.
Believe me or not, Theory & Concepts are good (for me they are building blocks) but I remember theory (or understand theory fully) only when I do a particular task myself on Servers.
This post covers Sneak Peek of Step by Step Hands-On Guides from our EBS on Cloud Training where you get to learn things like Registering on Oracle Cloud, Generating SSH Keys, Creating EBS instance on Cloud, EBS Cloud Admin Tool, Lift and Shift migration, Advanced Topics, Troubleshooting and much more.
You can use these exact steps to learn Oracle EBS (R12) on Cloud or to bring your team of Apps DBAs up-to speed quickly for supporting Customers Moving to Cloud.
Here’s the Quick Sneak Peek of What You should do for Cloud Apps DBA (These are exact guide we use for our internal team and training Oracle Apps DBAs for EBS (R12) on Cloud):
Beginner: If You Are Just Starting Out in Cloud
1. Lab Activity Guide I: Create Account and Generate SSH Keys
We start with creating an account on Oracle Cloud to Practice Creating your first Oracle E-Business Suite (R12) on Oracle Cloud. We assume that you don’t have Oracle Cloud Account and register for Cloud Access first time. In this lab activity guide, you will learn how to Register for the Oracle Cloud, Get FREE 300 USD Credit to Practice, generate SSH Keys to connect to Linux Servers on Cloud and Shop Compute (IaaS) for Application Tier & DBCS (PaaS) for Database Tier.
2. Lab Activity Guide II: Create EBS Instance on Cloud using Template
There are two ways to create Oracle EBS(R12) on Cloud
A) Using Template from Oracle Cloud Marketplace (pure IaaS)
B) Using EBS Cloud Admin Tool (IaaS or IaaS with PaaS)
In this Activity Guide, We learn how to create an Oracle E-Business Suite (R12) Fresh Database Instance on the Oracle Cloud using template available on Oracle Cloud Marketplace. This Activity guide covers:
- Creating your first EBS R12.2 on the Oracle Cloud
- Allowing Port 22 (SSH) & 8000 (EBS Web Port) to access EBS R12 from the Internet
- Connect to EBS R12 Host Using Putting
- Re-Configure EBS R12 to listen on Public DNS Address
- Access EBS R12 URL from the Internet
- Reset Default Passwords for EBS R12 on Cloud
3. Lab Activity Guide III: EBS Cloud Admin Tool
EBS Cloud Admin Tool is a utility to centrally manage, provision, lift & shift (migrate) Oracle EBS from On-premise to Cloud or back. In this Activity Guide, We setup Oracle EBS Cloud Admin Tool, Update to latest Codelevel. Below are the things that EBS Cloud Admin tool can do:
- It can provision a new EBS instance on Oracle Public Cloud, Both Elastic Cloud as well as the bare metal cloud.
- You can use it to configure an EBS instance.
- To backup an EBS instance on the cloud.
- To integrate Oracle EBS with Oracle third party software like Oracle SOA Suite, Oracle Identity, and Access Management Suite etc.
- Cloning from cloud to cloud as well as Cloning from On-premise to Cloud.
- You also use this Oracle EBS Cloud Admin utility to manage Oracle EBS environment.
4. Lab Activity Guide IV: Provision EBS Using Client Admin Tool
We then learn how to create your first Oracle EBS R12 Instance using EBS Client Admin Tool Instance.For EBS Cloud Admin utility to be able to provision EBS Database & Application Tier Host, a machine template must be registered in Cloud Account. This Activity guide covers:
- Add EBS O.S. Only from Marketplace to Oracle Cloud Account
- Create an Oracle Compute Cloud Service instance.
- Add EBS Host Only Image to Cloud Account and Update in ProvisionEBS XML file
- Get Compute & Storage REST End Points.
- Provison 3 Node EBS (R12) Instance on Oracle Cloud using EBS Cloud Admin Tool
5. Lab Activity Guide V: EBS Lift & Shift Migration
We then move to most important Guide of EBS on Cloud Training i.e EBS Lift & Shift Migration. Before to move on EBS on Cloud Lift & Shift we Cover, Pre- Requisite & Overview with Login to Oracle cloud Dashboard, EBS Cloud Admin Tool, To verify SSH Port(22) open from EBS Host to EBS Cloud Admin, and finish with to get REST endpoint for compute stage.
We then move to Configure EBS Cloud Utility (On-Premise) & Backup to cold, Download Clone Utility for Migration, Check Host file , Check PackaGes TAR, PERL. We update Clone Configuration File on Source cln.props, Initiate Utility on Source to Backup on Cloud.
Then we moved to Created EBS Instance in Cloud using Backup from the Previous Step and Finish this Guide with issues & Fixes like:
- Base Dire Not Define in Source Context File
- Validation Error Becuase of Grants
- Space Error on Source EBS: GNU Package (misleading Error)
- No SSH Key DefineD
- Image Not avaible in ProvisionEBS.xml
- IP Reservations Not Found
6. Lab Activity Guide VI: Application Tier HA & Scalability
We then move to High Availability, Here we will cover how we can scale up the Middletier of Oracle E-business suite to meet the High availability and Scalability requirement. Step by Step guide on how to add Application tier to the existing E-business suite. This also includes Configuring the Load Balancer, Configuration for multiple Application tier, Sacleup/Scale out the concept, Adding an application node, also we will cover to Monitor all logs and Troubleshooting.
We also cover how you do scale up and how to add another node to EBS Environment on Cloud. We are going to cover this in very deep & dive covering all task on the Cloud.
7. Lab Activity Guide VII: Cloning EBS (R12) Cloud to Cloud
Then we will move to Cloning EBS (R12) Cloud to Cloud. Cloning of Oracle application is one of the most common activity for DBA and when it comes to Cloud more quicker and faster options are expected. Here we will cover various options and techniques of cloning existing Oracle application on Oracle Cloud in clear and easy steps.If you are a beginner and not have knowledge about Clone we will cover that high level and also will cover cloning in Environment
This Guide will cover Options and Capabilities Cloud to Cloud, steps For cloning Cloud to Cloud.
8. Lab Activity Guide VIII: Disaster Recovery (DR) On – Premise to Cloud
Then we move to Disaster Recovery (DR) as Create StandBy (DR) on Cloud. DR setup is one of the entry points to try and test cloud offerings and also safe too. Here we will cover how to set up DR for the on-premise instance over the cloud. How shipping of files happens and complete setup of DR in detail.
9. Lab Activity Guide IX: Security in Cloud – Users | Roles | Firewall
We then move to Security in Cloud. . How do you configure Firewall, How to create Cloud Account and assign them nesessary roles to Users etc. How to manage users in Cloud and of course what roles we can have. This is one of the important aspects of security management. What and how application to be secured over the firewall and how users can access – public or private. We will cover all the aspects here.
10. Lab Activity Guide X: Exploring REST API in Cloud
This is Bonus Guide, where we cover REST API’s in Cloud, Troubleshooting, How to automate some of the Task using REST API’s. In this you will learn How you will create backup folder or storage in REST API’s. REST API one of the activity needed to access, configure and integrate various application may or may not in the same availability zones. Here we will cover all the aspects of practical application and usage of REST API in Oracle Cloud.
Believe me, if you will practice these guides then you will learn and become proficient in Creating and managing Oracle E-Business Suit on Cloud and no one in the market can stop you in getting your dream job and earning the Salary you deserve.
Check out our Build & Manage Oracle E-Business Suite (R12) on Cloud for Beginners at http://k21academy.com/getting-started-ebs-r12-oracle-cloud
Advanced: EBS (R12) on Cloud Like Experts
Once you deploy your first EBS (R12) on Cloud then next is to learn advanced topics covering
A) Configuring & Using Database Cloud Service for Database Tier of EBS (R12) on Cloud
B) Adding additional Middle Tiers on EBS on Cloud for High Availability (HA) at Application Tier
C) Configuring Disaster Recovery (DR) for Oracle EBS(R12) on Cloud
D) Integrating Oracle EBS(R12) on Cloud with On-Premise Identity & Access Management, Notification Mailer, Printer, or any other application still on-premise.
E) Lift & Shift (Migrate) On-Premise EBS(R12) to Oracle Cloud
What Activity Guide, You think is most important one?
Did You Start Your Cloud Journey?
What Help or Query You Have, Related to Deploying or Managing Oracle E-Business Suite (R12) on Cloud?
If you are an Oracle Apps DBA and just starting out your journey to Oracle public Cloud then we will highly recommend you to download our Free Guide that contains 3 Docs every Oracle Apps DBA must read in order to manage and migrate Oracle EBS R12 on Oracle Cloud. Click on below link to get the Guide.