This post covers Live Demo of creating Oracle Databases on Oracle Public Cloud i.e. Oracle Database Cloud Service (DBCS) from where I asked our Oracle Database Cloud Administration (Cloud DBA), Trainer Rajeev, to show “How to Create Oracle Database on Oracle Cloud“. He not only covered how to create Oracle Database on Cloud but also explained various options like Identity Domain, Metering/Payment Frequency
- If you are an Oracle DBA and wondering what are roles & responsibilities of Oracle DBA in Cloud (or tasks performed by Cloud DBA) then check http://k21academy.com/cloud12
- If you want to Learn Oracle Cloud DBA quickly like expert or get Oracle Cloud certified then make sure you complete these Lab Exercises
Oracle Database Cloud Service (DBCS) is part of Oracle’s Platform as a Service (PaaS), other flavors of Cloud are IaaS & SaaS.
As shown in the video below, First login to your Oracle Cloud Account and click on Database. Now click on Open Service Console and then click on Create Service to create a database on the cloud.
You will see 3 tabs there.
- Service: On Service Screen, You can give the Service name, Description, Region (depends upon where you logged in), Service Level (Oracle Database Cloud Service or Oracle Database Cloud Service – Virtual Image), Metering Frequency (Hourly or Monthly), Software Release, Software Edition (like standard edition, enterprise edition, Enterprise Edition- High Performance, Enterprise edition- Extreme performance), Database Type (Single instance or RAC or any other option). After entering all the required details, click Next and you will be navigating to Details Tab.Note: To check Oracle Database Cloud Pricing/Metered/Unmetered/Charges check my earlier post hereNote: To Check software Edition options like SE, EE, EE-HP, and EE-EP check here
- Details: On Details Screen, you can select the required Database Configuration (Like Name, PDB Name, Password, Database Storage, Compute Shape, SSH Public key etc), Backup and Recovery Configuration (Like Backup destination, Cloud Storage Container, Password, Estimated monthly storage etc), Initialize Data from Backup (To create instance from existing Backup) and other Advance settings as shown in video. After entering all the required details, click Next and you will be navigating to Confirm Tab.
- Confirm: On confirmation screen, you can see the set of details you have entered. Check the details thoroughly and click on Create.
Once you click on Create, it starts provisioning the VM and installing the database. It will take around 15-20 minutes to create. Once database is created, you will get the connect string, PDB name and Public IP of the machine. If you will open port 22 (that is ssh port), you will be able to connect to this machine and also access database.
This is just a brief post on creating Oracle Database on Cloud. We cover much more in dedicated modules in our Build, Manage & Migrate Oracle Database in Cloud for DBAs
Download your FREE copy of Step by Step Guide to Register & Access Oracle Cloud.
Are you ready to learn Oracle Cloud DBA?
What’s stopping you from learning Cloud?