This post covers basic concepts around Cloud Computing and three major components i.e. SaaS, PaaS, IaaS (and fourth i.e. important to Oracle DBA’s i.e DBaaS in following post).
What is Cloud Computing: As per Wikipedia Cloud Computing is “Internet Based Computing that Provides Shared Computer Processing Resources on Demand”
Here’s an introductory video for Cloud Computing explained in simple terms :
The three broad categories in which Cloud Computing has been divided are : SaaS, PaaS and IaaS.
A) IaaS stands for Infrastructure as a Service, involves hardware and software combinations to build everything on your own. Three main part of computing i.e. CPU, Memory and Disk can be rented/provisioned on the cloud . Example of IaaS is Amazon’s S3, Google Compute Engine, Oracle Storage Cloud, or Oracle Bare Metal Cloud
B) PaaS stands for Platform as a Service, involves tools and services to develop and deploy applications. Example of PaaS are Google App Engine, Java Cloud Service, Database as a Service, etc
C) SaaS stands for Software as a Service, involves a ready-made applications to be used by its end-users. Example of SaaS are Gmail, DropBox, Oracle Fusion Applications, SalesForce, Workday etc
You can watch more in detail about cloud computing SaaS, PaaS, IaaS in this video below
What are Characteristics/Benefits of Cloud:
- On-Demand & Self Service hence services can be provisioned quickly
- Pay as You Go: Services are Measured and Metered that pay for what you use.
- Multi-Tenancy : Assume living in one of many Flats in Big Building as rented space
- Secure: Against all myths, Cloud Computing is more secure as cloud computing companies spend lot of money to ensure Data is safe
- Reliable: Cloud vendors provide highly available computing
- Scalable: Easily extendible or scalable as your demand increases
What are Deployment Model for Cloud:
- Public Cloud : Services are rendered over a network that is open for Public Use.
- Private Cloud : Cloud infrastructure operated solely for a single Organization.
- Hybrid Cloud : composition of private and public usually a composition of services some form private cloud while others from Public Cloud.
- Community : similar to private cloud but extended to small community like serving all Public Departments in England i.e. Police, Fire Brigade, Hospitals
For more Updates, Videos, Quizes or to ask any Question related to Oracle Join Me in our Private Facebook Tribe for Oracle Cloud and Stay Ahead.
Stay tuned for next post on Oracle Database as a Service (DBaaS) for Oracle DBAs
We hope the content was helpful to you, leave your queries in the comment box about what additional topics you would like to see related to Oracle Cloud and don’t forget to share this with friends and colleagues (We all learn better in Group)