As you probably know, Cloud has three Service Models: IaaS, PaaS, and SaaS (If you are new to Cloud and would like to know more about these Service Models then I highly recommend you to watch my previous live at http://k21academy.com/cloudlive01 ).
Note: Oracle has offerings in all three Service Models and both OCI and OCI-C are from IaaS offerings, where OCI stands for Oracle Cloud Infrastructure and OCI-C stand for Classic Version of IaaS Offering.
- Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Classic (OCI-C) is IaaS offering to provide Compute & Network (Shared & IP Networks)
- OCI Classic is based on Nimbula Director (Xen based Hypervisor)
- OCI Classic provides only Virtual Machines (whereas OCI can also provide Bare Metal)
- OCI-Classic (formerly OPC announced at Oracle Open World (OOW) 2014, was renamed to OCI Classic at OOW 2017
- OCI Classic can be deployed as a) Elastic Compute b) Dedicated Compute c) Sparc Model 300
- As of March 2018, OCI-C is available in NAC, EMEA, APAC
- Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI) like OCI-C is also IaaS offering that provides Compute, Network but as Virtual Cloud Network, Availability Domain and additionally Edge Services like Email, DNS, Load Balancer etc (more on Edge Services little later)
- OCI announced in OOW 2017 is re-branding of Bare Metal Cloud Service (BMCS)
- OCI provides both Bare Metal & Virtual Machines (whereas OCI-C provides only Virtual Machine) [Updated on 15th Mar, Thanks Manjunath for pointing out typo]
- Hypervisor in VM option of OCI is based on KVM (whereas on OCI-C this is Xen based Hypervisor)
When to Use What
- Cloud@Cusotmer (More on this in my future posts) is subscription based service where both Hardware & Cloud Software is on Customer Premises, this option as of March 2018 is only available on OCI-Classic
- OCI Classic is available on more Datacenters compared to OCI-Classic
- High-Performance Compute (HPC), Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning (ML) is available only on OCI (as of Mar 2018)
- OCI-C doesn’t provide Bare Metal Option
- EBS (R12) & Database both are supported on both OCI & OCI Classic so you can use either
Stay tuned for my next post on OCI Components like Regions, Availability Domain, Compartments, IAM, Virtual Cloud Network, Edge Services etc
- Follow Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI) concepts like Region, Compartment, VCN, Storage, Availability Domain etc
- Download our Step By Step Guide to Create Oracle Cloud Account and Create Your first Oracle Database or EBS (R12) Instance on Oracle Cloud.